VAT on work boots. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss VAT on work boots. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

BN9Pete

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I have just bought some Scruffs workboots from a large plumbing merchant, and been charged VAT, the advert for the boots in the free plumbing mag in the merchants said VAT free.
I am not VAT registered so can not claim it back.
I withheld the VAT payment on my acount and the merchants acounts office phoned and said they charged VAT as they don't know if i am a sole trader(sorry no pun intended) and i could have purchased the boots for an employee.

I always thought boots were VAT free and i have no employees.
Can anyone help with this?
Thankyou

Think Ppe is zero vat rated, not all of it is though. never checked , invoices. claim it all back at end of quarter, Just post them the advert.

Last edited by a moderator:
All ppe is zero rated. The merchant is at fault here but as probably most accounts are vat registered and claiming it back, nobody much notices.
Some fashion type work boots (even if they have steel toe caps) are vatted.

Btw they should only be charging 5% vat on gas refills but not many do either.

5% on energy eff products too. E.g trv's

All ppe is zero rated. The merchant is at fault here but as probably most accounts are vat registered and claiming it back, nobody much notices.
Some fashion type work boots (even if they have steel toe caps) are vatted.

Btw they should only be charging 5% vat on gas refills but not many do either.

Thanks Tamz, with safety trainers i think VAT is charged but i have now seen the same boots in Screwfix VAT free and also Travis Perkins builders merchants, the strange thing is T/Perkins own the plumbing merchants(PTS) where i bought the boots.

always wondered if its legit seems to good to be true . I also heard a rumour customs and excise were trying to scupper it.

It is legit. HMRC tried to take them to task about it a couple of years back but lost the case. If you had the notion you could do it yourself (or your accountant could). The corgi scheme just makes it easier not that i use it.

Will have a look into it but if anyone knows a link as to its legitimacy please post on here

Do you really think a TA or a mod would post BS on here. That's why we are called trusted

just looking for info like the link tamz posted and that wasnt bs it was from hmrc. Just looking for info not the holy grail of tax avoidance so i could make informed decision as to its legitamcy. As it happens after reading Hrmc stuff . To much hassle for me and you can only save vat controls .trvs etc are installed individually you cant claim on a full install etc

Last edited by a moderator:
just looking for info like the link tamz posted and that wasnt bs it was from hmrc. Just looking for info not the holy grail of tax avoidance so i could make informed decision as to its legitamcy.

I would live a holy grail for tax avoidance

IMO Starbucks got it right.

It's a shame that the smaller companies can't get away with what they can

To much hassle for me and you can only save vat controls .trvs etc are installed individually you cant claim on a full install etc

That is where the vat optimiser came into its own. You just popped some numbers in and it came up with a figure. Saved the hastle.

As i said, i believe it has been scaled back a bit from what it was and you could still do it yourself. Just takes a few hours to work out the numbers (probably erring in their favour a bit) and Bobs your uncle. It is just repeat stuff after that.

Similar plumbing topics

Is there anyone on here that has recently...
Replies
Views
R
guys my other gas boy got one when plumb...
Replies
Views
smtplumbing
S
R
Emptied !
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Had this a couple of months ago. I send my...
Replies
Views
A
Stanios Well no offence meant to the guy I'm...
Replies
Views
Adamcasper
A
Back