Plumbing Vacancy | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Plumbing Vacancy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Well done Keiran.

I hope you get someone decent for the position. You should have plenty of offers. It's just a question of choosing the ''right one''.

Good luck and hope you and your company continue to expand.

well, he did say ''it is a competitive hourly rate for the area''. so we have to take the area into consideration

It is low. 3rd year apprentice rate.
It is good of him to post it up i'm sure someone will be glad of it.

Times really have changed I could not get a labourer for that 10 years ago and half of them wanted a van thrown in too ?
A van alone was 6 k a year back then .
I really do pity the young to be honest
It is people like my father who has been on a 50k a year NHS pension who eat up all the money not all this bash the youngsters they are going to be the poorest pensioners ever !

I enquired about a plumbing job for commercial sector other day advert never said rates so phoned up £18,000 K per annum .
Honestly couldnt believe it plumbing is not the job it use to be

I enquired about a plumbing job for commercial sector other day advert never said rates so phoned up £18,000 K per annum .
Honestly couldnt believe it plumbing is not the job it use to be

It is everywhere my other half is bus / coach driver and round here £7.50 an hour ?
70 kids on board ?
All polish now and doing 15 or 16 hour days ?
No tachos on a service bus so they get away with it !

But this is position for plumber and tiler. Maybe it is 8 pound for plumbing and 8 pound for tiling so together 16 per hour ?:))

The market will sort it out. If Keiran finds a good tradesman happy to take on those terms and conditions, then he has pitched it right.

If not, he may have to up the ante.

Area has a big effect, and he will know his local area better than anyone else.

good luck to you Keiran - nice to see someone expanding. :)

Hi all. I've been reviewing other ads on the Job Centre websites for my area for quite a while now. £8 is around the going rate unfortunately, circa £16k per annum for a domestic plumber.

£64 a day doesn't sound much, but add on 30% to cover on costs for employing someone and you are up to £83.20p. Vans aren't cheap to run either and I will need a second van to employ someone else now plus another set of tools and stock. Basically with the van I reckon it will cost me around £120 per day to employ someone. Clearly I want to make a decent cut on that too if I am going through all the hassle of investing my cash in a 2nd van, stock and tools!

£8/hr is a wage that I can pay on a consistent basis, I would much rather offer that than take someone on for £10-£12/hr and have to sack them because I can't afford them down the line.

The average wage in Lincolnshire is £15k per year sadly, it's not a particularly affluent county.

Around here I can easily get a labourer for minimum wage and there are no shortage of them. We all know that plumbing wages are hugely dependant on the area you are in which is why so many of us go to London for work.

Sadly there is no shortage of plumbers as we all know and wages seem to reflect that.

PS - I should add that gas engineers get much better wages here, around £13 per hour.

Last edited:
The market will sort it out. If Keiran finds a good tradesman happy to take on those terms and conditions, then he has pitched it right.

If not, he may have to up the ante.

Area has a big effect, and he will know his local area better than anyone else.

good luck to you Keiran - nice to see someone expanding. :)

Cheers Ray. Not even sure if there is anyone else from Lincolnshire on here so will be advertising elsewhere too!

Me and my mate (sparks) had a conversation the other day. If you could start put again would you have chosen a trade again. Me prob not. Him no.

Hi all. I've been reviewing other ads on the Job Centre websites for my area for quite a while now. £8 is around the going rate unfortunately, circa £16k per annum for a domestic plumber.

£64 a day doesn't sound much, but add on 30% to cover on costs for employing someone and you are up to £83.20p. Vans aren't cheap to run either and I will need a second van to employ someone else now plus another set of tools and stock. Basically with the van I reckon it will cost me around £120 per day to employ someone. Clearly I want to make a decent cut on that too if I am going through all the hassle of investing my cash in a 2nd van, stock and tools!

£8/hr is a wage that I can pay on a consistent basis, I would much rather offer that than take someone on for £10-£12/hr and have to sack them because I can't afford them down the line.

The average wage in Lincolnshire is £15k per year sadly, it's not a particularly affluent county.

Around here I can easily get a labourer for minimum wage and there are no shortage of them. We all know that plumbing wages are hugely dependant on the area you are in which is why so many of us go to London for work.

Sadly there is no shortage of plumbers as we all know and wages seem to reflect that.

Sadly all the reasons you give are why I got out of the building firm 10 years ago as it became impossible to make a proffit on the workers wages so you had to rely on margins on subbies and materials !
I once had an Architect who said 2 and a half percent was a reasonable mark up ?
Told him my banking charges would not be covered at that !
Still trying to make my mind up what to do as not sure either building or plumbing is what I want and both can be very bad for your health !
Think that hippy van is looking better by the day !

Last edited by a moderator:
Was speaking to a sparks other day who has several employees and if an employer supplies van/fuel/holiday/power tools then £35 per hour gives coverage based on 40 hour week

Was speaking to a sparks other day who has several employees and if an employer supplies van/fuel/holiday/power tools then £35 per hour gives coverage based on 40 hour week
Not sure what you mean ?
I was talking to an alarm company boss and he could not believe 10 years ago as builders we charged between £18 and £25 an hour as back then they were £48.00 an hour and he said it was a struggle !
Having said that I just built an extension at mates rates and was still told I was too expensive at £120 a day !
World has changed a lot can I get off ?

Well my view on it all is that £8/hr is a decent wage around Lincolnshire tbh. It gives me a chance to expand my business and help out customers I am turning away daily at the moment. It gives someone a chance at a couple of extra days work a week I guess. If I can make £50 a day out of employing someone and investing all that money in a van etc I will be quite happy. I don't think that is too much cash to make out of an employee to be honest.

Maybe £8/hr is what is being advertised in job centres but no decent plumber would touch them and if they did it is in desperation and they are off at the drop of a hat.
I hope you realise the standard of plumber you will be targeting at that rate.

I just checked back my books and 1997 was the last time i paid £8.12/hr plus industry pension contributions of 5.5% of the gross (effectively another 45p/hr).

you want to move 20mile to the left kieran, £12 ph here, i think lincs hold all the euro's flock that runs the county down.

close the gate on your way in though.lol

Why would you pay £12 ph to employ someone if you can only charge them out at £200 a day and have to buy tools/van? Makes no sense to me!

Why would you pay £12 ph to employ someone if you can only charge them out at £200 a day and have to buy tools/van? Makes no sense to me!

Still a profit in it at that ?
You also have your margin on materials ?

Well my view on it all is that £8/hr is a decent wage around Lincolnshire tbh. It gives me a chance to expand my business and help out customers I am turning away daily at the moment. It gives someone a chance at a couple of extra days work a week I guess. If I can make £50 a day out of employing someone and investing all that money in a van etc I will be quite happy. I don't think that is too much cash to make out of an employee to be honest.

Fair play to you mate, glad to hear your success.

Hope it works out for you

Why would you buy a van and tools to have someone work 16hrs per week?

I wouldn't get out of bed for £8 an hour, and anyone who works for that is a mug. You'll be sacking lads faster than you can find them the standard you'll get.

I'd rather deliver pizzas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I never have, but if it were a decent place...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
One DM in five years? Congratulations on...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I am looking for an experienced...
Replies
Views
Back