Rads on plasterboard walls | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Rads on plasterboard walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
These look quite good!

They are very much stronger than even the anchors that need the setting tool.
Worth having a few of them.
Great the way they are designed with a spring between the outer flange and the bar.
The bar part is fairly thick in middle and has a decent amount of threads there for the bolt to hold to

All rads I try to find timber to screw to, but decent anchors do well as a secondary fixing, or on a smallish rad a sole fixing.
I would never use a plasterboard fixing, no matter how good, to hold heavy vertical rads. Only way is heavy timber fitted behind plasterboard and strong coach screws

cut the plasterboard out behind where the brackets are, so cut out 2 bits with a padsaw, say 250 long (300mm rad) by 100mm wide. now cut 2 bits of 18mm ply, 250mm long by 200mm wide. Slide the ply into the hole in the wall at an angle (be careful not to drop it inside the wall, you need to put a screw in the middle of the ply with the head sticking out to give yourself something to hold onto)

Now the ply is behind the wall, centre it up in the hole so it overlaps each side evenly 50mm then screw though the edges (25mm in) of the left and right side of the plasterboard and into the ply which will pinch it all together. Now replace the PB you cut out earlier and screw it into the ply.

Isn't this essentially weakening that section of plasterboard though, because you've cut a hole?

Anyone used these? Says it can carry 120kg on a single fixing

[DLMURL]http://www.wickes.co.uk/Grip-It-Type-16-2-Plasterboard-Fixing-5-0-x-30mm-Pack-8/p/121049?CAWELAID=120135120001179349&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37524969172&CATCI=aud-142955627092:pla-84196326979&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Screws,%20Nails%20&%20Fixings&tmcampid=&tmad=c&tmplaceref=RVbZDCqI&utm_content=sRVbZDCqI%7Cpcid%7C102693176572%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7C[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
There **** jay won't hold anything that high of a kg rating

the "twirly" type ones are good for 15/22 pipe clips, that's about it.

Think I'll do the ply thing then.. Certainly don't want them falling off the walls!!!

You will be fine with them ones we linked unless they want to sit on the rad

Ok, I'll give the Fischer ones a go - cheers Shaun

Depending on how many holes are in the bracket you can still some more if you need to

Say one in the middle etc

If you are worried put a splash of no nails or whatever on the back of the bracket before you fix it back. Whoever takes it off in 10 or 20 years time will love you for it ;)

Cavity fixings (the ones set with a gun) or spring toggles will easily take the weight of most std rads on plasterboard as the brackets give a relatively large spread for cantilever loads.
Decorative rads and towel rails are different as the brackets are small and have very little cantilever resistance.
Shear loading (straight downwards) is pretty irrelevant. A nail knocked into plasterboard at a downward angle will easily support a 10kg shear load.
Don't worry about it.

sorry jay linked the wrong vid

[video=youtube;7mpcer0QzW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpcer0QzW8[/video]

Ultimate handyman..now there is a good site...

However I find most plasterboard walls are on!y 41\2'' thick....so get ya self some six inch nails and often you can securs to a wardrobe or set of draws on the other side of the wall....be careful though ,,,,fixed a pair of rad brackets to our lasses knickers once..and no way wild they stay up.

Last edited by a moderator:
So these hollow wall anchors, anyone used them for boilers on plasterboard walls?

Hopefully not!

I've only had one pb wall and used a bit of ply the size of the boiler in between - but just thought I'd they're good enough for a 50 kilo rad...?

So these hollow wall anchors, anyone used them for boilers on plasterboard walls?

Not really suitable for boilers but i've seen it done.
As a last resort insert a couple of pieces of wood in through the flue hole and fix it in place from the front with a couple of screws then attach the bracket to those. Much bigger load spread.

Turned out that hollow wall was a solid wall with half inch of plaster on it - sounded hollow to me! Lol both rads (1800-600 & 1600-600) fitted and well.. Cheers guys

I've only had one pb wall and used a bit of ply the size of the boiler in between - but just thought I'd they're good enough for a 50 kilo rad...?

Mounted on ply ..what happened to not fixing to flamable material..or was you sleeping during that part of ya gas safe refresher..good to see gas in safe hands

Mounted on ply ..what happened to not fixing to flamable material..or was you sleeping during that part of ya gas safe refresher..good to see gas in safe hands

If you were gas safe you would know the rules have changed

Turned out that hollow wall was a solid wall with half inch of plaster on it - sounded hollow to me! Lol both rads (1800-600 & 1600-600) fitted and well.. Cheers guys

Blown plaster in places prob, glad you got her done jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That's a lot of glazing for a modestly sized...
Replies
Views
How big is the radiator?
Replies
Views
Hi Basher, Thank you for the reply. So the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Nicely done, only us three will know what you...
Replies
Views
No play but did manage to get enough with some...
Replies
Views
Back