Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute they have combined ch, tprv and prv together???

where do they all run too ash????

The pic that shows the valve has the 22mm running to it and out the other side to the inlet on the cylinder. The 15mm that comes out the top of the valve runs to the pressure gauge you can see on the EV.

Am I likely to have a nightmare changing this??

Any advice/info appreciated.

The pic that shows the valve has the 22mm running to it and out the other side to the inlet on the cylinder. The 15mm that comes out the top of the valve runs to the pressure gauge you can see on the EV.

Am I likely to have a nightmare changing this??

Any advice/info appreciated.

Replacing the entire combination valves means draining the cylinder in that set up.
no drain off between the cylinder and combi valve?
the valve will have a non return (should do) so no back draining via a mains tap sadly

looking again, is that a valve on the cold inlet?

Last edited:
Replacing the entire combination valves means draining the cylinder in that set up.
the valve will have a non return (should do) so no back draining via a mains tap sadly

Why that's mate? Is it because its below the cylinder outlet? As anyone I've done has been mains off and bone dry?

Why you changing it?

That's what customer wants, she has already had a plumber out who was supposed to do it but hasn't got back to her for a few weeks. Took the part number but hasn't got back it touch. - making me wonder if it's a nightmare job.

looking again, is that a valve on the cold inlet?

There's a isolation valve at the component itself.

No drain off between the component and cylinder.

Forgot to take a pic of the 15mm to the top of the cylinder. where would that be going any ideas?

Why that's mate? Is it because its below the cylinder outlet? As anyone I've done has been mains off and bone dry?

Thanks for your replies so far. Have you changed a valve exactly the same as that before?

I'm hoping it is a matter of mains off and whip it out but reckon i'm looking at a drain down??

Thanks for your replies so far. Have you changed a valve exactly the same as that before?

I'm hoping it is a matter of mains off and whip it out but reckon i'm looking at a drain down??
I've changed about 15 working for the firm I'm with ATM, and genuinely one of the easiest jobs I've ever done long as you can get your spanner n grips in, but I've never had to drain down

I've changed about 15 working for the firm I'm with ATM, and genuinely one of the easiest jobs I've ever done long as you can get your spanner n grips in, but I've never had to drain down

Getting spanner and grips in will be no problem. What about the 22mm that goes in to the inlet on the cylinder? Does that have a non return valve built in?? That's what I wasn't sure about

Getting spanner and grips in will be no problem. What about the 22mm that goes in to the inlet on the cylinder? Does that have a non return valve built in?? That's what I wasn't sure about
Don't think so tbh. That's why I said to billy about drain down as mine I've never had to drain but iirc all my ones I changed were above inlet so perhaps that's why

I'll take a wet vac, 10 dust sheets and crack a nut after I have isolated and see what happens.

Would it be worth fitting one of those easy fit isolators before the inlet do you think? Would save draining down.

Also, depending on if I have to drain down or not what would you guys charge for changing the valve?

Thanks

The multi valve should have a nrv. Also the lever on top is an ISo . I would clean inlet gauze too. Are you g3 qualified? If you turn off ISo and crack prv on head of multi valve it should prove nrv working . Where is expansion for cylinder? Is it a bubble top as if bubble gone you may not even need to change valve. But if your not qualified you should leave it to someone who is as you don't appear competent. Don't mean to. Be rude but if your unsure leave it alone!

Drain down 30 mins
Change valve if like for like 30mins tops
Refill 30mins
For you ask a homer I'd be saying £50 to £60 plus parts

The multi valve should have a nrv. Also the lever on top is an ISo . I would clean inlet gauze too. Are you g3 qualified? If you turn off ISo and crack prv on head of multi valve it should prove nrv working . Where is expansion for cylinder? Is it a bubble top as if bubble gone you may not even need to change valve. But if your not qualified you should leave it to someone who is as you don't appear competent. Don't mean to. Be rude but if your unsure leave it alone!

I do have g3 but haven't really used it. I'm not in a position to turn work down, If I take my time and double check everything I do then I will be capable of changing this. What I am more concerned about is isolating correctly so I don't flood the place. (Obviously it's a confidence issue but whenever I am working the thing that scares me is worrying if I have isolated and drained sufficiently) Once I know I have isolated I'm fine.

I might not be competent as such but if I pass this job on then I won't be confident to do it next time I get the chance. Have to learn some how.

I'd rather appear incompetent on this forum while I'm trying get as much info as possible so that when I do go and do the job I have a better idea of what I'm doing and can appear confident in what I'm doing. If it takes me an hour longer than most but I walk away with the job done correct and no mishaps then I've learnt something and can take that confidence with me the next time I come across this.

I appreciate what you are saying though.

Ash we all had to Learn mate no question is stupid if you don't know the answer

Just looked at pic again is that a 22mm ballofix at cylinder connection.
Be handy if it is

Ash we all had to Learn mate no question is stupid if you don't know the answer

Just looked at pic again is that a 22mm ballofix at cylinder connection.
Be handy if it is

I don't think it is a ballofix, the picture isn't the clearest.....could be a non return valve? (probably wishful thinking).

thanks for your replies.

No defo need to learn. Is there an external expansion vessel for DHW? If not it's a bubble top or a mess. Bubble top is a megaflow type. There should be instructions on cyl as how u should recharge bubble.

Tbh as for draining it, mains off, open prv on combi valve and make sure it terminates correctly and doesn't back up to the tundish.

every time ive replaced a valve ive had the vacuum break letting the contents of the cylinder spill out.

ash how close is it to me and when are you going?
you can meet my short aris'd self :)

No defo need to learn. Is there an external expansion vessel for DHW? If not it's a bubble top or a mess. Bubble top is a megaflow type. There should be instructions on cyl as how u should recharge bubble.

It was a megaflow so hopefully it's the bubbletop. This will be a good job for me to become more familiar with this type of work, I have assisted on a few cylinder installs (I did all the work while working as an improver for a firm but it was when I first started so was a bit much to take in). This I will be able to do at my own pace so I'm looking forward to it.

Haven't read the full thread but if youre struggling to isolate anything why not just stick a lever valve at the base of cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Thanks John. Perfect. Much appreciated.
Replies
Views
Back