Screwfix are selling press fit | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Screwfix are selling press fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Deleted member 96286

Esteemed
Plumber
Screwfix are selling the Romax pressfitting gun with tongs. Hope they start to supply the fittings too.
Posted here in the Arms as not to give Screwfix free advertising ;)

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rothenberger-romax-4000-press-tool/148hh

Not bad price either just don’t look at the jaws :D

Least the tool comes with 15,22,28

I'll stick to my £60 superfire 2 :p
One day, your 60 quid gas torch might just cause 60 grand worth of damage :rolleyes: I've been doing this since 1982, I'm good at soldering, but there's liitle need to continue with soldering now, apart from cost which is often negated by the speed of installation of press fit and copper push fit, plus there's no fire risk, no need for hot work permits, and your business insurance company will be a bunch of happy chappies if you don't need to use heat and it's cheaper.:p

One day, your 60 quid gas torch might just cause 60 grand worth of damage :rolleyes: I've been doing this since 1982, I'm good at soldering, but there's liitle need to continue with soldering now, apart from cost which is often negated by the speed of installation of press fit and copper push fit, plus there's no fire risk, no need for hot work permits, and your business insurance company will be a bunch of happy chappies if you don't need to use heat and it's cheaper.:p
For me I think a press fit will be situational, more for when water is in the pipe and you can't solder or you really don't want to burn a bit of wallpaper. I can't see how the cost of the machine plus the cost of fittings which are around 7x more expensive than endfeed is justifiable. My firm for example pays around 20p for a 15mm elbow, x press elbows are £1.50, buy 100 elbows and that's a big difference.

For me I think a press fit will be situational, more for when water is in the pipe and you can't solder or you really don't want to burn a bit of wallpaper. I can't see how the cost of the machine plus the cost of fittings which are around 7x more expensive than endfeed is justifiable. My firm for example pays around 20p for a 15mm elbow, x press elbows are £1.50, buy 100 elbows and that's a big difference.
If all you do is solder, then press fit is more expensive and most probably not for you. However compared to Hep20 or copper pushfits like Cuprofit or Tectite, it's competitively priced. My main reason for using press fit and copper pushfits are that I have eliminated heat and the risks that go with it.

Plus the time flux gas solder etc

Unless the price of fittings drops dramatically I will stick to soldering. It's been 20 years and i haven't torched anywhere yet :). Although i know an apprentice that did.

I've came close, luckily I had a fire extinguisher. I did set my tools on fire in the van though, I'm not sure how it happened but I presume it was my blow torch :rolleyes:

The company I went to work for for a year or so had a lad that had something catch fire by the time the fire brigade turned up he had put it out with an extinguisher on site.

The fire brigade still put 3 windows through and smashed the door getting hoses in. :eek:

Genuine question: Why use press fit over copper push fit? The latter doesn't require a £1200 tool to fit them.
Basically for security and tightness. I'm a big fan of using tectite and cuprofit, with the former being non demountable and the latter being demountable with a special tool. However, they can leak even if installed 100% correctly and I've had a small number fail on me. I've not had one single leak on Yorkshire Xpress and most of the hospitals, schools and public buildings here are pressfit.
My work is all domestic now, and I see no point in risking my customer's property with a gas torch, when there's now no need to do so.
No flame, no contaminants (flux, pipe compound) in the pipework and speed and ease of use are a few of the reasons why I rarely solder now and use copper press fit and copper push fit. They also look better in my opinion too.
It's not for everyone, but I'm a big fan.

I've came close, luckily I had a fire extinguisher. I did set my tools on fire in the van though, I'm not sure how it happened but I presume it was my blow torch :rolleyes:

I mentioned this years ago on the old forum, but your post reminded me.
I once nearly set fire to van when I moved stuff around and steel wool burst into flames.
I had a cordless drill battery (old type ni cad) lying loose in van and steel wool must have touched the contacts.
Not sure if new batteries still have open contacts, but just something to be aware of.

I always disconnect my super fire 2 and put the cap back on the gas bottle.
I still don't do that now, you'd think I'd have learnt my lesson :confused:
This was the remains of my tools, luckily my van didn't go up with them

Attachments

• 20171214_100002.jpg
    20171214_100002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I mentioned this years ago on the old forum, but your post reminded me.
I once nearly set fire to van when I moved stuff around and steel wool burst into flames.
I had a cordless drill battery (old type ni cad) lying loose in van and steel wool must have touched the contacts.
Not sure if new batteries still have open contacts, but just something to be aware of.
Seen that on PB'S YouTube channel too, he showed what happens when steel wool brushes past the contacts of a battery.

We use loads and loads of Press fit, mostly Gerberit Mapress which seems to work pretty well for us.

I've found that most problems with it are user or installer error whether that's not de burring the pipe properly or not positioning the jaws on the fittings correctly but with that said I wouldn't use it in the domestic market due to cost and appearance, end feed fittings are a lot cheaper and do look "cleaner" after installation.

Not sure Screwfix would be the cheapest place to buy the fittings from either or that they would hold the amount of stock you might need per job??

Similar plumbing topics

We had to do a repair in an 100mm copper fire...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
I agree with you Cailean, the 102 would be...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
Pm op if your interested if you not don’t post
Replies
Views
Back