W-plan pump run on | Boilers | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss W-plan pump run on in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

convert from the existing W plan...
If I changed it to S plan, when both are satisfied there would be nowhere for the residual heat to circulate ....as mentioned, the bypass loop appears to be just that - a 15mm pipe around the pump which I am not sure IS a bypass loop as such
"only" CH or HW is fine as it is quite a small house and the HW requirement is low
You could go the conventionel way of installing a ABV between the boiler flow&return if converting to a S plan otherwise convert to a W system with a 3 port diverter valve.

possibly..... just possibly.......
I suggested he turned the CH stat right down and turned the HW stat right up......popped over to the house this morning and found the rads were red hot.
Investigation found that the valve was not returning fully to the home position when the CH satisfied (W-plan remember)……there was no voltage across the motor so nothing could be holding it open
I undid the 2 screws that hold the backplate to the brass valve about 1/2 a turn and the assembly immediately fully opened which should of course close the CH circuit…….did them back up and operated it again and it was quite stiff and didnt return fully…..
I have put two small washers between the backplate and the brass valve to space it out a little bit and it now APPEARS to be working properly !.....hmmm
...and that was a brand new unused Honeywell V4044C1288/U 22mm 3 Port motorised diverter valve, sadly bought off a private seller on ebay so no guarantee, the backplate looks straight and there are no dents or anything anywhere

If it continues to work OK I will take that as a win :D

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Its a very ingenious but devilishly cunning...
Replies
Views
John Thank you for all your help, changed the...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
Hi It seems like i have exatly same problem -...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back