Thermal store confusion! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Thermal store confusion! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to quote a nice straight forward boiler! Just a potty profile to Ri boiler...

all going well until I saw a big thermal store in the airing! I hate the things, they scare me! It's because I am not familiar with them & there operation!

This one had two pumps in the airing, I'm guessing one pumps the f & r from boiler into store, and the other pump would turn on when heating called for to go round rads, back into store!?

The hot water I guess had the coil inside that then just blends through the mixer valve straight out to taps!

It currently has a old potterton twin channel clock, can this be replaced by a drayton twin channel job? When calling for hot water, would it just turn on the one pump & go off on a normal type cyl stat on the store? I am tempted to just not quote the job, but I'm not that busy so would like to be able to offer a quotation!

It had a pipe from the top of the thermal store, would this be the heating vent pipe, I guess the boiler must heat the whole mass of stored water directly, and not thru a coil, otherwise there would have to be two tanks?

Any advice on thermals appreciated!

I went to quote a nice straight forward boiler! Just a potty profile to Ri boiler...

all going well until I saw a big thermal store in the airing! I hate the things, they scare me! It's because I am not familiar with them & there operation!

This one had two pumps in the airing, I'm guessing one pumps the f & r from boiler into store, and the other pump would turn on when heating called for to go round rads, back into store!?

The hot water I guess had the coil inside that then just blends through the mixer valve straight out to taps!

It currently has a old potterton twin channel clock, can this be replaced by a drayton twin channel job? When calling for hot water, would it just turn on the one pump & go off on a normal type cyl stat on the store? I am tempted to just not quote the job, but I'm not that busy so would like to be able to offer a quotation!

It had a pipe from the top of the thermal store, would this be the heating vent pipe, I guess the boiler must heat the whole mass of stored water directly, and not thru a coil, otherwise there would have to be two tanks?

Stan you got it spot on mate

There will be 3 pumps as one for hot water too.....be careful with RI has pump has to be controlled from the boiler, obviously this cannot be done with a thermal store, so WB "maybe" will invalidate the warranty

There will be 3 pumps as one for hot water too.....be careful with RI has pump has to be controlled from the boiler, obviously this cannot be done with a thermal store, so WB "maybe" will invalidate the warranty

3pumps vern!
1 from boiler to store 1 from store to heating where you get the 3rd mate

The hot water did not have a pump on it. It looks like it just goes through the stored water & out through the thermostat blender valve.

I did worry about the pump overrun, but surely it just overruns the pump on the f& r from boiler into the store. The old potty profiles have overrun so either it was not connected or does that primary pump, I did not check :(

thermal.jpg

theres a pipe off the top that goes into the ceiling, and a cold feed into before the pump on the right hand side!

The boilermate 2000 had 3 pumps as it had a plate heat exchanger.

You need to let the gledhill control the pump over run. If you wire it into the boiler it won't work right. Worcester are ok with this.
Btw the boiler has to be turned up to max

3pumps vern!
1 from boiler to store 1 from store to heating where you get the 3rd mate
Most boiler mates do Alex, hot water pump often modulating type to plate heat ex, obviously not one of those then

Just finished installing one today! It has solid fuel, solar and gas heat sources!

They really are simple to install, HW ON brings on the boiler switch live via the store control stat, pump live from the boiler powers the pump on the primary flow and return and CH ON powers the heating pump via the room stat.

IMG-20130328-00150_zpsae754918.jpg

Still have the solar to fit to it, along with tidying up the wiring and lagging the pipe work. This one has an external plate heat exchanger, as opposed to an internal coil.

That is just a basic thermal store back to (front cylinder).
You will need the boiler to control the over run on the bottom pump. A single channel timer will control the top pump for the heating. The water just works through the store.
Nothing hard or too out the ordinary about it.

The boilermate 2000 had 3 pumps as it had a plate heat exchanger.

You need to let the gledhill control the pump over run. If you wire it into the boiler it won't work right. Worcester are ok with this.
Btw the boiler has to be turned up to max

This is not a gledhill is it? I'm guessing the pump can be controlled however to was before, if it went back to boiler etc! I'm just so used to a s or y plan this thing makes me question everything!

awesome..........centralheatking
Just finished installing one today! It has solid fuel, solar and gas heat sources!

They really are simple to install, HW ON brings on the boiler switch live via the store control stat, pump live from the boiler powers the pump on the primary flow and return and CH ON powers the heating pump via the room stat.

Still have the solar to fit to it, along with tidying up the wiring and lagging the pipe work. This one has an external plate heat exchanger, as opposed to an internal coil.

This is not a gledhill is it? I'm guessing the pump can be controlled however to was before, if it went back to boiler etc! I'm just so used to a s or y plan this thing makes me question everything!
The pic you posted saves a thousand words, as Tamz says back to front or inside out cylinder lol.....simple really RI fine on this

You can time the store too if you like but it will really be on all the time.

How many bathrooms it feeding etc, if not not a lot of hot outlets......judging by the state of it rip the lot out for a combi lol

How many bathrooms it feeding etc, if not not a lot of hot outlets......judging by the state of it rip the lot out for a combi lol

Probably the best idea and a 50 quid bonus to boot (unfortunately for you lads, paid by cheque :lol:)

Probably the best idea and a 50 quid bonus to boot (unfortunately for you lads, paid by cheque :lol:)
All the scrap men round here Tom are crossing the border lol..where there a will.......

They'll soon be complaining when their hot water flow rate is 12 l/min instead of 30 l/min!

You can time the store too if you like but it will really be on all the time.

Is that's whats best? From first thing in the morning to late at night I guess, or the pump would be running all night? My electrician will not freak out when he tries to wire it then, though a 5/2 day to replace the potterton twin channel!?

Thanks for everyone's input btw, you guys all seem so familiar with em!

That pic that was posted! Pfft! I would not know where to start on that!

They'll soon be complaining when their hot water flow rate is 12 l/min instead of 30 l/min!
Lol hence depends on hot outlets, got a similar job with a boilermate OV coming out, but too much hot water needs for a combi, so banging in an unvented cylinder.

Nice looking, theres a naughty obtuse end feed though.:wink_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have two rads upstairs connected exactly the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No as the temp wouldn’t get as hot as the...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan, the house has three full...
Replies
Views
Back