new installation | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss new installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed mate indeed. Sorry I know it's off topic. Where in the country is your new venture starting??

ive got his dates from the mybuilder site he is on which he can put in himself i think, but the gas safe is confirmed on there site

only 1 rad is cold (1st rad on the sys i think), im going to call him on tues to inform him that i am wanting a proper powerflush and not just some hot and cold
and from co durham , our water looks clean but its cold this time of year lol

Last edited:
The point being those dates are not valid. Does he have all the current skills you require

you could ask him for some phone numbers of his past works (work hes done for clients) and ring them up and ask them etc

Well for example registration lasts 5 years. His cookers are out of date, why leave it on the internet. Makes you wonder what else might be afoot

Sorry buddy. It may be legit but I HATE seeing people get scammed

Sorry buddy. It may be legit but I HATE seeing people get scammed

riley i really do appreciate the help & advice here its gold dust and you guys taking time out from work espesh on xmas day, ive now got all the equipment in the house waiting to be installed, i already sent 1 cowboy running, this is a minefield and wanting the sys to last for years to come

Another thought. Where are you mate??

[DLMURL]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/[/DLMURL]

What happened?

i know you cant judge a book by its cover but 2 guys came (self employed), and just looked at them and said to myself NOWAY, anyway came in and started asking me about how big the gas pipe was where the route is i said ive no idea then saying the gas pipe needs to be re routed outside the house on the wall (yuck) then telling me a hosepipe flush is good as anything then all work to be done in 1 day (without new rads) to keep the price down they said a idealboiler would keep it cheap, just everything about them they were wanting my cash and away they go in the night, then txt me 3 times asking if they could have the job (deleted there number)
anyway u guys have put doubts in my head with the guy ive hired, but for sure its going to get a powerflush and not just hot&cold thats for sure

You as the customer have all sorts of rights to cancel the work. No genuine engineer will mind you querying their credentials

Not for £400 though! I'm not sure how he can install thee boiler and supply pipe, fittings, fixings, sand and cement core drill etc etc etc for that amount

and started asking me about how big the gas pipe was where the route is i said ive no idea then saying the gas pipe needs to be re routed outside the house

Sensible, conscientious, professional questions. You're having a high powered boiler, you need to ensure the gas supply pipework is sufficiently sized. It's much less disruptive to run a pipe outside than it is to disturb floors and / or chase walls for a new pipe run. I'd fit an Ideal Vogue over a Worcester any day. I think your snap judgement may have been a touch hasty... :)

You get the UKPF mickey taking guarantee though :wink:

the guy ive booked to do the job checked the gas pipe thats connected to the boiler said there wont be a issue getting access to it as the new unit is going straight above and can adjust the pipework (i should imagine bigger pipe) this is not my career field , i am trusting the installer for his experience

the guy ive booked to do the job checked the gas pipe thats connected to the boiler said there wont be a issue getting access to it as the new unit is going straight above and can adjust the pipework (i should imagine bigger pipe) this is not my career field , i am trusting the installer for his experience

Not doubting his integrity but it takes more than the few inches of pipework above the boiler to be upsized to deliver the full gas rate. Did he actually measure the gas working pressure at the meter and boiler, and gas rate the boiler?

You're going from a Thorn Apollo which vary from 11 to 18.3KW depending on model, to a 34KW boiler. Much more power, not even taking into account that modern boilers demand far more gas than older ones to run efficiently and safely. Depending on the length of pipe run, that's going to need a fair bit of pipe upgrading.

I think you really, seriously need to look beyond the price, stop focusing on what you've gleaned from YouTube, and get a few recommended professionals in to quote. Online reviews don't really mean a lot. Get personal recommendations. This really is a case of you having a little knowledge, which is leading you to make potentially dangerous decisions.

Or you can ignore our professional advice. Your call.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive no idea how he is doing for 400 and gleeming reviews from years inc pics shown look prof to me all pipes square on the wall etc , agreed not powered flushed but that is going to be adressed in a few days (not over xmas) which will put the price up i think

end of the day he is a gas safe approved

Your mind is obviously made up. Best of luck, I hope all goes well...

As long as you're happy my friend that's all that matters.

Wouldn't go Worcester tho....

Merry Christmas!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys Im doing a new build near Brecon...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
The burner output might be the problem, I’m...
Replies
Views
My advice for what it's worth is it not the...
Replies
Views
You got it mate should save a few quid over...
Replies
Views
Back