party political broadcasts | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Whyme
  • Start date
  • Replies 97
  • Views 1K

Discuss party political broadcasts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got married in a masonic lodge. had a choice of upstairs in a weird room with a chessboard like floor or downstairs. Plumped for downstairs as it looked less hammer horror,esq.

That weird room with the chequered floor would have been the main temple. You should have gone for that as the opportunity doesn't arise often.....

I'm 43 only voted once and that was the last time..I voted Conservative....didn't want Blair's gang in anymore..I just posted my vote yesterday and I voted UKIP.

I'll happily debate both the positive and negative impacts of British colonial history with you Mas - but perhaps on another thread. However, wheeling out "colonialism guilt" without an enormous contextual background as part of this debate is roughly as useful as shouting "racist".

Come on Ray, nobody is wheeling out colonial guilt. I am making the point that Britain opened it's doors to immigration both as a recompense of sorts to the colonies, but also when cheap labour was needed. It is very mealy-mouthed to now turn round and say, "sorry we've decided we don't like foreigners after all".

Before answering this thread, I thought I had better check my facts. So I re-read the official UKIP policy on their website. I also read their manifestos for both the European and local elections. I can find nothing there that calls for repatriation, expulsion or anything similar. Or, for that matter, anything remotely anti-muslim.

So I can only see three possibilities.

1) I have missed some critical document which lays out such a policy or
2) That there is some hidden policy set of which you are aware, but I am not
3) That you have been made to think that UKIP has policies which in fact they don't have, by parties or individuals in whose interests it is to rubbish UKIP.

I will confess that I found an excess of material relating to immigration, and (to my mind) insufficient on what I consider to be the core issue of leaving the EU. I think that this is both a tactical and strategic mistage, and had I been asked, I would have counselled against it.

You are not that naive, Ray, and neither am I. Even the BNP don't put overtly racist or xenophobic rhetoric on their public documents. That would be far too honest and also illegal. Look at what an alarming number of UKIP candidates have actually said - what has slipped out when the guard has dropped - THAT is my real problem. That several UKIP candidates have shown themselves to be racist, homophobic and generally unpleasant characters. You don't honestly believe that they have ALL managed to rise to senior positions whilst keeping their true beliefs hidden? I think the party as a whole have no objection to these views, probably support them in private, but in public, profess abhorrence.

An unfortunate choice of metaphor. :)

Deliberate, for dramatic effect. :)

It is a trick as old as politics to impute foul hidden motives to ones opponents, and to seek amongst their more extreme supporters those who can be held up as the "true face" of whatever-it-is-you-want-to-rubbish. It behoves all of us to look more carefully at the actual facts and evidence, and not to take positions based on either emotion or on ethnic, political, religious or sectarian loyalties.

It is also a trick as old as politics to sacrifice the odd scapegoat and deny any that the party as a whole shares their views. I could find racism amongst Tories and quite probably Labour candidates as well. But the sheer number of such statements coming from UKIP candidates, in such a short period of time, shows that there is likely a prevailing sentiment within the party.

But, as I said in our PM exchange, I don't believe for one minute that you are a racist. I understand your discomfort at finding English becoming a minority language in parts of the UK - I also hate the ghetto mentality. But throwing your lot in with UKIP does you a disservice. I also get the point you make about them not being 100% your ideal but the best of a bad lot. But supporting the best of a bad lot lets the worst of the lot sneak in by the back door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the party as a whole have no objection to these views, probably support them in private, but in public, profess abhorrence.

I think we are going to have to agree to differ. I get the feeling that we are the two noisy people arguing furiously in the corner of the bar, whilst everyone else in the pub is wishing we would shut the blinking flip up.

I have just spent an hour writing a book about what is wrong with this country and why and then read it back. Sorry to disappoint those eager to read but i had written a couple of pages of drivel so deleted the lot. If i were a politician then i would probably have posted it. That is not a remark directed at anyone elses posts, just my inability to write a legible post of more than two sentences.

I think we are going to have to agree to differ. I get the feeling that we are the two noisy people arguing furiously in the corner of the bar, whilst everyone else in the pub is wishing we would shut the blinking flip up.

Uncanny that.........

I agree...

Better take my popcorn back then, was hoping for a right old scrap :)
have to say its refreshing to see two men debate politics where they both have very good reasoning for their views and not getting personal with each other, you big girls

I think if one of the rules about voting was that you have to agree 100% with the party you are voting for then nobody would vote. I had to laugh at Labours party political broadcast tonight. Nothing in it about what they will do but all about how the current one is. Now the only other one I have seen was the BNP and most of that was censored so not much to compare with.

Now if somebody comes along and says this is what we are going to do and this is how we are going to do it and it works for me, then they can have my X come election day.

But there's about as much chance of that than there is England winning the world cup.

It's been a controlled debate, I was expecting world war 3.

I'm still undecided, we have different parties over here. 3 I would never vote for, 2 others? dunno yet.

But personally I treat politics like religion. Each man, in his heart of hearts, knows what he is. And that makes it a purely personal matter.

I'm still undecided, we have different parties over here. 3 I would never vote for, 2 others? dunno yet.

But personally I treat politics like religion. Each man, in his heart of hearts, knows what he is. And that makes it a purely personal matter.

bit more hard core I suppose over there with the troubles,i was researching life in Belfast the other day(no work on)its turned into one of the safest citys in the UK now,

bit more hard core I suppose over there with the troubles,i was researching life in Belfast the other day(no work on)its turned into one of the safest citys in the UK now,

Still at high level threats of terrorism though. Every other week there's a new dissident republican group spring up......

Still at high level threats of terrorism though. Every other week there's a new dissident republican group spring up......

must have been strange growing up,thinking I could get kneecapped today or worse,i just had to avoid vennerial disease..

must have been strange growing up,thinking I could get kneecapped today or worse,i just had to avoid vennerial disease..

Dunno, never grew up here, I've only been over here 9 years. I'm a Londoner Paul.

funny-flowchart-8.jpg

I reckon we should ask Dan to re-configure the forum so that this is automatically posted every time the subject turns to religion, politics or Worcester Bosch boilers. :)

I reckon we should ask Dan to re-configure the forum so that this is automatically posted every time the subject turns to religion, politics or Worcester Bosch boilers. :)

Or better still an animated .gif of Father Jack shouting "That would be an ecumenical matter!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Agree completely. I learn't loads, in a nice...
Replies
Views
D
Replies
Views
S
ALL very helpful. Thanks a lot. I'll let you...
Replies
Views
spantik
S
P
Hope to be living the French way next year!
Replies
Views
I
Hi fuzzy. After an interview with the ceo in...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
Back