Screwfix are selling press fit | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Screwfix are selling press fit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

I see more people are using these to pipe boilers with, i guess manufacturers are happy with press fit?? Meaning wont come up with an excuse to void warranty.
Most of the guys around here are installing boilers using pressfit. Don't see how copper to copper fittings can void warranty, but I agree with you that there are boiler companies that will probably try it on just to get out of it.

I can see the appeal on boiler swaps but full central heating systems must cost a lot more.

Do the customers not moan about the bulky fittings?

What about getting the press fit gun into some of the stupidly tight spaces we have to get into?

I can see the appeal on boiler swaps but full central heating systems must cost a lot more.

Do the customers not moan about the bulky fittings?

What about getting the press fit gun into some of the stupidly tight spaces we have to get into?
15mm fittings are keenly priced compared to others except soldered fittings which are always going to be cheaper than anything else. The price jumps with 22mm and above. Press fit can be used with water in the pipe, soldered fittings need dry pipelines. There is also no flux, solder or pipe compounds that can contaminate a plumbing system, or fire risk due to a gas torch.

The fittings are longer, not bulkier and look better, cleaner and neater than soldered, compression fittings or plastic fittings. They don't tarnish as heated fittings do, or require cleaning to remove flux and shine them up. The chrome fittings press directly on to chrome pipe without having to remove the chrome or scribe the pipe and look really good.

Press fit is not normally for under sinks and the like and is the reason why I use both Press fit and copper push fit fittings like Tectite and Cuprofit. There is a 45 degree attachment for the gun for tight spaces.

Thanks last 2 stupid questions then I will stop I swear.

What about imperial pipe? Does it go straight onto that? Or do you have to buy a special fitting for that.

Do you use the no flame point as a selling point?

I dont look at soldering as slow but then you always have that odd joint that seems to take a while.

I'm going to look into going down that route maybe give it a try on my next install.

Plus cleaning the fittings and pipe then fluxing then gassing then cleaning

Then x that by around 4-500 fittings adds up a bit

Thanks last 2 stupid questions then I will stop I swear.

What about imperial pipe? Does it go straight onto that? Or do you have to buy a special fitting for that.

Do you use the no flame point as a selling point?
Imperial pipe there is a compression to press fit union. Just use a 3/4" green ring in the compression end.
There are loads of benefits to press fit over soldering. I've listed most earlier. One of the biggest is you can make joints with water in the pipe.

One big bonus is that because of the price of the press gun and kit, it's way beyond the scope of the average diy'er. I had a customer watching me using my AKKU press and he was amazed and very impressed. With diy'ers using speedfit and Hep etc. the less experienced ones who don't follow the M.I's and then have a fitting blow off have given it a bad name and made it very diy to most of us in the trade. With press fit, it's still very much in the scope of a professional plumber.

One big bonus is that because of the price of the press gun and kit, it's way beyond the scope of the average diy'er. I had a customer watching me using my AKKU press and he was amazed and very impressed. With diy'ers using speedfit and Hep etc. the less experienced ones who don't follow the M.I's and then have a fitting blow off have given it a bad name and made it very diy to most of us in the trade. With press fit, it's still very much in the scope of a professional plumber.
Beyond the scope of a diy’er. Out the scope of most pro’s;);)

Just wait and see, some of the fitters we have followed mash the fittings up good and proper when they press!!

already out and slighting it

"6pm .. just packing up and BANG from the garage..... Damning stupid shitty Press stupid shitty bastard fittings .. 30 mins away to the nearest Screwfix ... Not my install - just back sorting out all original Plumbers issues 'and some'.... "

hmmm look ho far its in :D

Attachments

• 68681353_10156570027493652_9208353721631637504_n.jpg
    68681353_10156570027493652_9208353721631637504_n.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
I bought my kit second hand from Ebay for 400 quid, so it's affordable. I'll be upgrading soon to a new one. I hear that many reps will refund the cost of the gun if you spend a decent amount on fittings with them.

Yes i can confirm its true , my friend was given a free geberit press gun after bluffing the rep about hiw much he rents out a press gun

The worst thing about pressing that nobody has mentioned is if there's a problem you have to cut the fittings out and add in couplings to make up the difference!

Oh and there's a massive difference between pressing 15mm and 88mm!!!

The worst thing about pressing that nobody has mentioned is if there's a problem you have to cut the fittings out and add in couplings to make up the difference!

Oh and there's a massive difference between pressing 15mm and 88mm!!!

you could grind the fittings out and then put a new one in

If an endfeed fitting fails we would sweat off clean and replace, absolutely no way would we grind off a fitting, if your prepared to do that you might as well either Weld or solder in the 1st place.

If an endfeed fitting fails we would sweat off clean and replace, absolutely no way would we grind off a fitting, if your prepared to do that you might as well either Weld or solder in the 1st place.
If there's water in the system, then sweating off and replacing a soldered fitting is going to take a lot longer than cutting off a pressfit fitting with a multi tool and pressing a new one on in its place which will take a few minutes to do and can be done with water still in the pipe line.
It's not for everyone but after 35 years of soldering I prefer press fit and copper pushfit.

Similar plumbing topics

We had to do a repair in an 100mm copper fire...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
I agree with you Cailean, the 102 would be...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
Pm op if your interested if you not don’t post
Replies
Views
Back