newbie to the forum, needs advice on central heating | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss newbie to the forum, needs advice on central heating in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rom stats are important in that they're your main comfort control ... TRV;s are then individual room temp controls when the heating is on :) Look at how you can section off (zone) your home for heating needs .... bedroom first thing and last thing is different to living area during the day! That's zoning spycatcher. You can have as many zones as you like to be honest! A trv is a kind of seporate zoning device ... :)

cheers steveb do the seperate room thermostats just wire straight into the worcester or do i need a seperate controller

wish i had 5 grand never mind 9 :)

i get what your saying diamondgas just not sure how to wire it up :)

i get what your saying diamondgas just not sure how to wire it up :)

That'll come to you in time :)

Do a search on 'S'Plan heating systems or check out the honywell website ... some good advice on there regars wiring heating systems IMHO :)

Hi spy catcher as your property is in Scotland the building reqs are different than in england, zoning has not got this far yet! Just trvs and room stat as far as I am aware.

hi tbservices, i do understand that, as i said in my previous post i do intend getting in a gas guy to check my work before it gets switched on

the only reason i picked a worcester was because there is a combi one in the house we are in at the moment and has given us no trouble whatsoever

the reason i came onto this forum was to get advice from proffesionals. what boiler would you suggest?

I personally would never sign off anyone else's work, it's not worth the risk. Don't take this the wrong way, but you're essentially asking someone to put their livelihood on the line so you can pay them the bare minimum. A little unfair as I see it.

I have an older worc combi and it's great, but the build quality has taken a nosedive and they aren't as good now. Ask ten installers what they recommend and you'll get ten different answers, I personally like Vaillant, but there's a lot of boilers I've seen people raving about here that I've never installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi spy catcher as your property is in Scotland the building reqs are different than in england, zoning has not got this far yet! Just trvs and room stat as far as I am aware.

That's where local knowledge comes in handy :) However, zoning is a good way of reducing costs IMHO :)

I personally would never sign off anyone else's work, it's not worth the risk.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree TBServices ... My next suggestion to spycatcher was that he gets on board a local GSR who is happy to overlook his work and do the gas and boiler install! Pay some kind of consultancy fee for their expertise?

Agree with you dg but as spycatcher said he was trying to save some money I was only chipping in with my two pence, hope I have not caused any offence. Agree with tb also, find a gsr how is happy to help and give info for a fee

Last edited:
as i've said ealier i came to this site for profesional advice and if the consensus is i should get a registered gas fitter to fit and commision the boiler and do the rest myself then i will, i'm not trying to take the bread out of your mouths, just looking for advice

i'll look up the honeywell site and look into valiant boilers to

i do apreciate all your advice

Agree with you dg but as spycatcher said he was trying to save some money I was only chipping in with my two pence, hope I have not caused any offence.

Not at all Atouchofgas :) I am as you are ... gasman/plumber helping out here :) I was not aware that the regs were different in Scotland TBH, You'd have thought Scotish regs would have honed in on zoning B4 The London/English mob. It being a wee bit colder our neck of the woods :)

as i've said ealier i came to this site for profesional advice and if the consensus is i should get a registered gas fitter to fit and commision the boiler and do the rest myself then i will, i'm not trying to take the bread out of your mouths, just looking for advice

i'll look up the honeywell site and look into valiant boilers to

i do apreciate all your advice

Take the flack! :)

We're not here to dissuade you from doing as much as you can yourself spycatcher, It may pay however to get the boiler installer on board earlier rather than later, be dead upfront! If it were me I'd need to know that you'd done a decent installation before I put my name to it!

You would have thought so to, but most of the regs you guys have to adhere to are not applicable up here, poss we don,t like being told what to do! Lol

mibby i'll just go electric

save the grief :)

Check out the electricians forum ... you may find a few hurdles to get over there too spycatcher :lol:

End of the day you're the one choosing to DIY. Personally I think you've chosen the best forum to get knowledge ... Start the threads, make your decision on what you're advised and make your home the place you want it to be! My advice would be 'know your limitations and know when to get a professional in'!

If your house layout suits the pipe runs it may be better to fit a twin coil cylinder, 1500 x 450mm, bigger if you have space, and fit a stove with a boiler.
If you use the stove much (which you probably will) that will effectively give you free hot water. It takes a lot of energy and gas to heat a tank of water. About 11.5kw/hr for 200 litres (90p¿ on lpg) so a saving of £250+ / year.
Things like this is why you should get a pro on board at the design stage where they will be more willing to participate and supervise and test and commission on completion.

Lovely part of the country btw :smile:

Judging by my experience you don't want to ask anything in the Electrical forums unless you're a full blown qualified electrician. They guard their trade too much and feel everyone else is out to kill themselves.

thanks diamondgas, i'll keep plugging away :)

my background is computers / electronics, we tend to share info quite easily there, i didnt realise i would be treading on so many toes

tamz your suggestion of the twin coil system, would you be using one coil for the gas boiler and the other for the stove or are they all hooked up together

there is a wooded area up the back of the house, albeit on a steep slope, so plenty free firewood :)

thanks diamondgas, i'll keep plugging away :)

my background is computers / electronics, we tend to share info quite easily there, i didnt realise i would be treading on so many toes

tamz your suggestion of the twin coil system, would you be using one coil for the gas boiler and the other for the stove or are they all hooked up together

there is a wooded area up the back of the house, albeit on a steep slope, so plenty free firewood :)
yes :)

cheers dancinplumba

do you know how the lpg deal works,

i get the idea that with calor if you lay the plinth and dig the trench they will come and fit the tank for free and a rental thereafter, at the same time install a boiler for x amount

are there other firms to try for a quote other than calor

cheers dancinplumba

do you know how the lpg deal works,

i get the idea that with calor if you lay the plinth and dig the trench they will come and fit the tank for free and a rental thereafter, at the same time install a boiler for x amount

are there other firms to try for a quote other than calor
yes lots, imo calor are dear do a google search,
why not stick solar panels up generate your own leccy and fit ground source or air source heat pump in ?

i'll do a search then

i've looked at solar and ground source but not air source, never heard of it in fact, i'll look it up

the problem is the huge outlay, which i dont have and the fact i would prob be long deid before it paid for itself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Its a Combi. Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar...
Replies
Views
Back