Pipework for downstairs radiators on new builds | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pipework for downstairs radiators on new builds in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi on some new new build houses I plan to first fix the up stairs radiators in 15mm copper coming up though the floor at the pipe centers for the radiator. i,e rad. length add 45mm per side and the correct distance from the finish wall. However I am debating how to feed the downstairs radiators, this pipe work is usual feed behind the dot and dab plaster. What do people find is the best way of doing this. Thanks for any advice.

10mm plastic coated copper for me. I like to bring the pipe work out at the correct centres for the rad.
Hate the plastic plates behind the rads and feeding the valves like an extension lead.

do you use plastic to go through the joist in the ceiling void then go to plastic coated copper to drop the pipework down in the dot and dab wall?
Yes. Short price of 15, then reduce down to 10mm. Never be tempted to tee off 10mm, it won't work.

Thanks and this causes no problem with the upstairs radiators being feed of 15mm all the way to the rad?

10mm for downstairs rads and 10mm for up else it just looks wrong/odd or even better 15mm for up and 15mm for down

Chalked, do you pipe your first floor rads, up in 15mm coming up through the floor? If using 10mm for downstairs rads.

no he means get as close a you can to the rad and use a 15-10 reducer and go from there

Ok, is there a way of first fixing the downstairs rads in 15mm (without loads of boxing ins) if the ground floor is a solid floor so can't do one drop then go under the floor to feed the rads.

Ok, is there a way of first fixing the downstairs rads in 15mm (without loads of boxing ins) if the ground floor is a solid floor so can't do one drop then go under the floor to feed the rads.

yea but more work chase the pipes in and use either plastic or 15 mm coated copper

we used to do 10mm downstairs and 8mm upstairs off manifolds on the landing, if your going to go behind dot and dab, do it before they put the boards on, its so much easier than chasing and chiselling the dabs then replastering!!

we used to do 10mm downstairs and 8mm upstairs off manifolds on the landing, if your going to go behind dot and dab, do it before they put the boards on, its so much easier than chasing and chiselling the dabs then replastering!!

i like the word used to :D no one should be using 8mm these days for heating circuits/ runs to rads

theres no reason ytou couldnt use 8mm but its a lot of trouble using two sizes just do it all in 10mm of manifolds

yea them horrible 8-10 trv adapters :D

So if it's done all in 10mm copper how do you bring the pipes out to the radiators? Sorry for all the questions have usually just fed the first floor rads in 15 from below, as down stairs has had underfloor heating.

So if it's done all in 10mm copper how do you bring the pipes out to the radiators? Sorry for all the questions have usually just fed the first floor rads in 15 from below, as down stairs has had underfloor heating.

if its upstairs then through the chip straight into valve, down stairs hole in plasterboard with elbow on 10mm pipe behind the plasterboard to get it as tight as possible, of-course all pressure tested before hand, but you never know with spreaders if you pipes are going to be where you left them

is coming up though the chipboard in 10mm not a bad idea as microbore can be knocked and squashed easily? For down stairs are you saying drop the pipes then run them horizontal above skirting board height?

is coming up though the chipboard in 10mm not a bad idea as microbore can be knocked and squashed easily? For down stairs are you saying drop the pipes then run them horizontal above skirting board height?

yea and no, thats how most people i seen do it thats why i like to do everything in 15mm +. and depends on what the builder wants see a few just drop it center of rad straight down and then others bring it down in a corner and either behind the skirting or higher than it

There are several ways and each has its own benefits. The neatest and quickest is 10mm plastic into 1st fix triangles. The best would prob be 15mm copper coated or wrapped fitted inline with the valves, and alternative would be 10mm copper and chrome pushfit rad valve elbows, that would be nester than 15mm. As for upstairs go up the dab and out so when finished they look the same as downstairs.

You will get 15mm pipe behind most dabbed boards.

If you use 10mm as a rule if thumb upsize as soon as possible, but keeps each flow and return under 5m if it's plastic pipe.

Thanks for the replies. Sure I have seen it done dropping 15mm pipes down in plastic in the corner of the wall were the rad is to be then the pipes are swept/ bend so they run just above the skirting board. ( to avoid nails). Then elbowed out in copper. The pushfit elbow is just chased in to the wall. Does his sound right?/ acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
ah ok. Yes they are chasing in at the moment...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun, I need to investigate. I visited...
Replies
Views
  • Question
TRVs are all open as tops removed and pins up...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We're in the process of a kitchen...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Cut exposed pipe at low level and add a...
Replies
Views
Back