Pressure Test | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Pressure Test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
On all other issues he's spot on and knows his stuff. It's probably more common than people think that people aren't aware of this danger. I mean, testing a system for leak without risk of flooding. What could be better than that?

It is not illegal but it is dangerous and should only be done after a thorough risk assessment and method statement are prepared.
The only pipework to be tested with high pressure compressed air in my view should compressed air lines. Therefore testing of any other pipelines using this method and injury or fatality occurring would mean the party performing this activity would face the full force of the law. Whatever method statements or risk assessments he or she put in place.

I would agree completely you should avoid compressing air too much in a domestic situation as it has too much stored energy which it can release instantly I think you still want to be right no matter how this thread twists and turns he now pressurises to 8 bar whatever next

Tamz- That's perfect. I'm gonna print it out and give it to him. If you ever run for prime minister, you got my vote.

I would agree completely you should avoid compressing air too much in a domestic situation as it has too much stored energy which it can release instantly I think you still want to be right no matter how this thread twists and turns he now pressurises to 8 bar whatever next

Of course I want to be right. Who wants to be wrong? I was taught this so I know it to be true. You're judging my motives incorrectly, though that judgement may be by your own standards.

I'm having a dispute with a gas engineer who insists that it is ok to pressure test pipework with air. I told him it's extremely dangerous. He has since asked Gas Safe and they've told him, apparently, that it's ok too.
Now I know that it is illegal unless it is done under certain conditions such as everyone has to leave the building and a complete risk assessment has to be carried out.

Does anyone know what regulation covers this so I can prove to him once and for all? I can't seem to find it anywhere but I know it exists.

Lol I must of left a lot of exploding houses in my time lol
I pressure test new builds in air in winter and water in summer for obvious reasons
Copper and air exploding lol what about the air around all copper pipework lol

If you ever run for prime minister, you got my vote.

10% tax rate under 50k 75% over 150k
Bankers shot on sight until they clean up their act
No council tax or infact any other tax for pensioners
Benefits stopped and soup kitchens for those on the buroo for more than a year
Free beer and whisky for anyone over 6ft if they are working
I don't think i would get many votes :lol:

10% tax rate under 50k 75% over 150k
Bankers shot on sight until they clean up their act
No council tax or infact any other tax for pensioners
Benefits stopped and soup kitchens for those on the buroo for more than a year
Free beer and whisky for anyone over 6ft if they are working
I don't think i would get many votes :lol:

Where do I make my mark? Sounds about right to me.

When we test pipework its 5 bar that was stated we had to test to before testing with water on the last job ! I know that sprinkler lads pressure test to 15 bar on everyjob before filling with water !

i,d love to be there when you rush up to him and squeal im right lok ive got a piece of paper to prove it could you take a photo

read the piece of paper first the risk posed will be the volume x the pressure you need to understand the risk to manage it

Have I missed something in this thread? :confused5:

Because it would appear that someone needs to have a chat with City and Guilds if pressure testing pipework is so dangerous as to not be worth doing - especially as it's a specific requirement in their exams if the pupil wants to pass.

A direct quote from the C&G exam requirements: Work to be capped where appropriate and pressure tested to 3 bar for three minutes.

Better have a chat with WRAS, too, as the Water Regulations specifically demand the system is tested at '1.5 times the maximum operating pressure for the installation' Water Regulations Guide (Section 4: Guidance clauses G12.1 – 12.3)

When we test pipework its 5 bar that was stated we had to test to before testing with water on the last job ! I know that sprinkler lads pressure test to 15 bar on everyjob before filling with water !
Doesn't make it right, if god forbid an accident did happen then the poo would truly hit the fan.

What a load of absolute ************* this thread is I only read it all in case Keefy had some more pics.......
Someone better get the British standards updated....IGE/UP/1......IGE/UP/1A.......Etc

you can make a risk assessment the guy will use a single phase compressor 3kw probably for a fixed amount of time to achieve a level of compression in a system of known volume so you know how much energy it contains and you know what the possible risk are eg children close by so you know how to manage the risk i would lower the pressure to 1/2 bar which would show leaks but in my view isn't a riskisn't a risk

Doesn't make it right, if god forbid an accident did happen then the poo would truly hit the fan.

No it doesnt make it right in the way its carried out but alot of centres want air test first and a in house cert for that ! They have surveyors and lawyers and that to check all that out first hand and then tell us they want it !

I could write an risk assesment for going on this forum ! Its a joke !

A good mate of mine was badly injured in a accident a few years back, involving compressed air it is not something to be taken lightly and in my opinion should be treated with respect on that note I will say goodnight.

WATER REGULATIONS

G12.1 The whole installation should be tested hydraulically on completion by subjecting all supply and distributing pipes, fittings and connections to appliances, to an internal test pressure of 1.5 times the maximum operating pressure for the installation or the relevant part..

G12.2 For systems that do not include any plastics pipes (that is, rigid pipe materials such as copper, stainless steel, etc), the requirement shall be deemed to be satisfied if:

a. the whole of the system is subjected internally to the test pressure by pumping, after which the test continues without further pumping;

b.

the pressure in the system does not drop below the test pressure over the next one hour period and there is no visible leakage in accordance with Clause 3.1.12.3.3 of BS 6700.

G12.3 For systems that include any plastics pipes, the requirement shall be deemed to be satisfied if, either:

Test A

a. the whole of the system is subjected internally to the test pressure which is maintained by pumping for 30 minutes, after which the test continues without further pumping; and
b. the pressure in the system is care fully reduced to one third of the test pressure; and

c. the pressure does not drop over the following 90 minutes and there is no visible leakage;

or in accordance with Clause 3.1.12.3.4 (Test procedure A) of BS 6700, or

Test B

a. the whole of the system is subjected internally to the test pressure and is maintained by pumping for 30 minutes, after which the pressure is noted and the test is continued without further pumping; and

b.
the pressure drop is less than 0.6 bar after a further 30 minutes; and

c.

the pressure drop is less than 0. 2 bar after the next 120 minutes and there is no visible leakage,or in accordance with Clause 3.1.12.3.4 (Test procedure B) of BS 6700.

im glad in your opinion compressed air should be treated with respect but kimou wants to tell someone he is right and theres a piece of paper to support him but were passing off opinions as fact which there not in kimou opinion he right it doesn't make it fact and getting people to agree doesn't make it more factual

Gas safe has no jurisdiction over pressure testing pipes that contain water, so what was the point of your rgi contacting them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
LPG lock up pressure can be regarded as the...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
C
Charlotte - the noise sounds more like the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back