Smell of 'toasted sesame oil' from boiler flue vents. (block of flats) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smell of 'toasted sesame oil' from boiler flue vents. (block of flats) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total).
During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents.

if I open my window or go outside (downstairs), there is a strong smell which is exactly like 'toasted sesame oil' during these times.
After midnight when most people are sleeping, the smell is no longer present.
The smell is not disgusting. But i have no idea if its supposed to be this way.
I have toasted sesame oil at home, and the smell really is pretty much identical.
* At first, I originally thought that there must be someone cooking with sesame oil.. but its too strong, and has been daily for almost a month of winter.
Smell was never present during summer.

The smell correlates to when people are at home using their boilers, and I can see steam blowing out their flue vents.
I am certain the smell is from the vents.

My Question:
Is this because there are MANY flue vents on the building which means the smell is far more concentrated?
Or, does it mean that perhaps one, two or more of the flats in my block have dangerous gasses coming out their boiler flues?

Should I be concerned?
What should I do in this situation?

As a precaution report this to the building management company I can't say I have come across a sesame oil smell other than coming out of a kitchen extract fan whilst people prepare food ? . but its better to have a false alarm than a problem than can cause a danger . Kop

Similar plumbing topics

Its not totally straight .
Replies
Views
Safety valve should not be discharging into...
Replies
Views
As above post it here Looking for a Plumber...
Replies
Views
Old Account
O
Martin, I don't think the old rad was venting...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Back