Oil Boiler Replacement | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Oil Boiler Replacement in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you buy it in northern ireland is it bought from grant uk in devizes or grant ireland. If you buy a boiler in northern ireland from grant uk then you are right, if you buy it in northern ireland from grant ireland then the warranty is claimed from grant ireland.
Grant uk will have sewn up all the loopholes to stop cut price boilers being bought in ireland and people claiming off them in devizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as you can't bye from grant direct you get them from a supplier and as we bye from a uk supplier in the uk I guess we would come under uk warranty as we are in uk
As I have said we are in united kingdom as are you lol

I have been surprised just lately that oil boiler prices have gone down recently. As much as a couple hundred.

That's good news ... more profit cos my prices aren't going down to match!!

Well if you buy it in northern ireland is it bought from grant uk in devizes or grant ireland. If you buy a boiler in northern ireland from grant uk then you are right, if you buy it in northern ireland from grant ireland then the warranty is claimed from grant ireland.
Grant uk will have sewn up all the loopholes to stop cut price boilers being bought in ireland and people claiming off them in devizes.

We are both presuming we both right if you want them cheaper e mail and ask them there policy

I will email grant uk and see what they say I will let you know what they say but I suspect they will say what they told me 10yrs ago, I have no reasin to believe their policy has changed but we will see.

If i buy a bmw from a uk dealer.....i bring the car to ireland i go to bmw ireland with a warranty claim they don't tell me take it back to the dealer where you bought it(even though they might like to) they have to deal with it wheter they like it or not....and this is under eu law and i'm sure grant are governed by the same policies even tho they may tell you otherwise....think its more of a citizens advice/trading standards issue.....and i bet if you pushed grant uk about it they would soon change their tune, one thing i'll bet if you had a warranty claim it won't be a grant teckie from ireland coming out to you....

An interesting thread that stimulates the grey matter it would be interesting to get a definitive answer and also why can you get the boiler cheaper in northern ireland which is in the uk. Would the suppliers sell to mainland uk for the same price or are there certain fees added like shipping charges etc. Some years ago it was cheaper to import a british car from say germany than it was to buy in this country, they closed that loophole eventually by slapping all sorts of fees to import it so it ended up not being cheaper.

With a lot of homes here in N. Ireland using oil & a few fairly local big oil boiler manufacturers like Warmflow & Grant, prices seem to be competitive.
Worcester Bosch had, perhaps very wisely, made standard eff utility boilers (when they were still ok to use) that were for N.Ireland, that were priced to match or beat local or other makes. Very good they are, for the money.

£2,500 sounds reasonable. Don't forget it's not just a case of ripping out the old and whacking a new one in - the system needs to be flushed, controls updated to comply with building regs (and for efficiency) plus making good. Also if you're not really prepared spending money on improve the efficiency of the system, there's not much point in changing the boiler in the first place.

You may get it a bit cheaper if you buy a cheapo boiler like a Warmflow as opposed to a more expensive one like a Grant or a Trianco, but its false economy as you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I have received a reply from grant

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grant Ireland distribute boilers into Northern Ireland. There are slight differences between the Irish boilers and our UK range but Grant UK would not be able to warranty any boilers brought in from Ireland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So it would seem that the boilers bought in Northern Ireland are supplied by grant in southern ireland and not from grant uk. It seems there is a difference between irish boilers and uk boilers has anyone any idea what that is.
[/FONT]

I know a lad who about ten years ago would take land rover and trailer over to ireland and buy boilers and oil tanks at cheaper prices and bring them back over to england and install. He stopped doing this due to changes in regulations (not sure what) and manufacturer not honouring warranty.

Thanks, Kim. Maybe the only real difference is the price. Wonder how Grant, or any company could legally get away with not giving a warranty just
on their boilers bought in one part of the UK.
Perhaps they can bend the rules to discriminate against mainland UK, but can't see how they could refuse to offer a warranty if anyone bought a boiler from here in NI.
This must be almost unique & I think Grant would have to honour the warranty somehow. Must check in Grant documents supplied with their boilers to try to find where they state that the warranty for a UK boiler from here will have no warranty in rest of UK.
Any of you guys have a legal background that could comment?
Thought maybe loads solicitors, lawyers etc may have done plumbing courses as you can make 70k as a plumber apparently! :grin:

I have checked the warranty on uk boilers it does stipulate it covers warranty on boilers installed in uk mainland and isles of scily and other places some of which there may be special arrangements, I wonder what the irish warranty says probably only those installed in ireland. The trouble is it would be cheaper to get the boiler repaired than take on a big company.

I have had customers in the past whos heat exchanger sprang a leak after 4yrs and the companys make it so akward to try and claim the warranty that the customer ends up buying a replacement water jacket at trade price (as a concession) minus the burner.

As I understand the trading standard laws in uk if there is a problem with the item you bought you have to go to the supplier which in our case is usually the plumber, he should then arrange for it to be fixed because the contract is with him and not the manufacturer, the plumber then has to go to the manufacturer to get it sorted in practice the manufacturer gets it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked some of the paperwork that Grant supplied with one of their Vortex boilers bought here in N. Ireland & it clearly says it is Grant (UK) Limited, Wiltshire, & gives the fax & phone numbers!!!
So no problem if it had been taken to rest of UK & installed. It is also, obviously identical boiler, as it gives all detail.
Will check other boilers paperwork.

Seems grant uk are trying to protect their retailers......but i'm sure its probably illegal.......we all no grant have no manufacturing facility in the uk.... so all the boilers are manufactured to the same spec one would think.....just a different price tag/mark up...... and if bought in belfast and fitted in essex....surely no different than buying in herts and fitting in essex..... all uk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
When replacing an old Certikin 180 oil pool...
Replies
Views
They claim 120L available at 20LPM at a 40C dT...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
Back