unvented secondary return | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss unvented secondary return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
every large commercial installation i have fitted has had a secondary return, dont see how it cools cylinder down as much as you say if the insulation is as much on the pipe as it is the cylinder, in fact some jobs ive done the lagging seems thicker on the pipe. if the water content is calculated as the total amount required heating there is no additional water or heat loss. the only additional efficiency cost is the running of the pump which is outweighed by reduction in loss of expensive water on long runs. I think they are good and many designers agree

We are talking about domestic here not commercial I've done lots on domestic but can't comment on commercial
But on domestic it's bad practice to have a secondary return pump on all the time it does cool cylinder quite a bit IMHO

We are talking about domestic here not commercial I've done lots on domestic but can't comment on commercial
But on domestic it's bad practice to have a secondary return pump on all the time it does cool cylinder quite a bit IMHO

which i why i posted that i dont see any real advantage in a domestic property. I didnt realise the conversation was limited t domestic only, the op title is unvented secondary return

which i why i posted that i dont see any real advantage in a domestic property. I didnt realise the conversation was limited t domestic only, the op title is unvented secondary return

It's not as I said can't comment on commercial I don't do it that's all

Don't know if it's just me but the commercial stuff I did as an apprentice wasn't unvented, hence the swimming pool sized sectional water tanks. I think the cylinders came from IMI Rycroft, but that was a long, long, long time ago.

As far as i'm concerned, a secondary return on a domestic is a total waste of energy especially in these energy efficient green times.
From my experience, most who ask about it carefully seperate their rubbish, burn condensing boilers and energy saving light bulbs, and generally do their bit for the planet but they can't wait 10 seconds or so to step into a shower.Save the planet my rse!

There are benefits of a secondary return in certain domestic properties. Quite often large bungalows with long pipe runs in 22mm pipe - that's potentially a lot of water to draw off before getting hot water. Also remember the hot water left in the pipe will cool down and need to be drawn off when the next person uses the hot water; that's wasting water and heat! The return pipework should be in 15mm (or even smaller!) and I normally wire the pump to come on when the hot water is on, which generally works for the customer. However, it will be more efficient if the pump had some sort of temperature sensor (if such thing exists) to determine if it needs to come on or not.

I don't think a flow switch will work as the the user will still need to draw off the cold water before getting hot water!

Last edited:
if plumbed in correctly with sufficient lagging etc the only disadvantage i see is power to the pump and noise. If its in a cupboard or separate room the noise issue can be reduced. What is the amount of power the pump uses? if you want it based on temp would a pipe stat work ?

if you want it based on temp would a pipe stat work ?
<br>I have used this method before nice and simple and works a treat although I used a capillary stat

Stange edit ??????

Would you use the pipe stat in conjunction with a timer? and would you use the pipe stat to turn the pump on or turn it off?

As far as i'm concerned, a secondary return on a domestic is a total waste of energy especially in these energy efficient green times.
From my experience, most who ask about it carefully seperate their rubbish, burn condensing boilers and energy saving light bulbs, and generally do their bit for the planet but they can't wait 10 seconds or so to step into a shower.Save the planet my rse!
everytime you open a hot tap on a lengthy draw of your wasting water that has been heated so secondary is saving in that sense
one house i look after is six floors high and cylinder is in base ment

As the original poster I'm really happy with the discussion here, cheers.
It has got me thinking, especially the cooling effect on the hot water store with the pump running from morning til night like they plan to but they actually havn't been using the secondary return pump as they wern't sure about having it on all day.
It is a large 5 bedroom property and they say you can go for a *** before the hot water comes through so the wait is an issue as it is more like minutes rather than seconds at times.

A pipe stat certainly sounds more useful, combined with the timer. Their secondary return pipework is actually all in 22mm I think and lagged most of the way, I mentioned that 15mm would've been more efficient. The cylinder and pump is in a loft room that could become a bedroom, I tried it out and the noise wasn't a major issue after all.

I would like to find out more on the cooling effects of having the pump running all day which they may try out, I see if the pipe is 15mm or less and lagged properly it shouldn't be majorly inefficient.

Seeing as they are coping without the secondary return pump running and if the heat losses from it are that great then probably not worth installing in most domestic situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
On / in / with any system that is not the normal 3 bed semi, most systems require a bit of trial and error.
Equipment has to be installed correctly to start with and that goes without saying. But the user is one of the biggest factors which determine how a system should be controlled.

I have had some nightmares, but to combat those I have had plenty of sweet dreams

Let them run for four weeks and then decide what needs to be done thats what I normaly do

As the original poster I'm really happy with the discussion here, cheers.
It has got me thinking, especially the cooling effect on the hot water store with the pump running from morning til night like they plan to but they actually havn't been using the secondary return pump as they wern't sure about having it on all day.
It is a large 5 bedroom property and they say you can go for a *** before the hot water comes through so the wait is an issue as it is more like minutes rather than seconds at times.

A pipe stat certainly sounds more useful, combined with the timer. Their secondary return pipework is actually all in 22mm I think and lagged most of the way, I mentioned that 15mm would've been more efficient. The cylinder and pump is in a loft room that could become a bedroom, I tried it out and the noise wasn't a major issue after all.

I would like to find out more on the cooling effects of having the pump running all day which they may try out, I see if the pipe is 15mm or less and lagged properly it shouldn't be majorly inefficient.

Seeing as they are coping without the secondary return pump running and if the heat losses from it are that great then probably not worth installing in most domestic situations.

no cooling affect if lagged as much as the cylinder

Yes it will cool if pump running all time won't be lagged like cylinder
As said before fuzzy this is domestic won't be lagged like commercial

Last edited by a moderator:
if the lagging is at least the same as the cylinder how does it cool anymore than it would in the cylinder?

Because it won't be lagged the same as the cylinder the cylinder will be 50mm lagging

Scientifically speaking............It will cool, even the cylinders have a heat loss of about 2.5 kw in 24hr period (approx) with the 2" foam they have applied. Doesn't matter how well insulated the flow and return are on the hot water side you will have heat loss of some description.

Scientifically speaking............It will cool, even the cylinders have a heat loss of about 2.5 kw in 24hr period (approx) with the 2" foam they have applied. Doesn't matter how well insulated the flow and return are on the hot water side you will have heat loss of some description.

never said you wont get heat loss, im pointing out that there is no reason why the heat loss will be anymore if it is lagged the same.

commercially this is alwasy the case, from some posts here i get the feeling people are undervaluing returns based onheat loss which doesnt need to be so

Fuzzy your talking about commercial not domestic it does cool cylinder and it won't be lagged with 50mm insulation
I've fitted approx 50 secondary returns on large domestic property's and seen it done a few different ways the only one that works well is on a timed pump if on 24/7 cools cylinder considerably
As been stated before secondary returns are only good if there is very Long pipe runs this can be done away with if the likes or architects /designers could position cylinders boilers in more central positions in houses but as we all know this don't happen

Fuzzy your talking about commercial not domestic it does cool cylinder and it won't be lagged with 50mm insulation
I've fitted approx 50 secondary returns on large domestic property's and seen it done a few different ways the only one that works well is on a timed pump if on 24/7 cools cylinder considerably
As been stated before secondary returns are only good if there is very Long pipe runs this can be done away with if the likes or architects /designers could position cylinders boilers in more central positions in houses but as we all know this don't happen

ive also done it on large domestic, same theory applies, just lag it properly, i dont see the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That will be fine then no air problems 👍
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Well, I'm thinking if your HOT OUT goes in a...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Yes it’s best to or oversize as you loose...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Plate load it then and use the 500l cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back