Recommend me a combi boiler please for my 2 bedroom house | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Recommend me a combi boiler please for my 2 bedroom house in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have all the rads and trvs, so gonna rip everything out and then start getting some all in quotes

also out of interest can the mains cold supply a few things before it goes into the combi so for example can my mains supply a outside tap before it feeds into the combi.

if so can it supply a few downstairs taps before going into the combi

tbh guys I never said I was going with that option, that's why im on here to get opinions and advice, on a budget so rally looking to get it done as cheap as possible but still have a quality system

You can Have Cheap and Yes you can have Quality but you cant have both in the same sentence or job

also what should I be looking for a plumber to do or include in the install, if the old pipes are used there must be a system flush if new pips then no flush through, what else

Outside tap before boiler all depends on pressure system layout ect. Turn tap on boiler has no flow ur shower almost stops?

Why is it always about the price and not the value for money? A good installer being paid a decent wage for the job will carry out a full installation with no cut corners and you will get good customer service to boot.

Cheap is never the best. Who wants to go to work earn pennies. You will never get a good installer cheap. Just at good value for money. There is a difference.

No engineer who in any way values their work would do that job for £450 labour. Anyone who owns a powerflush machine and has invested their cash in it would charge £300 ish for a powerflush really. That leaves less than a day's labour to fit the boiler, run all new pipework.

It just doesn't add up.

You simply don't get cheap and quality in this game, they are mutually exclusive. Plumbers who are cheap have to rush to earn their money so the quality suffers. Plumbers who are expensive don't have to rush so their work is better quality. This is unless you can find a plumber with 3 or more arms or another similar freakish advantage, then they would produce better quality work than other plumbers in a given time.

There are no economies of scale really in this trade any more especially in heating work, there is next to no margin on boilers so you won't really save much there between firms either.

I wouldn't be looking to save money on the heating install in a house I lived in.

Last edited:
Well got to it today ripped out old tanks in loft and all pipework, took cylinder and all pipework out, just left with the existing rad pips left in which I was not intending to lift up tbh.

So gonna get on t a few plumbers this week see what the say

what should I be looking for a plumber to do or include in the install, if the old pipes are used should they be doing a system flush, if new pips then no flush through, what else

Also m bro inlaw has found a friend he knows on sites who fitted his Worcester oil boiler for him so will see what e says.

I ha someone round the other day to look and tbh they didn't seem to look at much I was unable to be there so I drew up a plan of where everything was going and where gas and such were currently
My GF said they didn't really look at much, they asked to measure the new rads that we have new in box but then they didn't do it. I got a txt from them today saying they think a 28kw maybe even a 34/35kw boiler is required depending o what my budget is

You seem to know a lot of people that might be in the know. If I were you, I'd get them around. Eyes on and all that.

Sounds a real steaming pile ! So.... Jobs been looted, stuff cut out all over and your paying £450? Boiler should be sized on your incoming mains and use. Why would you fit wb? If your doing it on cheap?? Baxi platinum for less money better DHW and 10 years to anyone !!!

Lol, I hope you labelled the pipes in the cylinder cupboard. You sound like an absolute nightmare customer. Anyone decent and not desperate is going to run a mile.

I think you'll be stuck with an illegal homer from a site plumber. Boiler won't last 2 minutes.

Lol, I hope you labelled the pipes in the cylinder cupboard. You sound like an absolute nightmare customer. Anyone decent and not desperate is going to run a mile.

I think you'll be stuck with an illegal homer from a site plumber. Boiler won't last 2 minutes.

Yep commercial sanitary and unistrut installer come combi cowboy!

I think i fit into the cheap / good category.
450 still woulden't get me doing it!

Hope it goes smooth .....remember
safety comes first
quallity comes at a right price
taking the Micky comes cheap

Well got to it today ripped out old tanks in loft and all pipework, took cylinder and all pipework out, just left with the existing rad pips left in which I was not intending to lift up tbh.

So gonna get on t a few plumbers this week see what the say

what should I be looking for a plumber to do or include in the install, if the old pipes are used should they be doing a system flush, if new pips then no flush through, what else

Also m bro inlaw has found a friend he knows on sites who fitted his Worcester oil boiler for him so will see what e says.

I ha someone round the other day to look and tbh they didn't seem to look at much I was unable to be there so I drew up a plan of where everything was going and where gas and such were currently
My GF said they didn't really look at much, they asked to measure the new rads that we have new in box but then they didn't do it. I got a txt from them today saying they think a 28kw maybe even a 34/35kw boiler is required depending o what my budget is

you fall into a very specific kind of customer we call ''Tossers''

you fall into a very specific kind of customer we call ''Tossers''

and why Is that then

also why would i label the pipes n the cylinder cupboard as im gonna have new water pipes, if you mean for the heating then no but its clear to see which one is which

tbh some poeple seem to be giving very negative comments, why because I wish to save some money and do as much as I can myself. at the end of the day there are people out there that do charge the earth and still do shoddy work, seems as though some people are greedy and just wish to charge more because of the extras involved which I a trying to do myself, lie tank removing and pipe removing

If you knew the layout of my house im doing the plumber a favour IMO by prepping everything.

basically the combi will be directly under the bath in kitchen larder , water and gas mains within 2-3 metre away, radiator connection at other end of the bath, sink and toilet to the right about 2 metres away on opposite wall to bath, kitchen sink and washing machine on same wall as boiler about 2 metres away,

The old setup had the cylinder where the toilet will be, and the heating pipes went into the next bedroom and into the chimney stack down to the combi

there's new pipes then no flush through, I was asking if that's right. I wasn't stating that

I don't think anyone has actually said or told me what I should be expecting a plumber to come in and say and be looking at and advising

Surely this is a help forum is it not

"You will never get a decent engineer to work at your house, I promise you"

because?

a decent engineer should be able to work anywhere as with all trades including my own

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a real steaming pile ! So.... Jobs been looted, stuff cut out all over and your paying £450? Boiler should be sized on your incoming mains and use. Why would you fit wb? If your doing it on cheap?? Baxi platinum for less money better DHW and 10 years to anyone !!!

only rad pipes remain no water pipes, £450 was quoted for 2 days labour, other person also said day and a half, so £225 per day,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back