water safety regulations | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss water safety regulations in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, hoping you lads can answer me a couple of questions or point me in the right direction to perhaps an advisory/safety body that can.
Q1. my daughter bought a new home in dec 2010, Would i be correct in assuming that there was a reg in force at that time restricting the hot water temp to the bath of 48degrees c. I believe that there is now but was it in force then.
Q2. each morning she has to run the cold tap in the bathroom to run off the warm water that ensues. ,,My concern here is regarding the possible hazard of legionella, or perhaps i am over reacting, what do you think.

On Tuesday 6th April 2010 it became compulsory in England that all new build homes or conversions or a substantial change of use premises that bath taps must not exceed 48 degrees, so must be fitted with a thermostatic mixer valve , it was to protect young children and the eldery from scolding,easily fitted , as for your cold water pipe heating up it may be just to near hot supply pipe,this can be insulated or moved,legionaires disease usually happens with stagnant water above 25 degrees it mostly happens in cooling towers it is very rare if ever happens in domestic situations, it mostly thrives at 35 degrees, i am sure but dont quote nhs baths cant be anymore than 43 degees and showers 41 degrees hope this helps

Jim. that is exactly what i wanted to hear, thank you. by you confirming my initial post it gives me a little more negotiating power in discussing with the builders/plumbers over what can be done to finally conclude this sorry and long standing matter.
many thanks to all have given input. dave the gas man, alias triplex

Last edited:
Jim. that is exactly what i wanted to hear, thank you. by you confirming my initial post it gives me a little more negotiating power in discussing with the builders/plumbers over what can be done to finally conclude this sorry and long standing matter.
many thanks to all have given input. dave the gas man, alias triplex
Triplex, I fear you may well be disappointed, if I have understood your situation correctly the bath does not have a thermostatic mixer (blending) valve installed & the property was completed in Dec 2010 (Part G changed in April 2010). As far as I am aware when the Building Reg's change a bit of leeway is always aloud by Building Control this is due to the fact that there is often little warning of what the changes are going to be & the fact that the construction of the properties may have been in progress for some length of time. It normally works on the point when planning consent was giving for the project.
I think the warming of the cold water has been fully dealt with, except possibly to check un-vented installation is correct (backflow).
Just as a side note, if a bleeding valve is installed under the bath it would still not function correctly unless the cold water issue is resolved because it would rely on the cold water being cool to temper down the hot.

I agree with Chris on this. The amendment came in to force on 6th April 2010 for new build properties and change of use properties. Part G 3.6 Prevention of scalding. It is very likely, that if the building project had approval for building regulations before this date, then the new amendments would not be applied, even if installed after this date.

man came out and more or less said what the last two posters say re blending valve. he goes on to say he will change the cold water valve and will alter some of the pipework, his explanation makes sense but its not going to cure the problem entirely, will probably just nibble away at it. . no doubt its going to req lagging fitting or re routing of pipes, did say that he would get back to me after discussions with his boss..

Back