Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Price to change a pressure valve on a boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh as for draining it, mains off, open prv on combi valve and make sure it terminates correctly and doesn't back up to the tundish.

every time ive replaced a valve ive had the vacuum break letting the contents of the cylinder spill out.

ash how close is it to me and when are you going?
you can meet my short aris'd self :)

It's in Detling Killy.

I'm not sure when I'll be doing it yet as I have to work around her and as everything is working ok she's not desperate for it to be done. She said anytime over the next 2 weeks will do as she is going away for a week then. I'm hoping to order the part tomorrow or Monday and get it done early next week - all depending on finishing work at a decent hour.

Last edited:
It's in Detling Killy.

I'm not sure when I'll be doing it yet as I have to work around her and as everything is working ok she's not desperate for it to be done. She said anytime over the next 2 weeks will do as she is going away for a week then. I'm hoping to order the part tomorrow or Monday and get it done early next week - all depending on finishing work at a decent hour.

Does she have poor water pressure/flow or is the relief running?
i cant see why to replace it other than them.

i'll send you my number, let me know when you're doing it i'm happy to come along :)
whatever time.

Ok thanks I appreciate it.

The combination valve has a leak on it and the last guy advised to replace. She has a bowl under it and empties it once a week so it's not critical that's it's done immediately.

If it's a megaflow :- defo bubble gone! I wouldn't even order parts !

Doc - drain off chopper

I had one where the valve was leaking from the actuall pressure setting control, needed tightening and done, not bad for £90 odd an hour, good old BG

Really if the bubble has gone when cylinder is hot DHW got no place to expand to so the vale (correct name , expansion relief valve) opens and drops. It's a common fault. Google - recharge air bubble on megaflow .

Really if the bubble has gone when cylinder is hot DHW got no place to expand to so the vale (correct name , expansion relief valve) opens and drops. It's a common fault. Google - recharge air bubble on megaflow .

I'll pop along and help out.

ash have you checked if the relief pipe is running outside?

is the leak coming from the valve body or from the compression to the relief pipe?

No drain off between the component and cylinder.
Thats why the other guy gave them a rubber ear. It will be a pita to drain. Easiest way is screw on one of those self cutting washing machine valves then you can run a hose. You need your unvented ticket to work on this. Btw it is probably not the expansion valve that is at fault. Look elsewhere for the problem. I should read the whole thing before posting. Most likely needs recharging or pressure reducer

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll pop along and help out.

ash have you checked if the relief pipe is running outside?

is the leak coming from the valve body or from the compression to the relief pipe?

I haven't checked the relief pipe.

It's coming from the valve body somewhere or the black part which is at the bottom of the valve, was a bit too tight to get a view from all angles had to just use my hands. I was hoping it was just leaking from one of the nuts but no such luck.

Thats why the other guy gave them a rubber ear. It will be a pita to drain. Easiest way is screw on one of those self cutting washing machine valves then you can run a hose. You need your unvented ticket to work on this. Btw it is probably not the expansion valve that is at fault. Look elsewhere for the problem. I should read the whole thing before posting. Most likely needs recharging or pressure reducer

Thanks. yes the more I think about it a self cutting valve seems likes it's going to be the best option.

Check the air bubble first. (turn the water off drain the taps, open the t/prv until it stops running and turn on again) Megaflows are a pita. They may look neat in a cpd but the air bubble principle is garbage. Far better sticking in a seperate expansion vessel.

Aye but it would run out the tpr valve when it heats too. First thing to check on a megaflow. They need recharging every 3 - 6 months (sometimes longer) and no one ever does it. Also if the pressure reducing valve isn't working properly and the incoming pressure is high it will pass. Very rare for an expansion valve to pass (well it is up this way but we have decent water thats not full of rubbish) as there are no impurities in the water to jamb it open (it should never lift in the first place).

BTW. Charge her properly for your time . She won't do you any favours (unless she gives you a bj then you can knock a tenner off :lol:) and you will be an expensive bstd whether you charge 20 quid or 200. Friends of friends always rip the pysh

Excellent info tonight thanks for all the replies. Plenty to consider. I will order the part anyway (depending on what returns policy is) then check all the other info that has been suggested before I fit it.

Aye but it would run out the tpr valve when it heats too. First thing to check on a megaflow. They need recharging every 3 - 6 months (sometimes longer) and no one ever does it. Also if the pressure reducing valve isn't working properly and the incoming pressure is high it will pass. Very rare for an expansion valve to pass (well it is up this way but we have decent water thats not full of rubbish) as there are no impurities in the water to jamb it open (it should never lift in the first place).

Tprv set at 6.5 or 7 ish expansion relief 3 bar?

Hi guys a quick update.

Myself and Killy went there tonight and got the job done with no trouble what so ever. A massive thanks to Killy who knows his stuff, was patient with me and very helpful at the same time. I felt I learnt something too which is priority for me. Also highlighted the fact to me again I over think things too much which makes things appear complicated when really if I approached things with a bit more confidence my life would be easier lol.

A decent bloke, very laid back and I look forward to repaying the favour in the future, definitely a credit to the forum. Refused to take any money I said I could happily pay him half but he was happy to help.

Top bloke. Cheers Killy.

You have my number Ash, always happy to help you!
i'm sure we will be working together some point soon man.

P.s everyone take note

short jokes apply to ash too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
170L is barely enough for 2 showers for us...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I...
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
  • Boilers
  • Latest:
  • TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Thanks John. Perfect. Much appreciated.
Replies
Views
Back