to zone or not to zone | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss to zone or not to zone in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

S

sheff paul

First post after my 10 day ban(thanks Dan:thinking:).Any way spoke to Gasafe last week,and any full heating will be classed as NCS if it is not zoned at least upstairs ,and downstairs on separate zones,this includes combi's.Personally i have no problem doing this,but have noticed many installers dont do it.The problem i have is pricing for jobs ,as this easily bumps up the price,and plenty of installers dont so on price they can beat me easily.Heatings have to comply to building regs,if not when you move a sharp eyed survey can cause massive problems.Just started up again trading,so what are your views on the regs do you zone,or are you taking a risk .

I can't help but think it's a backward step to remove a floor area / dwelling specific get out clause though.
How many 2 up 2 down owners will operate their systems zoned? Both zone valves will probably never move and they'll just end up with a load of extra complexity and cost on a combi install. And if they do operate it zoned, efficiency will suffer as their little boiler will operate ticking over and probably non-condensing?...

I guess boiler manufacturers will also have to develop super modulating combi's to cope.

too right on small installs,even open plan lounges dont work zoned,if upstairs turns off drags all the heat from lounge area.Zoning works brill on big installs but it is going to be a pain in the arse on normal semis, terrace.This is thought up by the 'green police' not practical,expensive,and will probably cost work for fools like me who try and do things 'right',i guess with the responce on this thread you guys think the same

yes just the same as you ,customer hard to convince on a boiler change then you got tell them they need another £300 on top for controls and m valves ,i guess this will be the end of COMBI BOILERS they will only get fitted in small flats where they have been design to go on first place . Customer will end up with heat only system boilers with vented or seal hot water ,who has them will update the system and stay with the same type not going to this large combis ,just my opinion here

If it's not already happened, the first manufacturer (probably Honeywell) to come out with a programmer specially designed to zone / s-plan a combi and meet the regs will make a killing.

i think honeywell already have,

it's called CMZONE. uses them programmable trv heads that link wireless to a programmer. very expensive though

I will ofer to customers my self on my list of work and customer will get to sign benchmark anyway so I thight up my belt and not get done by the building control or anybody else who is to push push push sell sell sell ! We are speaking of saving energy and pollution but still make and sell V8 and V10 and V12 engine on cars !

the requirements was none , now i think of it the company i was subbing for could face a massive bile for this ,i was doing install under there instruction not my contract work ,so I think i am safe

It will possibly depend on the contract dates. For example i am currently working on three sites, 2 gained planning permission before regs changed and 1 after. On the 2 before the change we are fitting one zone, on the 1 after we are having to fit 2 zones.

So it depends when planning permission and contractual start dates were agreed.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/cache/file/23/changes-to-part-l-affecting-new-heating-systems.pdf

i wonder how long its going to take one of the boiler manufactures to make a combi with two flow connections? something simular to the worcester system boiler integeral 3way valve but for 2 heating zones.

either way whats it got to do with gas safe if the correct zones are installed? this is a building control issue?

No need for that boiler to have been developed/designed. There's already ways to do this and it's simple. Manufacturers taking advantage of this new rule, ridiculous

The gsr guy was talking out his rse regarding NCS. It has nothing to do with gas (or them) so can't be classified as such. It is a building regs thing.
You also can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. What do you do already if the cust won't pay for trv's or a basic room stat.......note it on your paperwork.

Easiest way to zone an existing system is with a Honeywell HR80 and a CM67. About £130 for the kit for 1 room and fitted in 20 minutes.
New build is different and will have to be zoned and best and cheapest with zone valves.

Stan
Use the orange and grey wires of the valves connected to the stat terminals of the combi. They are volt free.
PM me if you want a diagram.

The gsr guy was talking out his rse regarding NCS. It has nothing to do with gas (or them) so can't be classified as such. It is a building regs thing.
You also can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. What do you do already if the cust won't pay for trv's or a basic room stat.......note it on your paperwork.

Easiest way to zone an existing system is with a Honeywell HR80 and a CM67. About £130 for the kit for 1 room and fitted in 20 minutes.
New build is different and will have to be zoned and best and cheapest with zone valves.

Stan
Use the orange and grey wires of the valves connected to the stat terminals of the combi. They are volt free.
PM me if you want a diagram.

I think you are right. one of the plumbers i know did a survey on a heating a few years ago in the boom,as the customers were buying a house.he just checked it out for safety,just a combi 8 rads wrote a quick report on it nothing too technical,noted it had no room stat fitted,the heating was only 3 years old so working spot on .The vendors laywers picked up on this,as the system was relativly new ,rooms stats came in 2002 as law in building regs the original installer got hammered with a bill for 1200 quid to fit a wall stat,as the buyers wanted no visible cable ,decoration re instated,and would not let the original installer fit it .The original installer was gutted,but was told not to contest as it was against building regs no contest.

I think you are right. one of the plumbers i know did a survey on a heating a few years ago in the boom,as the customers were buying a house.he just checked it out for safety,just a combi 8 rads wrote a quick report on it nothing too technical,noted it had no room stat fitted,the heating was only 3 years old so working spot on .The vendors laywers picked up on this,as the system was relativly new ,rooms stats came in 2002 as law in building regs the original installer got hammered with a bill for 1200 quid to fit a wall stat,as the buyers wanted no visible cable ,decoration re instated,and would not let the original installer fit it .The original installer was gutted,but was told not to contest as it was against building regs no contest.

no good he could have just fit a wireless one and get a way with £100.00

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
M
AW hell what's the cost of a filter, £70 and...
Replies
Views
happyflyer
H
J
Their initial response said they only do 25mm...
Replies
Views
jacksonblackson
J
  • Question
Re: Sludge flush failure DIY resolution (or...
Replies
Views
Back