"New" home central heating | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss "New" home central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wibble

Hi

Moved house on 23-12-11 into what we thought was a new home. Have since found out that the house was built in 2007/8 and was moth balled until we brought it. Its a 4 bedroom detached town house and has the following installed:

• Glow-worm 30sxi boiler
  • Honeywell ST6400C controller
  • Glow-worm SS250 unvented hot water cylinder
Some radiators get very hot whilst others only (eventually) get warm on the upper and outer edges. I bled all the radiators and the ones which weren't getting warm and did discharge some of the black sludge (builders had told us that everything had been bled). Re-pressurised the boiler to 1 bar and switched on. Everything seemed to work but no heat. Next day somebody got the radiators working (wasn't told how) and radiators that hadn't being getting warm still weren't.

Builders got the people who did the installation to come out and assess. Their solution was:

• Increase the boiler pressure from 1 bar to 1.5 to 2 bar
  • Up the water temperature to 70C
They said that when they primed the system it had inhibitor but since that was about 4 years ago anything could have been done to the system (drained to avoid frost damage, re-primed without inhibitor hence the sludge etc...).

So basically I have a "new" home with a CH system which I'm not even sure is 100% running smoothly. I suggested fitting a magnaclean to get rid of the sludge (non-intrusive solution to my mind) but they reckon there's no point. Would it be a good idea to fit one?

Also the boiler always seems to be making a sound, think the fan is always on and it seems to be 24/7 (e.g. checked it at 2:20 in the morning and it was doing something). This is even though the controller is set to do nothing on the hot water or CH front. Is that normal?

Honestly I'm at a loss on how to progress this one. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

you need a good gsr engineer to check it over for you,a magna clean is a good idea,glowworms are not the best,but thank your lucky stars its not got a ideal icos fitted instead,and welcome to the forums

It is unlikely to be sludge in a sealed system if it had inhibitor put in. A bit of black water doesn't necessarily mean sludge. Probably more of a balancing thing (including the cylinder).
Get the next crew to drain and refill the system, adding inhibitor and balance the system out. It will take them a couple of hours to a half day depending on how many rads you have.

Moved house on 23-12-11 into what we thought was a new home. Have since found out that the house was built in 2007/8 and was moth balled until we brought it.
The house will be covered by the NHBC 10 Year warranty, or something similar. However, heating systems are often covered for only two years. But as you are the first owners, I think you could reasonably argue that the warranty did not commence until you purchased the house, so you can claim under the warranty. Your solicitor would be able to advise you on this.

dito the above, speak to the builder. The warranty for the heating is between you and the builder and should start from purchase date. It should not matter when the installtion was done. It sounds like the system needs flushing, and inhibitor adding, also if the boiler was installed years ago then has it got a warranty? if not then i would question if its needs changing for a new one so you have a manufactures warranty.

if you get excusses from the builder then phone the nhbc directly, your 10 year warranty should be from the date of purchase. You should have a nhbc certificate to rpove this in your hand over pack.

most 'new cars' are 1-2 years old before being sold as they are stood in fields if demand is not high.
the warranty starts when you but it as first registered. same goes for a new purchase of any kind.imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back