Oil boiler flame cuts out but no lock out and cycles continuously | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil boiler flame cuts out but no lock out and cycles continuously in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the solenoid on Friday.
Will report back then thanks.

Might well be solenoid in this case, but Riello oil pumps cause same symptom sometimes. Seen them running for a many minutes from cold start & then "slipping" causing the burner to try to ignite again & again in little bursts.

Could be faulty oil pump that when gets hor loses pressure. Check with gauge. If it was photocell I would expect it to go to lockout. I would then go for control box. There could be more than one fault
As said earlier check with gauge

Hi all,
Have now replaced coil.......no change, runs for 20 mins from cold and then turns off and when restarts just cycles round flame starting up and cutting out after a few seconds, but no lock out.
Same inside chamber or out incidentally.
So.....Oil pressure from pump or photocell(which appears to work on a simple ohms test) or control box?
Thanks again for all the help.

Hi all,
Have now replaced coil.......no change, runs for 20 mins from cold and then turns off and when restarts just cycles round flame starting up and cutting out after a few seconds, but no lock out.
Same inside chamber or out incidentally.
So.....Oil pressure from pump or photocell(which appears to work on a simple ohms test) or control box?
Thanks again for all the help.

You would have been better with a photocell & control box with you & tried them starting with the photocell, as you only need 20min to wait. Either of those parts can do same symptom but personally I always am wary of Riello oil pump. Riello solenoids are rarely faulty. If you are confident to open the oil pump you could check to see if any serious wear inside it. You would need a new oil pump with you if it all goes wrong though! :smile: Here's my way of checking the pumps if you are interested, - Remove the oil pump cover with burner in normal vertical position & take filter off. Often the O ring seal is stuck to the pump body & you then need to push it into the groove on the cover. Now turn the burner so the pump is horizontal (this will stop the gears falling out) & remove 2 of the 3 screws on the gear cover. Slacken the 3rd screw & turn the cover to the side & take a look at the pin from the shaft to the gearing. If it is cut into the gear then it might be slipping. Don't overtighten the gear cover screws if pump is okay.

Last edited:
Ok
I have now tried shorting out the photocell on a switch.
So wait for it fire up turn switch short on.
Runs fine.
System turns boiler of after everything piping hot.
I open short.
When system calls for boiler again it fires up I throw switch flames stays on.
I am obviously doing this only in attendance as I'm overiding the safety device.
So thinks me , it has to be the photocell!
And amazingly, yes I can get one in this god forsaken place.
So bang it in and voila......................................no change!!!!! (Yes I have checked that there is nothing stopping photocell seeing flame)
I reckon I have proved pump and motor and pressure and everything like that?
Must be the control box right?
Please tell me if I'm wrong.... Thankyou my patient friends. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
Hi John, yes I think you are spot on, if the...
Replies
Views
..Thanks, i am wondering if we can keep the...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
If i turn the temperature dial right down on...
Replies
Views
Back