TOP TIP (oilies) | Boilers | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Bunker
  • Start date
  • Replies 89
  • Views 16K

Discuss TOP TIP (oilies) in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most braided hoses have the date on the fitting at one end or another, I seem to reqularly come across ones from the early 90's.

The braided from HWOS don't, or certainly didn't up to a year ago. Braided should be changed annually regardless.

Long life hoses should be changed as required. Long life hoses without a date do not have to be changed annually - that's nonsense! The date they were fitted should be the start date and in any case common sense is required - Check the condition of the hose. Often long life hoses will start to show signs of deterioration (cracking, stiffness etc) before 5 years is up in which case they should be replaced.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

Last edited:
There are no deails in any Regulations (Building Regs or otherwise etc) regarding maintenance of supply pipework other than installation requirements. Regulations only state that pipework "must be fit for purpose" but do not go into specifics. OFTEC procedures advise changing braided hoses annually and long life hoses as required or 5 years. There is no mandatory requirement to change hoses.

True, but if something goes wrong, what would your insurers think?

All the oilies are fully aware of the requirements and their responsibilities with all aspects of oil.

OFTEC is a waste of space. Yes it polices its members, but does nothing against people working outside of the rules that are not members.

Yes you can install, repair and work with oil without OFTEC but you cant commission.

Somebody needs to wake up and bring all combustible fuels under the same body. After all they can all kill.

How would oil kill you? Drowning? You only get carbon bicarbonate from gas like! ;)

oftec.jpgBelieve me, I've seen some seriously dangerous oil boilers.

One that comes to mind was in an old chimney as they often are, and the access plate to the rear of the chimney was in the extension sitting room. Boiler was about 30 years old and it was filling the room up with CO. Very bad.

Great one learnt today for service/ repair engineers:

Dont buy/ carry motors for the RBL and RDB. Just buy the RDB motor, you can strip the outer sleeves back and just cut off/ make safe the red cable :)
Same sort of money but cuts your stock in half :)

When you have the burner out, unplug the coil and look at your spark. Amazing how often you'll find it arcing on the nozzle or tube. Tweak with a screwdriver.

I have had a few boiler repairs lately (oil) and would like to carry some spares , (not a lot !!!!) stuff like nozzles , the odd control box , flexi hoses etc. just basic stuff so when I get a repair or service job that I can try the obvious first as such before ordering more expensive parts. I have a kane 250 analyser oil kit model so have the smoke pump + gauges as I went gas safe registered firs as could not afford oftec too at the time. but am thinking of joining now, so any recommendations of a few stock I could carry, don't want to spend more than around £100ish quid , I that enough?. a few recommendations of most popular parts around. thanks

I have had a few boiler repairs lately (oil) and would like to carry some spares , (not a lot !!!!) stuff like nozzles , the odd control box , flexi hoses etc. just basic stuff so when I get a repair or service job that I can try the obvious first as such before ordering more expensive parts. I have a kane 250 analyser oil kit model so have the smoke pump + gauges as I went gas safe registered firs as could not afford oftec too at the time. but am thinking of joining now, so any recommendations of a few stock I could carry, don't want to spend more than around £100ish quid , I that enough?. a few recommendations of most popular parts around. thanks
There is a thread on this somewhere in this section. Have a look about, Il try to find it too.

I have seen a great big list, but to be practical I have a ford connect! i have no room for my usual gas + installation gear as it is so only want around 10nozzles? a control box or 2?, d some flexes, servicing stuff mainly

I have had a few boiler repairs lately (oil) and would like to carry some spares , (not a lot !!!!) stuff like nozzles , the odd control box , flexi hoses etc. just basic stuff so when I get a repair or service job that I can try the obvious first as such before ordering more expensive parts. I have a kane 250 analyser oil kit model so have the smoke pump + gauges as I went gas safe registered firs as could not afford oftec too at the time. but am thinking of joining now, so any recommendations of a few stock I could carry, don't want to spend more than around £100ish quid , I that enough?. a few recommendations of most popular parts around.
thanks

my stock of nozzles is over £400 + vat!!, spare photo cells, capacitors,control boxes, AAVs, flexis, filters, electrodes, fire valve tester, fire valves, bearings for motors, wicks,vapour shells, soon a spare new burner (not wasting time on 2nds again), suction pump, tank transfer pump, solenoids, valve stems,ceramic insulation boards, rope seals, assorted flared fittings, coil of 10mm cu, list is endless and around £4000 plus at present.

If you spent £100, stick to vapourising range cookers, £20 on wicks and £100 on a new oil valve.

It is not cheap putting a van stock together for oil, but if you are wanting to get customer confidence the ability to pull a part out of the van is essential, especially if your in a rural area.

well im currently going to a property first to check what nozzle and flexi hose is needed before I can book a service in. it would be nice to have a small selection of stuff like that on me, obviously I can build my stock up , would be daft just to spend 4000 on hwos or wherever in one go!

.50/55/60/65/75/85 80 EH. they are the most common. And a .60 60 W.
You will do 99.9% of flexs with just 2:
1/4 male angled to 1/4 female straight
1/4 make angled to 3/8 female straight
Outside of that, the list is loooong.

Coils.
Danfoss state their operating range is 1.8 - 2.2 KOhms (across the 2 facing terminals).
If you suspect the coil is your intermittent problem, check the resistance when its been running for 10/15 mins - if the resistance is increasing, ie up to 2.5 or 2.6 then bingo its about to give up the ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
..Thanks, i am wondering if we can keep the...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
N
  • Question
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
Back