Screwfix are selling press fit | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Screwfix are selling press fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

I've never either used a grinder or a multitool to take a press fit fitting off after a bad press, normally when you press a fitting onto copper pipe it deforms the pipe slightly ( you would notice this if you tried to slip an olive over the pipe near to a press) so would it provide a correct seal and would it be covered under the manufacturer?

I have always been told that incorrect pressed fittings should always be cut out and replaced along with the section of pipe.

I've never had one fail and I'm not saying that this is never going to happen but if faced with replacing a dodgy one, I would as a matter of good practice cut out the fitting completely to a section of good pipe and replace it. Same goes with non demountable Tectite.

Just wait and see, some of the fitters we have followed mash the fittings up good and proper when they press!!

How do they mash up the fittings?

I must admit when I have a leak on soldered I just cut the br out and redo. They are usually the ones that have that odd drip which is why they leaked in the first place so sweating off is usually not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG-20180830-WA0001.jpeg
somthing like this, bad press caused by user error.

View attachment 39936somthing like this, bad press caused by user error.
User errors are the reason for most types of installation fails and why pushfit gets a bad name. It's not just restricted to press fit. If the tongs don't sit right on the fitting, I don't press it. If a pushfit fitting doesn't feel like I've pushed it fully home, I'll remove it and refit it. Fitting things incorrectly is the sign of a chancer not a good tradesman.

I dont agree with that Cailean and think that's a very rash comment to make (Fitting things incorrectly is the sign of a chancer not a good tradesman)

I dont know what kind of work you do but the guys who work for me are extremely professional and visually check there work in stages prior to wet testing, hence why bad pressed fittings are picked up at an early stage.

:p:p Yorkshire have said that I can no longer have any more chrome solder ring elbows as they are no longer making any and they do not have any left in their store. Aparently I’m the only person that has been ordering them for the last 2 years??? Cannot see that myself??:mad::mad::mad:
Press fit chrome fittings are better:p:p
Tectite sell a wee tool that scribes the chrome so that their fittings have something to grab on to. Toolstation sell it for around 7 quid and it covers pipe up to 28mm

ive never used them get a press gone dont need to clean the chrome off then :D

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/heati...rome_plated_copper&pipefittingsystem=push_fit

ooo chrome push fit :(

The worst thing about pressing that nobody has mentioned is if there's a problem you have to cut the fittings out and add in couplings to make up the difference!

Like soldering then. Well unless you're a heat-it-up-and-remove-and-clean-and-re-solder-guy but I've never fancied my chances with that move.

I use quite a bit of tectite these days. Has anyone got any thoughts on benefits to pushfit being non demountable beyond the tamper-proof/vandal deterrent angle? I mean do we think it might make them less likely to fly off if it's a dud fitting or is that just wishful thinking?

I've not an issue with any of the ones I've installed yet but have only used maybe 100-150 fittings over about 3 years.

Similar plumbing topics

We had to do a repair in an 100mm copper fire...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
I agree with you Cailean, the 102 would be...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
Pm op if your interested if you not don’t post
Replies
Views
Back