Problem with Glowworm Hideaway 80B FF boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Problem with Glowworm Hideaway 80B FF boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnjw

My Glowworm Hideaway 80B FF boiler cuts out frequently -several times a day. The green reset light comes on and further operation requires the reset procedure - turning the control knob OFF then ON.
Manual reset does re-ignite the boiler but sometimes ignition seems difficult - firing occurs on second or third attempt.
The boiler is about 8 years old. I have recently had a unvented cylinder system fitted. This has worked without problem for several months but is it possible that the boiler is not suitable for this mains-pressurised system?
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

You need someone to take a look at the reason why it's needing re-setting so frequently johnwm :) :welcome: to the forum :)

It sounds like it could be gas or flue related? that's the main reason the safety cut-off on your boiler turns itself off! Boiler been serviced recently?

Good luck B4 Christmas :)

Just checked the MI's this boiler MUST NOT be connected to a sealed water system

then again, when was it last serviced?

Thanks for replies Redsaw, BuckleyPlumb and nysk2008
The boiler was serviced about 6 weeks ago.
I'm not sure about whether the "heating side is open vented". I think probably not. The unvented cylinder was fitted about 10 months ago mainly because there are three shower systems in the house and the pump used, emptied the original fairly small copper tank too quickly, if more than one person was showering at a time. The plumber suggested the large unvented cylinder would work better- giving more capacity and sufficient pressure (I was told to adjust pressure to about 1-1.5 bar). It has seemed to work well until recently. Shower pressure and hot tap pressure is high.
I presume your query "is the heating side open vented" refers to central heating part of the system? I dont know if the water in the radiators is under pressure. I think it may be and I also think that the small tank in the attic which served as a reservoir and overflow for the CH has been disconnected. I'll try to get more information on this tomorrow.

Thanks for replies Redsaw, BuckleyPlumb and nysk2008
The boiler was serviced about 6 weeks ago.
I'm not sure about whether the "heating side is open vented". I think probably not. The unvented cylinder was fitted about 10 months ago mainly because there are three shower systems in the house and the pump used, emptied the original fairly small copper tank too quickly, if more than one person was showering at a time. The plumber suggested the large unvented cylinder would work better- giving more capacity and sufficient pressure (I was told to adjust pressure to about 1-1.5 bar). It has seemed to work well until recently. Shower pressure and hot tap pressure is high.
I presume your query "is the heating side open vented" refers to central heating part of the system? I dont know if the water in the radiators is under pressure. I think it may be and I also think that the small tank in the attic which served as a reservoir and overflow for the CH has been disconnected. I'll try to get more information on this tomorrow.

Just to confirm - the heating side is not open vented. is this a possible reason for the boiler cutting out?

The boiler is not designed for use on a sealed system so it could be or it could have caused the problem.

Just to confirm - the heating side is not open vented. is this a possible reason for the boiler cutting out?

Highly unlikely in my opinion. The safety cut-off doesn't recognise system design and a normaly working boiler will function as it has been in the past unless an issue has arisen that brings about the safety device operating... IMHO :)

I think you'd be better off getting someone to take a look ...:D

Highly unlikely in my opinion. The safety cut-off doesn't recognise system design and a normaly working boiler will function as it has been in the past unless an issue has arisen that brings about the safety device operating... IMHO :)

I think you'd be better off getting someone to take a look ...:D

i have had someone to look but it's quite difficult to pin down the cause of an intermittent fault. Part of the ignition system was changed but the fault continues.

Did the boiler work ok on the standard open vent system you had previously? The fault may not be directly associated to your recent system conversion but at the end of the day the boiler you have should not be running a sealed system. Id get your plumber back to rectify, assuming he is Gas safe and has his G3 unvented ticket.

i have had someone to look but it's quite difficult to pin down the cause of an intermittent fault. Part of the ignition system was changed but the fault continues.

from memory ignition device is on the main pcb did they change that

from memory ignition device is on the main pcb did they change that

Thanks for the reply. No they didn't change the control board, I think just a couple of electrodes were changed - presumably the pair passing the spark.
The problem has already taken up several hours of plumbers time - do you think replacing the control board might be a sensible move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sounds like there is still air trapped in the...
Replies
Views
Yes normally around 300 for the fixed price...
Replies
Views
In normal circumstances the CH system will...
2 3
Replies
Views
How are you getting on, anything to update?
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Thanks Vee You are absolutely right. Sometimes...
Replies
Views
Back