Pumping over query | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Rautospoon
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 7K

Discuss Pumping over query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't be bothered to spend any more time on this. The quote from BG (which I was happy with and accepted) was £645 and I am "booked in" for 9 December.
Thanks for all the comments and assistance.

No one will give you a quote without first seeing the job.

Get the names of three recommended (friends and family) local heating engineers and ask them to quote.

Fair comment but many on here deride BG prices without seeing the job !! I have only ever been seeking a "yardstick" to compare with.
Cheers.

For anyone that may be interested, British Gas made a first class job which has fully solved the "pumping over" problem I had been experiencing and I was delighted with the helpful, reasonably priced and professional service they provided !!
Cheers.

Just incase it may help..

Height of vent pipe above water level in cwsc = Height (meters of static head) x 40mm + 150mm (the 150mm is for expansion within the system.)

For anyone that may be interested, British Gas made a first class job which has fully solved the "pumping over" problem I had been experiencing and I was delighted with the helpful, reasonably priced and professional service they provided !!
Cheers.
What did they do ?

EUREKA - SORTED !! BG engineer (top man - old school - 34 years experience) turned up and diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. He confirmed the system was indeed "pumping over, due (as stated by a number of helpful previous posters) to restrictions in the cold feed and open vent section which he quickly identified using a long thin magnet.
He suggested that the offending sections be cut out and replaced, the system be power flushed, a Spirotech fitted (he said BG no longer fit Magnaclean, due to problems with leaks) and inhibitor put in. He "left me" an "all in" price (with lifetime guarantee) - what do members reckon would be a fair price for all this ?
Cheers and thanks again for all the help.
£350 would be a fair price for this work. Lifetime guarantee don't make me laugh , if you pay them £300 a year they will now include cleaning the system if required.

6 pages spent on somone's blocked cold feed. My word. Glad its sorted for you.

Your issue was correctly diagnosed on page one, post five!!

£650 is a lot of money for what you've had done, but then you can't have expected BG to be cheap.

£650 is a lot of money for what you've had done, but then you can't have expected BG to be cheap.

The (experienced) poster on post # 39 was the only person who was prepared to make an estimate BEFORE i said what I had been quoted !! It's amazing how many "wise after the event " and "anti BG" people there are on here !!

I agree BG are not cheap (but then again cheap, in my experience, usually equates to rubbish !), but for 7 hours work, "peace of mind", first class workmanship, and a "life time guarantee" on all the work, I am content !

Again the work I had done (cost £645) was : Offending sections of the cold feed and open vent pipework cut out and replaced, power flush, a Spirotech supplied and fitted and inhibitor added.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My price was what I would think BG would quote
If your happy with the job you got that's the main thing who ever did the work

The (experienced) poster on post # 39 was the only person who was prepared to make an estimate BEFORE i said what I had been quoted !! It's amazing how many "wise after the event " and "anti BG" people there are on here !!

I agree BG are not cheap (but then again cheap, in my experience, usually equates to rubbish !), but for 7 hours work, "peace of mind", first class workmanship, and a "life time guarantee" on all the work, I am content !

Again the work I had done (cost £645) was : Offending sections of the cold feed and open vent pipework cut out and replaced, power flush, a Spirotech supplied and fitted and inhibitor added.

Cheers.

Only read the thread last night mate....my price would've been the same if i'd've read the thread when u started it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Only read the thread last night mate....my price would've been the same if i'd've read the thread when u started it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, you do expect to pay more with BG, in this cae about 33%.

Cheers.

Yes I agree, you do expect to pay more with BG, in this cae about 33%.

Cheers.
I worked at BG and did powerflushing for years for them and my price would be almost half. I charge £245 for a standard powerflush for upto ten rads, this includes any pipework that is required. £100 extra for filter fitting. I would also give a lifetime warranty if customer pays me the £250/£300 a year they have to pay BG .
normally spend a full day at property.
Thanks.

I worked at BG and did powerflushing for years for them and my price would be almost half. I charge £245 for a standard powerflush for upto ten rads, this includes any pipework that is required. £100 extra for filter fitting. I would also give a lifetime warranty if customer pays me the £250/£300 a year they have to pay BG .
Thanks.

OK, i "give in" and now concede that British Gas and all the fitters who work for them are completely and utterly useless and they always charge exhorbitant fees whereas all "private" gas fitters are brilliant and provide an almost "free" service !! I would obviously expect your "life time guarantee" to include a "call out" whilst you were in the middle of your Xmas dinner !
Have a nice day !
Cheers.

OK, i "give in" and now concede that British Gas and all the fitters who work for them are completely and utterly useless and they always charge exhorbitant fees whereas all "private" gas fitters are brilliant and provide an almost "free" service !! I would obviously expect your "life time guarantee" to include a "call out" whilst you were in the middle of your Xmas dinner !
Have a nice day !
Cheers.
Just trying to point out that the warranty is not as good as you make out.
BG are not as good as most plumbers in my opinion, most of the BG engineers are very young and know very little about system design.
I worked at BG a long time and know how they work.
Sorry if you do not agree ..
Regards

Thanks.

Can anyone "beat that" - indeed is there anyone that would have been prepared to "pay me" for the honour and glory of doing this work !!??
Cheers.

Can anyone "beat that" - indeed is there anyone that would have been prepared to "pay me" for the honour and glory of doing this work !!??
Cheers.
£200 profit for a days work is ok for me.
Regards

Just trying to point out that the warranty is not as good as you make out.
BG are not as good as most plumbers in my opinion, most of the BG engineers are very young and know very little about system design.
I worked at BG a long time and know how they work.
Sorry if you do not agree ..
Regards

"Generalisations" again - the BG fitter who diagnosed the problem had 35 years experience and the BG fitter who completed the work had 30 years experience.
Cheers.

Have a nice day !
Cheers.

Hi - can't see anywhere in this thread that makes any reference to all BG engineers being utterly useless.
Please provide link.
Have a nice day,
Cheers
Amen

"Generalisations" again - the BG fitter who diagnosed the problem had 35 years experience and the BG fitter who completed the work had 30 years experience.
Cheers.
Just my experience from working there, how long have you ?
Guess I will know a little more than you about what goes on at BG .
Not saying there all bad, the old school ones are the best, I am old school too. 21 years.
Regards.

35 years ? Not long left them and he will be gone, makes him at least 51 years old,

Hi - can't see anywhere in this thread that makes any reference to all BG engineers being utterly useless.
Please provide link.
Have a nice day,
Cheers
Amen
Customers don't understand the difference .
BG engineers are good at repairing boilers normally, but as for system faults etc they will normally just say it needs flushing. Don,t believe me but search the web for British gas powerflush.

Please provide link.
Have a nice day,
Cheers
Amen

You are quite right, I was merely "exaggerating" to "counter" the somewhat "anti-BG" attitude on this forum.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Where is the pump fitted on the Woodburner...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Back