Thermal store confusion! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Thermal store confusion! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pump wouldn't run all night, it would shut off when the store is up to temperature via the control stat. I'd wire it through a twin channel, but tell the customer to leave it on constant.

That was my first thermal store install, the only pipework I didn't do was the flow and return for the plate heat exchanger. Was a pig to install, had to do it kneeling next to it and standing over an open loft hatch!! Not overly happy with it, the pre-installed pipe work isn't straight and the lack of working space means I couldn't do a neat a job as I'd hoped, never mind, its all getting lagged anyway!

those plate hex with pump and flow switch deliver massive ammounts of hot water there brilliant.

Nice looking, theres a naughty obtuse end feed though.:wink_smile:
Haha, which one? As I said, I'm not happy with it, access was tight! I usually stand back and look at my pipework before soldering, but where I took the picture from was as far back as I could get! All the pipework from the PHE was ****ed, so it threw everything off!

Don't really like putting solar on them as there best to keep hot all time and then when we do get a decent day the store is already hot anyway

I know, I told the customer not to bother with solar, but he insisted. I'm wiring the the boiler via some pipe stats on the solid fuel and solar flow pipes so it doesn't fire up if there is heat on them. Going to take some fine tuning, but it should run smoothly eventually!

Someone said leave the boiler stat on maximum! Is that right? The customer said he did not like to run things flat out!

Haha, which one? As I said, I'm not happy with it, access was tight! I usually stand back and look at my pipework before soldering, but where I took the picture from was as far back as I could get! All the pipework from the PHE was ****ed, so it threw everything off!

haha the solid fuel primaries 28mm 'i think' left of the lowest pump, bottom pipe. ya need a tripod bender for 28 pipework pics.. only kidding looks nice.

Someone said leave the boiler stat on maximum! Is that right? The customer said he did not like to run things flat out!

Yep that's right they need all the heat for heating and hot water
I'm not a big fan to be honest

Boiler stat should be on max or near enough, you need to get the store to about 80-85 degrees for it to work effectively. The hot water circuit saps a lot of heat from the store, if the temp is too low the heating will suffer when if a lot of hot water is drawn off.

haha the solid fuel primaries 28mm 'i think' left of the lowest pump, bottom pipe. ya need a tripod bender for 28 pipework pics.. only kidding looks nice.
Lol, I could barely use a 22/15 bender up there, plus I don't do enough 28mm to justify buying a tripod! Although it probably would have paid for itself with all the 28mm fitting I bought!

Boiler stat should be on max or near enough, you need to get the store to about 80-85 degrees for it to work effectively. The hot water circuit saps a lot of heat from the store, if the temp is too low the heating will suffer when if a lot of hot water is drawn off.

yeah thats where the complex boiler to stove offset wiring comes in. we had one and the cust was dissapointed she had to run her boiler (oil) when the stove wasnt fired via how it was wired and properly working. tbh i found its the heating that robs it and affects the hw if the heat up isnt fast enough.

Jeez I don't know why anyone wants the big complicated things!

y plan anyday of the week!plus a twin coil cylinder for solar lol

The only reason I installed this one as it is the simplest way to link solid fuel into a gas heating system (believe it or not!!) It gives fantastic hot water performance too, my flow cup measures to 25 litres/min and it was overfilling it and spraying water everywhere!

The big builders were the main users of them as they got them cheap and could use smaller boilers and their sap sums added up better. Everyone else knows they were really pysh sludge buckets.
Btw if you keep it you will need extra inhibitor too.

The only reason I installed this one as it is the simplest way to link solid fuel into a gas heating system (believe it or not!!) It gives fantastic hot water performance too, my flow cup measures to 25 litres/min and it was overfilling it and spraying water everywhere!

i agree the hw from those hex is unbelievable.

Can a powerflush be done from the boiler flow & return?

Where would the best place be to fit a magnet filter on boiler return still?

Gledhill do a multifuel thermal store called a torrent. Good for linking solid fuel into too.

Their Boilermates, Pulsacoils, Gulfstreams, are all total crap. Good ideas on paper, poor execution.

What make is that store Ricky?

The big builders were the main users of them as they got them cheap and could use smaller boilers and their sap sums added up better. Everyone else knows they were really pysh sludge buckets.
Btw if you keep it you will need extra inhibitor too.
Spot on pal....100% agree.....as for sludge oh yes, and if combined with plastic pipe has most were, nightmare! Added to the fact if there was any inhibitor at all it was always under dosed, as the increased water content was not taken into account!

Can a powerflush be done from the boiler flow & return?

Where would the best place be to fit a magnet filter on boiler return still?

No as the sludge sits in the bottom like a sump! Filter on boiler return pal as said

Plus a lot of them were installed onto microbore systems. Nice ticking time bomb on some of these developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have two rads upstairs connected exactly the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No as the temp wouldn’t get as hot as the...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan, the house has three full...
Replies
Views
Back