what gets your goat....???? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss what gets your goat....???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Customers who supply cheap ceramics, or even better different bits of a suite from different suppliers (because they liked the look of that really nasty *designer* basin) and then moan at me that they aren't the same shade of white or don't look right together when installed - As if it's my fault...

Offered to paint one for a customer that was properly banging on a couple of weeks ago... That went down like a fart in a lift! :)

custards who say i know what the problem is but i can't be bothered to do it and they have bought the part that they think is broken when in fact it is something entirely different that has gone.

lol, i had this last week, customer said i've bought a new handle for my toilet, can you fit it? said ok went round and it turned out not to be flushing cos syphon diaphragm had gone. told em they were on the clock while i went for a new one!

That's very strange. Your boss get next door lion.....:66:
So be careful, this may happen to anyone..... :)

Customers standing over you, I just tend to put my tools out in half circle shape in a attempt to make a wall around myself. Kind of works but not all the time.

Another one is disgusting toilets/bathrooms. I had to go into a house the other day to replace the pan connector on the toilet, it was covered in urine all around the pan/floor. I wasn't taking the toilet out so I just dismantled the boxing around the toilet and done it that way! The place was disgusting it looked like the basin had grown a ginger beard from where he had a shave and not washed the basin out. :puke:

It was rank at the time, was a really old lady and I was trying to explain to her how her room stat worked. I was stood there talking to her with her spit on my lip for ages. In the end I dropped my phone on the fllor on purpose and wiped it on my sleeve whilst she wasn't looking. I think she noticed that she had done it and I didn't want to offend her by wiping it off infront of her.I think I am going to go to work in a scream style mask from now on, just for protection from random spit missile attacks from customers
how nice are you.! my natural reaction would be my neck violently spasmodically thrusting my forehead forward landing on the bridge of the old dears nose.i said sorry as i stepped over her on the way out.

`You spend an hour taking a boiler apart to find a fault,scratching your head,when the customer mentions that the diverter valve has been making funny noises!
Or he watches you fit a new part,then tells you that the 'other plumber' fitted one of those last week.
Once had a tennant call me at 11 pm with no hot water.I told her I couldn't come out unless she had water coming through the ceiling,or could smell gas."Now you mention it,I think I might be able to smell gas.See you soon!" Bleeping *&@()*&!!!

People who stick solid bath panels on with loads of gripfill or similar, so "there's no fixings showing"... Then expect you to take it off without damaging it at all when the bath waste has just created a nice water feature in the lounge below!!!

no swearing allowed...........

Last edited by a moderator:
driving customers to cash points ,as they never have any money to pay !

I am getting one of them mobile terminals to collect payment at the end of the job

22mm gate valves from the DHW cistern which won't turn off fully (guess that means just about all of them), especially when lower than the top of the cylinder.

Customers who ask you to fix of cheap naff second hand bathroom suites off Ebay.

Plumbers Mait

Last edited:
working with a drunk tenant, you're their to fix a problem and hes explaining it like a child and asking twice..

i just cant do it, ended it with saying, you're drunk so i cant talk to you and wont fix the problem.. he didnt like that much..

The Big Sheds crippling the little guys just trying to make a living. My local plumbers merchants is struggling to compete as they can't afford to be open late and 7 days a week. I'll always go to them first as they offer a personal service and take time to get me the right fittings etc, which sadly isn't a part of the service of the sheds.

My other major is diy programmes on TV telling custards that if they do it themselves they will save a fortune. They forget to tell them that they will also put more plumbers on the dole while doing so. If people would rather "save" money by doing it themselves, then why should I bother buying from their shops, using their services etc, coz I could do it cheaper and better.
One guy on one of these diy programmes was taking down a supporting wall, and I doubt if any non skilled people would know a supporting wall if it was marked in big red crayons. Some of these programmes are dangerous!

Rant over (not a grumpy old man, honest!)

Programmes like cowboy builders / plumbers etc highlighting the one dishonest plumber in the town but making every customer think that we are all like that.

Cost of diesel.

Cost of insurances.

Increases in material costs.

Indecisive customers.

Opening a box that doesn't have all the bits there to put it together.

Cheap traps supplied by customer, henceforth called weeeeeeee traps. The noise they make as you chuck them through the (open) window.

The phone ringing when laid half upside down tightening up that nut that's just out of reach, to find it's somebody asking about advertising.

Forgetting yer dinner.

tbc

Last day of my week off!And I still haven't done half the diy jobs I had the week off to do.

People coming on the forum, posting a problem and never logging on again and checking whats been said and never posting again :-(

oh yea, i forgot.

members swearing on the forums and taking me 3 hours reading, reporting and tidying up the threads before i get around to having some fun myself.
:bigcry::53::2guns::dita::dita::19::furious3::ban::rant::winkiss:

i don't understand who the non-swearing rule is meant to protect. children do not come on here - and why would they? teenagers might ocassion the place - when sniffing about for an apprenticeship - but teenagers all swear more than we do and are far more proficient and inventive with it - ever travelled on a bus? and i would say it's absolutely and utterly not true that swearing is evidence of abusive or intimidating behaviour. and even if it might be, it is perfectly possible to be intimidating and abusive without it. most swearing, where it does still occur, is done as a form of exclamation and almost always in an attempt to be amusing. which of course it is. i suspect the real reason is under the false belief that swearing is offensive to many and that this would worry sponsors. which of course i understand is the only reason we're here afterall thank you very much etc. but it is amusing to watch a bunch of plumbers being told off for swearing. is there a dockers forum? that might make for the most amusing prohibition.

i hope, in a thread about things getting your goat, i am allowed to express this opnion without reprisal. but if not, my sincerest apologies, please remove and chastise at will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Has s/he confirmed that there can be no...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
Back