TOP TIP (oilies) | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Bunker
  • Start date
  • Replies 89
  • Views 16K

Discuss TOP TIP (oilies) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

If I havnt said it before:

CHECK THE NOZZLE is what it says on the tin. Had it again today, a .1 in a .55 pot. No wonder it was schmokin...

Thats about 5 times in the last 12 months. All from HWOS so not dodgy stock.

I check some but I don't check all of them, I will now that's for sure!

If someone at the merchants has been taking the nozzles out of their container for some reason, then I wouldn't trust the nozzles quality as they may have touched or damaged the spray end. I avoid touching it even when fitting a new nozzle.

Had this a few years ago after an apprentice tidied my van.

Said apprentice was made to check every single nozzle had the correct lid. I usually carry a couple of hundred, kept him busy for a few hours and he never made the mistake again. He was also astonished at how much it hurts to get beaten with a flue brush..........

Also had it before, though not recently thought it was a 1.25 turned out to be a 3.5 :bomb2: didn't sound healthy though strangely it did run.

More Top Tips for those who are not hugely experienced:
- Flexibles.

Only carry 2 types:
1/4 male angled to 1/4 female straight
1/4 male angled to 3/8 female straight

I use Green bio ones for 3/8 and black long life for 1/4, just colour codes them in the van.
And a box of adapters, inserts, Heldite, isolators, 1/4 to 10mm, 3/8 to 10mm etc.

First remove old flex from oil pipe, place end into small tub.
Put new flex onto oil pipe.
Detach old flex from pump along with union if present (17mm and or 15mm spanner usually), once cracked, will drain into tub.
Open isolator and bleed new flex into tub (if no isolator, install one).
Install new angle end into pump in same orientation as last one came out (usually).

Old braided 3/8 hoses are often 19mm spanner with 17mm adaptor, new ones are bigger.

I also keep in my 'oil line sorting tray box thing' a compartment of all the odds and sods I take off old pipes, weird and wonderful conex threaded 1/2" to 3/8 female elbow iron (OK I made that one up..).

I always show the old hose to custard or leave in boiler until the next year.

I use a metal roasting pan for changing pumps and oil lines. Catches all the oil.

I use a metal roasting pan for changing pumps and oil lines. Catches all the oil.

I do exactly the same, - used to get them from old cookers! :smile:

I also prefer a large flexi bucket for cleaning baffles in & for any rubbish (old hoses, oil soaked rags, old boiler insulation etc.)
Also carry a plastic sealable container for holding any oil that you flush out or catch in another container which means you can recycle it or let it settle & use the clean oil later. A 3 or 5 litre strong container will be minimum.

- Service tools.

Spanners/ sockets:
10mm - WB newer type 2nd hex bolts (dont use a philips)
11mm - Crossland oil filter bowls
12mm - mmmm, cant think of any use
13mm - most burner nuts (short set for minor 1s), some chamber doors. I use either a ratchet spanner or often a 1/4 socket set.
14mm - some unions for the flex on pressure gauge manifold
15mm - 1/4 male angle flex, some other 1/4 fittings
16mm - nozzle. I carry 2, some nozzle mounts.
17mm - (ratchet) many chamber doors, Riello nozzle mounts (although often spanner is too thick so mine is filed down a tad. Also this size for some oil line fittings, ratchet end useful for 3/8 males into fire valves etc.
19mm - some 3/8 fittings

Screwdrivers:
Philips for Riello (and later Minor1) blast tubes. Also for some electrode mounts.
Pozi No 2 for general purpose
Few flats for general purpose
Torx 20 & 25 for some burner dismantling

Adjustables, pump pliers etc
Hammer
Wire brushes
Flue brushes

To be continued

- Service tools.

Spanners/ sockets:
10mm - WB newer type 2nd hex bolts (dont use a philips)
11mm - Crossland oil filter bowls
12mm - mmmm, cant think of any use

...12 mm open spanner needed for nut at back of older Reillo burners for the nut on pipe out to nozzle.

the biggest rubber line dust sheet you can find, as no matter how big it is something always escape off the edge :)
small ball pein hammer, to allow you to reach into the depths off the rayburn boiler and knock the last recalcitrant baffle up a bit to get it out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit Best, I was going to say that for 12mm spanner, had to use it today!
Anyone come up with a novel idea to get to the 2 x 5mm allen key bolts out, that hold in (I think) sterling burners into SE Worcester heatslaves? Possibly one of the most annoying blots to get too.

ah, also one of the things you definitely need, even if you wont realise until the following year............... tub of copper grease!!! god send.

ah, also one of the things you definitely need, even if you wont realise until the following year............... tub of copper grease!!! god send.

I bought a big tub about 4 years ago. Used about a third. Haven't had a seized nut since.

Usually had some. I also bought a big tub (too mean to buy the little tubes) & I don't use it, but would help if I remember to not leave it in the garage! :smile:

- Flexibles.

Only carry 2 types:
1/4 male angled to 1/4 female straight
1/4 male angled to 3/8 female straight

Be careful with suntec pumps, the Male flexis can block an internal port on some of them.

have a 45 gallon drum :D might scoop some into a container to take :)

my top tip, if you do oil servicing for rented property's

take you own oil, sods law they will have just moved in and awaiting delivery
or about to leave and tipping the tank up to get the last of it out !!!

have a 45 gallon drum :D might scoop some into a container to take :)

my top tip, if you do oil servicing for rented property's

take you own oil, sods law they will have just moved in and awaiting delivery
or about to leave and tipping the tank up to get the last of it out !!!

Does save a lot of time, if you bring your own oil, - but will you get paid extra?
Very handy to have a drum or 2 of Kerosine in severe weather for those holidays/weekends that an elderly person has run out.
Over here, there is Kerosine at some garage pumps.
Probably illegal to carry Kerosine, no doubt!

Does save a lot of time, if you bring your own oil, - but will you get paid extra?
Very handy to have a drum or 2 of Kerosine in severe weather for those holidays/weekends that an elderly person has run out.
Over here, there is Kerosine at some garage pumps.
Probably illegal to carry Kerosine, no doubt!

*grins*

who said it was your oil :D

Every little drop helps! :smile:

If you have oil heating yourself, then a drop of dirty oil now & again, added to a big drum to settle, has it's benefits!

Every little drop helps! :smile:

If you have oil heating yourself, then a drop of dirty oil now & again, added to a big drum to settle, has it's benefits!

i do :D
let it settle !!??!!??

a sack barrow with ply screwed to it
inlet hose, 12v electric pump, water separator, gauze filter and two large can type paper filters with a strainer going to the outlet hose :D
battery on the bottom with bungies

all inch tapping filters :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
..Thanks, i am wondering if we can keep the...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
Back