to zone or not to zone | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss to zone or not to zone in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

S

sheff paul

First post after my 10 day ban(thanks Dan:thinking:).Any way spoke to Gasafe last week,and any full heating will be classed as NCS if it is not zoned at least upstairs ,and downstairs on separate zones,this includes combi's.Personally i have no problem doing this,but have noticed many installers dont do it.The problem i have is pricing for jobs ,as this easily bumps up the price,and plenty of installers dont so on price they can beat me easily.Heatings have to comply to building regs,if not when you move a sharp eyed survey can cause massive problems.Just started up again trading,so what are your views on the regs do you zone,or are you taking a risk .

The gsr guy was talking out his rse regarding NCS. It has nothing to do with gas (or them) so can't be classified as such. It is a building regs thing.
You also can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. What do you do already if the cust won't pay for trv's or a basic room stat.......note it on your paperwork.

Easiest way to zone an existing system is with a Honeywell HR80 and a CM67. About £130 for the kit for 1 room and fitted in 20 minutes.
New build is different and will have to be zoned and best and cheapest with zone valves.

Stan
Use the orange and grey wires of the valves connected to the stat terminals of the combi. They are volt free.
PM me if you want a diagram.

Hi Tamz, could you send me a diagram aswell if i pm you please. trying to get my head round this zoning for combi's

Just installing my first zoned system using a combi under the new regs and was wondering if there was any reason why you couldn't use a 3 port mid position valve with 2 room stats ?
The problem is that there will always be one port open (the mid pos valve gives HW or HW and CH or CH. You cannot shut off both ports, which is necessary if you want to be able to control two zones independently

Just a thought on this zoneing!! next year I've hopefully got a nice little project:cheesy:. a few flats, one of which is a 1 bed, so there are only four rooms, 5 if you count the entrance hall!! so that will be 2 rads in one zone and 2 in the other, twice as much pipework 2 two ports and two channel time clock and two room stats, nearly doubles the cost!!!:mad2:

a few flats, one of which is a 1 bed, so there are only four rooms, 5 if you count the entrance hall!! so that will be 2 rads in one zone and 2 in the other, twice as much pipework 2 two ports and two channel time clock and two room stats, nearly doubles the cost!!!:mad2:
The need to have two zones is only the recommended minimum requirement. The final decision as to what is required is down to the local Building Control Officer. I would get him on board.

There is also a possible let out as the Guide says zoning is not appropriate for single storey open-plan dwellings with a living area greater than 70% of the total.

Last edited:
many do, usually to dhw cyl tho, wiessmann i think mebe cud be adapted ?

Unlikely a Viessmann 4-pipe could be adapted that easily, as the second set of pipes are not weather comp'd or constant flow, but max temp to heat the cylinder up as quickly as poss.

I did ask Viessmann about this zoning question, but left my notes at a client's (oops!) ... anyway, they have options for multi-zones (& not just low-loss headers) but I'm guessing they don't come cheap.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
M
AW hell what's the cost of a filter, £70 and...
Replies
Views
happyflyer
H
J
Their initial response said they only do 25mm...
Replies
Views
jacksonblackson
J
  • Question
Re: Sludge flush failure DIY resolution (or...
Replies
Views
Back