Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? | Bathroom Advice | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

LCV

Hi,

My family have just moved back in from a house renovation just before the Easter bank holiday. When I turned on the tap in the kitchen to wash up and it takes over 3 mins before the water was hot enough to wash up. I had a large kitchen sink put in and I managed to fill that up with cold water which I had to then drain away to replace it with the hot water. It would have been faster (and used less water) if I had boiled the kettle for the hot water. I now wash my hands with cold water after I have used the toilet because it takes so long and as a family so much water is wasted while we wait for it to be hot enough to bathe and shower.

I feel concerned. Is this normal? Before the renovation I did not have to wait long to get hot water to all my taps.

We had a Vaillant system boiler with a 250L indirect hot water cylinder put in. The previous combi boiler was moved from the kitchen to the Utility room. The kitchen is at the front of the house while the Utility room is at the back of the house on the same floor. The previous house was over 3 floors with 2 bathrooms and a loft conversion has taken it to 4 floors and 3 bathrooms. We were told that we would have to wait up to a minute to get hot water in the loft which we said we were fine with but it is actually a lot longer than that and we certainly did not expect the rest of the house to be affected in this way.

I will go back to the plumber to discuss but wanted to get your views and advice first. I am really hoping the problem is to do with a setting on the boiler.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
must be one bloody big house to have a sprinkler system fitted you sure you dont mean fire alarms?

Are you pulling through just hot water or a mix of hot and cold

Just turned the hot handle.
Tap.jpg

Unfortunately, for us, a recent change in building regs means that if a house is over 4+ floors they must fit a sprinkler system.

bet that cost you a bit :(

We have actually spent all our life savings renovating the house. That is why I feel so upset this has happened. I woke up feeling completely depressed today.

I don't even understand how this could have happened. I did my reference checks and visited two of their previous clients whose houses were much bigger than mine and their renovation more complicated and they couldn't praise the builder and team highly enough. Their other client I spoke with was an Architect and the renovation on his house won them a very prestigious award. They had new heating and hot water systems put in.

I actually feel cursed. Sorry just feel upset about the situation. I spoke with Mak yesterday and he said the only solution is to have a secondary return put in. I have no idea whether they would agree to it and I can't bear the thought of moving out again living out of boxes and seeing my house being smashed up when we have just moved back in. It was May 2015 when works started on the house.

Please keep the thread on topic Shaun, we are now over 100 posts and nowhere further forward than post #1 for crying out loud.

you wont get any further until she gets a g3 eng out to check the system mate sorry to say

G3 means that they are qualified in working in domestic hot water in your instance the ability to work on and install invented hot water cylinders. One would hope that your plumber was otherwise you could have a bomb waiting to go off in your utility room. Not wanting to put the frighteners on but it's true. Most will have a card, often if they are gas safe then they will have it on their gas safe account

they should have a card with the words unvented cylinders

He has never given or shown me a card but I think he is gas safe registered because he made the connection for my gas cooker. I will look him up on the gas safe register and find out.
Thanks!

the hot water cylinder is on the ground floor in the utility room with the boiler.

any luck with finding out if hes qualified/ registered ? if you can find any info on him have a look in the boiler manufactures instructions (servicing/ commission) in the back hes details and gas safe no should be there if hes gas safe,

if not call gas safe out and ask them to have a look at the install

I only know the builder's team so electrician, plumber, carpenter, tiler etc on a first name basis. From the replies here I know he needs to provide me with paperwork for me to submit to building regs so he must have to put down his full details on that.

Also, does he need to provide me with a plan showing the layout of the pipework?

Hi Shaun - erm the back of the boiler manual is blank. Is this the paperwork that he is meant to provide me with? perhaps he forgot to do that or I need to ask him to complete it. Is it usually done as a matter of course after a completed install?

I only know the builder's team so electrician, plumber, carpenter, tiler etc on a first name basis. From the replies here I know he needs to provide me with paperwork for me to submit to building regs so he must have to put down his full details on that.

Also, does he need to provide me with a plan showing the layout of the pipework?

no, but they may be marked on the builders plans (long shot),

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be the washer in the tap itself.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Do you have a water cistern in the loft that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's not what I meant. Are the hot and cold...
Replies
Views
Back