Valillant ecotec 418 condensing boiler - 6 months old not working! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Valillant ecotec 418 condensing boiler - 6 months old not working! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Thanks again. Firstly he did use a machine to flush, it took less than 3 hours including setting up & clearing away. He only did one rad downstairs & had water draining outside. He was supposed to have done this when the new boiler was fitted but my husband does not remember seeing the machine ( but he is not one to take much notice eg he was at home when the work was done & didn't notice the filter was not fitted. ) On derating the boiler- Vaillant engineer looked at the number of rads & made no comment on the size so we assumed it was ok. Today the rads are like warm, hot water hot but not as hot as it used to be. Noisy pipes are much quieter but we now have noise from airing cupboard & possibly from the new pump which disturbed my sleep. Plumber can't come back till Weds, to check if there's any more dirt in the system. He thinks if there is then there is another leak, possibly under the concrete floor. Then we go on holiday for 2 weeks. I was hoping to sort it out by then but I doubt it now. At least it's not winter. Cheers

3 hours to powerflush seem's a short period of time. Its not a one pipe system is it? new rad valves fitted?

probably best to remove a rad, take it outside and flush it with a hose pipe, see what sludge comes out.

Last edited:
Hi Sorry what's a one pipe system? The rads are on a circuit, not individually fed. Pipes were fitted in the mid 80s, rads with were replaced in the last 5 years all with TRVs. Rads have been on 3 hours tonight, room stat is at 30, the thermometer is reading 20. So still not working properly. Even if |I tried to get another plumber they wouldn't get here before the other one is due, & why should I pay someone to do work the other one has already been paid for and did not do? Thanks

why is he coming back as he put cleaner in the system then draining down to put some protector in or is he doing another powerflush the noise from ur pump could be trapped air it may need bleeding

He says he wants to check the system is clean still & no other problems before he installs the filter we paid him to do last year, which he forgot to do. And he still needs to fix the problem of water & c/h not heating properly.

lol what a joke who whats to bet a fiver he puts maggie on the Flow

Tell him that you want the filter fitted ASAP as this will help to clean the system

19.2 sounds high for a four bed house, even if it doesn't have cavity insulation.

Can you post the data you fed into the calculator?

Hi 8m, 7m, 4 external walls, 50 mm loft insulation. 10 rads & I can't remember anything else. Thanks

yeah like Richie said he will probably put the filter on the flow side or I bet hes ill when he is supposed to come back

Hi I am trying to upload pictures of the pipes in the airing cupboard but nothing is happening. Any idea how I can do this? I've used the insert image icon, but nothing happens when I click upload photos. I wanted to do this as he is now saying the noise I now have in the airing cupboard might improve by repiping the pipes into a more modern way of doing things. Should I trust him on this- If I can upload the photos perhaps as someone can help? Thanks Also he now again saying the heat exchanger is faulty.

Probably a long shot but is the pump wired back to the boiler? A colleague of mine had problems with a Vaillant due to the pump being wired along with the switch live instead. Something to do with the electronics of the boiler not detecting the pump and lowering the output of the boiler.

Hi 8m, 7m, 4 external walls, 50 mm loft insulation. 10 rads & I can't remember anything else. Thanks
I can't get exactly 19.2kW, but close enough if I assume you live in Scotland and have single glazed metal windows.

Double glazed UPV windows would reduce the requirement by 2kW and increasing the loft insulation to 300mm would reduce it by another 3.5kW. Lost insulation is a no-brainer as it will pay for itself in a couple of years. Double glazing has a much longer payback time, but would be a selling point if and when you move.

You may be able to get help paying for the improvements through the Green Deal

if hes done a powerflush I cant see it being the heat exchanger unless he did it disconnecting the flow and return pipes to the boiler I e just flushing the pipework to the rads and bypassing the boiler

Hi Even if the water runs dirty on his next visit and there might be possibly another leek? thanks

Yes ..the magnetic filter can be cleaned ,it will help to clean your system ,get him to fit it

I can't get exactly 19.2kW, but close enough if I assume you live in Scotland and have single glazed metal windows.

Double glazed UPV windows would reduce the requirement by 2kW and increasing the loft insulation to 300mm would reduce it by another 3.5kW. Lost insulation is a no-brainer as it will pay for itself in a couple of years. Double glazing has a much longer payback time, but would be a selling point if and when you move.

You may be able to get help paying for the improvements through the Green Deal
Forgot the double glazing. I don't live in Scotland but I have Raynauds so I do feel the cold which is why dealing with luke warm radiators is a real problem for me. Will ask him about derating the boiler. Thanks

if hes done a powerflush I cant see it being the heat exchanger unless he did it disconnecting the flow and return pipes to the boiler I e just flushing the pipework to the rads and bypassing the boiler

Didn't see him disconnect the pipes to boiler , will ask him.

Didn't see him disconnect the pipes to boiler , will ask him.

Sorry if you have had this adivce, make sure the by pass on the system is closed, put prog onto heating only and make sure you dont get any Hot water going through the cylinder, close all rads except 1, when and if this gets hot open 1 other rad and close the firts one and wait till this gets hot and do this with all you rads, vent all the rads, and open them all up, the magna clean is to PREVENT and catch any rust it will not clean the system if its full of crap, the magna clean can be fitted later when you know the system is clean. I have seen many systems where the flow and return pipes are linked at the last rad (DIY install) therefore if for example all the rads and the by pass were turned off the water just hammers round the flow and return pipes, this makes it very difficult to force the air out of the system, the way to test this is to close all rads except 1 close by pass if you have one turn prog onto heating only and you will hear the water blasting round the one rad you have left open if not either the by pass is open or the flow and return are linked, give it a go or ask your plumber to carry out these steps, but i bet he may have done all this because its basic stuff

Hi Plumber now 5 hours late, supposed to be fitting magna filter today. He is not replying to phone calls. What can I do? Thanks

I told u that would happen happens hes either very busy not got a clue that's why he isn't answering or ill like I said just keep trying

I told u that would happen happens hes either very busy not got a clue that's why he isn't answering or ill like I said just keep trying

I am writing to him quoting the sale of Goods Act, breach of contract giving him 14 days to respond- AND register the boiler under Building regs with the council as he hasn't done it. I'm away for 2 weeks so will have to sort it when I get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Probably temperature sensor or thermistor that...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
Then yes running 24/7 and no control don’t...
Replies
Views
Back