Regulation issue | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Marty92
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 9K

Discuss Regulation issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty92

Hi folks,

I am quoting to fit a replacement boiler in a commercial premises, The. client tells me 3 other plumbers have told him its a requirement to also chang the HW tank now I've searched everywhere and I cannot find a requirement to do this additional work.

The tank is old and uninsulated so changing it is a good idea but a requirement - I don't think so?

thoughts please

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it to be with going to fully pumped? Does the old cylinder have a coil?

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say , if you were going to change then it must be changed to energy efficient one . What sort of boiler is to be fitted and what size hot water cylinder is there ?

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say , if you were going to change then it must be changed to energy efficient one . What sort of boiler is to be fitted and what size hot water cylinder is there ?

Cheers pal!

Yes I quite agree but I'm not sure there is an actual requirement to change it just because its not up to modern standards.

looks like its going to be a valiant ecotec 65 existing vented tank is c 120l

Every where

So it is actually stated that "when replacing a boiler/primary heating source you MUST replace the Hot water tank with one meeting the latest requirements in energy efficiency" ?

The trouble with questions like mine is no one seems able to point to an actual regulation or requirement, I don't doubt you believe what you say but so many people in our industry do not actually know where to look to find out if something is a requirement / regulation or good practice and there is a whole heep of difference.

Befor I tell a client " Thou shall" I need to be able to point to why / where and at the moment there's nowhere to look which is actually law.

I can find nothing in part L of the building regs requiring me to upgrade a tank in premises below 1000m2 and even then it needs to be commercially viable.

Its hard as its to convince customers to have TRV fitted let alone new cylinders or zoning upstairs and downstairs , so dont go hard on your customers . If not it just looks to them that I/you/we are trying to sell them more than they need ......

Last edited:
You know more than we do

Unfortunatly you seem to be proving you don't know where to look to backup you claim, I don't particularly mind if you do or don't to be honest, but I hope for your sake you can back up your claims if you have too.

Most of my clients are legal firms in the city, I'm sure as hell going to make sure I don't write something in a tender document I cannot backup with regulation.

Dont fall in to the trap of doing something because someone told you too - it may cost you.

Its hard as its to convince customers to have TRV fitted let alone new cylinders or zoning upstairs and downstairs , so dont go hard on your customers . If not it just looks to them that I/you/we are trying to sell them more than they need ......

Very true - according to the HHIC, TRV's are not a requirement when changing boilers.

I generally ask clients what they want and if regs don't prohibit it - they get it.

Unfortunatly you seem to be proving you don't know where to look to backup you claim, I don't particularly mind if you do or don't to be honest, but I hope for your sake you can back up your claims if you have too.

Most of my clients are legal firms in the city, I'm sure as hell going to make sure I don't write something in a tender document I cannot backup with regulation.

Dont fall in to the trap of doing something because someone told you too - it may cost you.

just take it easy ..... we are here helping each-other

if you keep posting like this , you will be deleted by the moderators

just keep calm and enjoy the help you get and the help you give

stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That's great. Thankyou for your help and advice
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Depends where that 3 core goes to though...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
E
new boiler. fit a baxi. its not repairable
Replies
Views
Back