speed fit on secondary return | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss speed fit on secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sheff paul

Just changing some dodgy waste pipes on a dubious bathroom job installed by a DIYer putting speed fit in as some has already been fitted in for some time before ,then notice's the unvented has a secondary return fitted.Do I finish it off in plastic and get done for lunch,or do I rip it all out and get home late,this job is a favour money free one.Has anyone fitted platic on a secondary return set up,yes I know you should not use it.

saw something on speed fit info about not using it,yes it is pumped and there has been some in for quite some time

I have seen it done quite a few times and done it myself on first fix.

I did see last week in a magazine it shouldn't be used on constant hot water circuits. The mag is in the van but haven't read it yet.

would have thought its ok if it can take boiler primarys temp then sec hw should be ok

i think to be 100 % accurate a phone call to manufacture will tell you , and then you can update us here PLEASE :) i hope the secondary return was not piped with overflow/condense plastic , was it ? lol

Hep20 say its a no no to use on secondary returns or ring mains. I dont know about other makes. See hep20 website "frequently asked" in technical section
please delete this post,as I was thinking about taking the bike out after lunch

Most plastic pipe is not rated for secondary returns, and most manufacturers specify this!
Secondary return is very different as it must withstand hot water for a much longer period of time; potentially 24/7!

Straight from the horses mouth.

Continuously operated re-circulating systems (secondary hot water circulation / ring main installations)
A continuously operated re-circulating system is a water-replenished circulating system which is maintained at a constant high temperature to provide a constant source of hot water. Continuously operated re-circulating systems are used to distribute constant hot water to draw off points that may be distant from the source or hot water storage vessel. Continuously operated re-circulating systems are very different from conventional hot water supply and central heating systems found in domestic properties, for which our products have been tested to, under either BS7291 Class S or WRAS approval standards, and for this reason Speedfit products must not be used on any continuously operated re-circulating systems as they are not approved under the current version of these standards.

Look at John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - JG LAYFLAT POLYBUTYLENE PIPE IN COILS click the technical specification tab.

its not continuously operated with a timer and a stat you would never run a secondary return 24/7 it'll run at a lower temperature than central heating and probably for the same length of time in the winter

Last edited:
My house has a speedfit secondary return in for 14 years. Its still o.k..... These companies always want a get out clause for the warranty. I've used all the brands at one time or another and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
  • Question
Well, I'm thinking if your HOT OUT goes in a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes or they do an extra tank so brings it upto...
Replies
Views
S
dam clever these new pumps, cant even make...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
Domestic boilers are fixed rate and don’t...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back