New workshop unit | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss New workshop unit in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

great news colin, it's a great bonus to have your shop window on a busy main road, guaranteed to pick up more work,
just need to get yourself a right good shop sign, and maybe a headline opening offer to draw the punters in.

I'm exited for you Colin I was picturing it as a double or triple garage size but that is huge!

Are you allowed to use it as retail premises though with customers coming in looking and bathrooms?

Do you have to pay business rates? Sorry to go on like a guy in a suit.

Yes mate can also be used for retail, next door is a craft business. Rates are 100 pet cent tax deductible. Send a giant poster of your JOTM for the window! LOL

The centrepiece of me and my dad's workshop in the mitre saw on a home made saw bench, everything is set up around this so lengths of wood can be fed straight into it, its screwed down and I would grind the screwheads off for security but I often have to take it on site.

We also have a large L shape workbench with a further workbench behind, pipe racks full of pipe and timber and an area for 8x4 sheets.

Are you making for own workbenches or buying?

You can ask pal. I can't believe my luck as its only 400 quid a month. A comparable unit would cost double that. Plus it's got gas central heating and a new Worcester combi!
someone up there is doing me a good turn. LOL

Four eight a year, ooh someone's doing well! Is that the mod money coming in? :lol:
I wish! If I was paid for being on here, I'd be able to retire a rich man.
That's a good price, especially when I'll have a showroom to bring in the pennies to pay for it.

Most are in oak or ash but we all know the story behind ash now so it will be scarce soon. Some are in furniture grade pine board and the budget ones are laminate which I hate doing but are still better than the cheap imported tat you get in showrooms.

I'll post pics of the unit next week and it will show what it looks like before it's kitted out.

You can ask pal. I can't believe my luck as its only 400 quid a month. A comparable unit would cost double that. Plus it's got gas central heating and a new Worcester combi!
someone up there is doing me a good turn. LOL

1000 sq ft of retail space for £4.80 psf/pa?

I pay twice that for warehouse space on an out-of-the-way industrial park.

Deeply jealous, but looking forward to the pics.

PS - don't start exporting bathrooms down south, we don't need any more competition thanks. :)

Plus Ray, it's bang smack in the centre of town. Can't believe my luck. It's a modern well maintained unit too. Really excited (bet you can tell) about this and looking forward to next year.

Plus Ray, it's bang smack in the centre of town. Can't believe my luck. It's a modern well maintained unit too. Really excited (bet you can tell) about this and looking forward to next year.

Hey, I got excited earlier this year putting up a new 10ft x 8ft shed. That's a lousy 80 sq ft - imagine the fun of kitting out 1000 sq ft? Not sure about letting customers in though - they might spoil the exclusive ambience! ;)

you hide it well if you are excited system 3 ! that is a very good price for the size. and all VAT deductable. i think landlords/owners of commercial premises dont care to much about the rent if its looked after and long term type of thing. but anyway get the plasma and the sky tv up !

i think landlords/owners of commercial premises dont care to much about the rent if its looked after

Could you please come and explain that to some of my landlords? :)

Joking aside, it is a good time to be taking on commercial property. A year or two ago, the rules changed, and now landlords have to pay rates on empty buildings. Before that change, they could hold out for a higher rent- it wasnt actually costing them anything to let a building sit empty.

It doesnt apply so much to the big estates, which tend to be owned by massive property investment funds, but if you see a small individual unit, or a shop in a secondary trading area (ie not main shopping centre) you can pick them up quite cheaply.

The only word of warning is - don't invest too much on fitting out unless you have a long lease. If the property market picks up in a few years time when your lease expires, or your rent review is due, the boot will be on the other foot, and if the landlord sees that you have invested a lot on fit-out, it gives him lots of leverage on the negotiation.

Could you please come and explain that to some of my landlords? :)

Joking aside, it is a good time to be taking on commercial property. A year or two ago, the rules changed, and now landlords have to pay rates on empty buildings. Before that change, they could hold out for a higher rent- it wasnt actually costing them anything to let a building sit empty.

It doesnt apply so much to the big estates, which tend to be owned by massive property investment funds, but if you see a small individual unit, or a shop in a secondary trading area (ie not main shopping centre) you can pick them up quite cheaply.

The only word of warning is - don't invest too much on fitting out unless you have a long lease. If the property market picks up in a few years time when your lease expires, or your rent review is due, the boot will be on the other foot, and if the landlord sees that you have invested a lot on fit-out, it gives him lots of leverage on the negotiation.

Good advice ray hard to think of them things if not used to this sort of business

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
You will not have room behind an integrated...
Replies
Views
thanks Riley, i will try what you suggested...
Replies
Views
Or it’s upside down with the same problem
Replies
Views
Back