When Customer Says You're Too Expensive | Central Heating Forum | Page 5 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Mrs Tara Plumbi
  • Start date
  • Replies 159
  • Views 20K

Discuss When Customer Says You're Too Expensive in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan do u do quotes or does some one give you the work? Have you advertised?

no I work for my self , dont have a boss and only work with customers direct no builders involve . Yes I plan and organise installs acording to plans along with other trades but only with customers , no estate agents , no landlords , no idiots

Jase you naughty boy this is open forum! And if that all it is in London then I'm definitely staying in kent....

Hi Bert large, I am guessing you are a firemen, ever plumber I have met in southwest is a part time firemen!! Day rate can vary up here, from £200 to £450, depending on quality of work, customer base etc. I believe southwest (Cornwall and Devon) is maximum of £200 per day but as you say easier workload, less pressure. The big difference is the hourly wage, southwest is £20-£25 per hour, so still earning around £200 per day, up here you can charge £50-£75 per hour so potentially £600 per day. And emergency callout, you could get away with £150 per hour for out of hours emergencies. Depends how busy you are and how much you need the work

Hi Jase,
Ha ha, no I'm a full time plumber not a fireman. I don't actually know any firemen
masquerading as plumbers.
You're about right on the day rate but not on the hourly rate here, its much higher.

I try to pick & choose my jobs as I enjoy working on my own, can't think of anything worse than employing a few blokes & having to be forever chasing work for them, consequently driving prices down.

Thats not London, I'm in bucks. I ain't bothered in telling people what I charge, why the secret?

The more I think about it, the more I want small jobs, better pay, less risk, more time at merchants having fun. Finnish earlier. Fed up of big jobs at moment. Been on big jobs for last 3-4 months. Might advertise with yell again as that's where I get small jobs from.

Thats not London, I'm in bucks. I ain't bothered in telling people what I charge, why the secret?

say a town over one of us quotes, slightly more expensive and they use your figures, decide we are ripping them off and then tell everyone we are cowboys.

i know we all charge different rates but what if someone in bucks posts up and are cheaper than you.
customer then quotes the other guys rates of pay and refuses to pay yours.

the annoying thing about the internet !!!!

i quoted to fit an outside tap.
person agreed, i turned up, they had read up on the screwfix forum it shouldn't be more than 25 quid.

hence why rates of pay aren't discussed, opens up a can of worms.
so please jase could you edit it out.

say a town over one of us quotes, slightly more expensive and they use your figures, decide we are ripping them off and then tell everyone we are cowboys.

i know we all charge different rates but what if someone in bucks posts up and are cheaper than you.
customer then quotes the other guys rates of pay and refuses to pay yours.

the annoying thing about the internet !!!!

i quoted to fit an outside tap.
person agreed, i turned up, they had read up on the screwfix forum it shouldn't be more than 25 quid.

Welcome to my world.

I'm not asking you to edit your post Jase. I'm telling you.

You know full well that we do not discuss prices in open forum.

Or move the whole thread to the Arms ?

As long as prices aren't mentioned it's ok. It does the customer the world of good to know that there's a rationale to what we charge.

But no prices. Therein lies a bidding war.

I'm available my remuneration can be measured in jammy dodgers and wagon wheels. My work is so immense it cannot be measured and so grand that no price of less than a grand may be applied.

My diesel costs are around £20 per week, I'm lucky enough to have a good customer base right on my doorstep.

I say if you want a cheap job, get a handyman not a plumber. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

These people who moan about price because they saw it on he internet quoted as that are the sort of people that you don't want as customers, they are the sort of people who will ask for a complete breakdown of everything including how many elbows and how many screws etc. if you want to delete then fine but I ain't editing as I don't know how on my iPhone. Have enough trouble writing threads, let alone editing them

Yeah, got my greenhouse out in garden, doing really well this winter!! And then there's the attic, 1 guess at what plants I grow up there??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just a guess, but you may find that the...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the confirmation. Having watched...
Replies
Views
C
I want to say it's the flow. I followed a...
Replies
Views
Back