recommendation And advice are welcome. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss recommendation And advice are welcome. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Runs cold then they have to turn the tap off and back on again. The only thing I can think of is the flow switch isn’t recognising the demand from store to combi

Do they have any mixer valves?
Showers, TMV's etc?
Could it be a passing valve?
You might have ruled that out already but I thought I'd mention it as I came across a similar issue the other week.

All of them. And isolated each 1 by one. All brand new as I put them in. What was your issue.

Did you try turning the cold to the Boiler off underneath and running a hot tap? there should be nothing flowing as you will undoubtedly know.

My issue was that the Hot water was running but more often than not tepid. Occasionally it was hot and OK.

The Boiler appeared to be running OK and doing what it should do and at first I suspected other things. Turned out to be a passing valve. Not always the same though due to fluctuations in pressure.

It is a 938 mate so with no taps on the stores still empty.
What do you mean?
I meant that if you turned the water off to the Boiler and water still runs from a hot tap, it must be getting in elsewhere. If that is happening, when you run a hot tap with the Boiler working, it will mix and cool the DHW. It can also out balance the hot totally and allow only cold to run, depending on the system. There will always be slightly more resistance through the Boiler than direct.

If we are talking at cross purposes, let me know?

The cylinder won’t run empty. As explained earlier it’s capable of making as much as a conventional cylinder.
Do you mean with a blending valve it’s the equivalent of a conventional tank?
It won’t run empty but once the 20 litres is used it just works as an 838 then reheats the cylinder when it gets chance

Do you mean with a blending valve it’s the equivalent of a conventional tank?
It won’t run empty but once the 20 litres is used it just works as an 838 then reheats the cylinder when it gets chance
That’s correct I may misunderstood you scott. Yes it would be equivalent to a conventional tank of 70l

I am just putting this out there before I completely get confused.

The storage on a 938 is 7.5 ltrs a vessel, so 15ltrs total, producing upto 20ltrs/m. Once the vessel is cold it switches to a combi @ approx 16ltrs/m.

I am just putting this out there before I completely get confused.

The storage on a 938 is 7.5 ltrs a vessel, so 15ltrs total, producing upto 20ltrs/m. Once the vessel is cold it switches to a combi @ approx 16ltrs/m.

Yes.

The combi is an 838. It will only perform with the same ability as the 838 (because that's what it is), but with the additional pre heated (secondary water) store.

In theory as you draw off water the store is being replenished and therefore there is a delay in time before you get to be using purely the combi's performance.

There are figures about that state the performance being the same as an unvented cylinder but I personally tend to ignore the magic figures and see it for what it is..... A combi with a bonus!

My opinion.

Combi's are fine and even large ones like the 938 and they do perform well whilst the store is there but they are still only combi's once it has gone.
In houses with more than one bath / shower room and families, I would always advise having a modern unvented cylinder. The reheat times are very good as you all know and the back up of an immersion heater is there too. If sized, fed and piped correctly, you can run what you like without issue.

Similar plumbing topics

Behind the control panel the cylinder unit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
We currently have the ground floor wet UFH and...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Ask Vaillant they do there own ebus style...
Replies
Views
Also due to new regs your heating system must...
Replies
Views
Back