Rads on plasterboard walls | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rads on plasterboard walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
How's best to fit them on plasterboard walls? No studs found. Underneath a window. Double panel. 1600 x 300

Hollow Wall anchor

How's best to fit them on plasterboard walls? No studs found. Underneath a window. Double panel. 1600 x 300

cut the plasterboard out behind where the brackets are, so cut out 2 bits with a padsaw, say 250 long (300mm rad) by 100mm wide. now cut 2 bits of 18mm ply, 250mm long by 200mm wide. Slide the ply into the hole in the wall at an angle (be careful not to drop it inside the wall, you need to put a screw in the middle of the ply with the head sticking out to give yourself something to hold onto)

Now the ply is behind the wall, centre it up in the hole so it overlaps each side evenly 50mm then screw though the edges (25mm in) of the left and right side of the plasterboard and into the ply which will pinch it all together. Now replace the PB you cut out earlier and screw it into the ply.

above is the best way of doing it for slighty bigger rads IMO, saves cutting the wall out for studs, small rads I use the brolly type plasterboard fixings, or spring toggles (I prefer spring toggles for strength over the brolly ones.

What does the setting tool do and how do you use it?

It expands the anchor, you put the anchor in the wall and the tool basically pulls the screw head away from the wall which inturn opens the anchor up behind the wall like an umbrella

sorry jay linked the wrong vid

[video=youtube;7mpcer0QzW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpcer0QzW8[/video]

you load the fixing into the setting tool and it has a Rachel action on the trigger so it flares out the fitting by pulling the screw head if that makes sense. It's well handy for when your using them quite a bit, tightening with a drill/driver you can pull the fixing through the wall, you can't with the setting tool.

Looks like I'll be getting me some of those badboys with a fixing tool ;) cheers guys!!

What's the heaviest weight these can handle?

Last edited:
What's the heaviest weight these can handle?
They are rated to about 20kg per fixing on average.
I have used them for large rads and large wall mounted TV's.
Get a good branded setting tool as I originally used a cheap fleabay one that started to slip.

Lidl do a kit of anchors that includes a very decent setting tool. The anchors in the kit are not great quality and like a lot of other makes they can break off at the final bit (washer) that shows on outside of wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That's a lot of glazing for a modestly sized...
Replies
Views
How big is the radiator?
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Nicely done, only us three will know what you...
Replies
Views
No play but did manage to get enough with some...
Replies
Views
Back