Why is my mains water PRV not maintaining 3 bar? | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why is my mains water PRV not maintaining 3 bar? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

I had a problem recently with the pressure to the house exceeding the 3 bar that the caleffi pressure regulator was set to. The gauge on it indicated that static pressure would sometimes increase to 6 bar; it's not just a gauging issue because the HW cylinder next to it starts leaking from the 6 bar relief valve (which leaks onto the garage floor as the previous owners have cut through the copper pipe, by the looks of it because it was blocked up with limescale!).

I took the valve out and cleaned it as suspect it probably hadn't been done by the previous owners in 10 years and it was a bit gunged up but once refitted I had the same issue. Replaced it with a brand new like for like and while most of the time it sits at 3 bar nicely, every few days I'll see the garage floor wet, normally in the morning presumably when the static pressure has had a chance to build up. Operating any tap drops the pressure to 3 bar immediately from where it holds pressure pretty well for a while.

Is this normal static pressure behaviour? The HW cylinder is protected by the relief valve, but is it likely to damage other parts of the system at all, eg the water softner?

Thanks for crunching those numbers, looks promising that a change in expansion vessel tomorrow should to the trick. He is going to change the T&P cylinder valve when he reinstates the D2 also - either way by close of play tomorrow the shouldn't be leaking on the garage floor!

So the plumber has been in and replaced the expansion vessel which was shot by the sounds of the water swilling around both sides of it. He also made some other changes which I'd be interested to know your thoughts on.
Rather than fitting the expansion vessel to the top, he has tapped into the cold water supply line (for the whole house system) and fitted the expansion vessel for that. The logic was that it is better for the seals in the expansion vessel having it on the cold water side than the hot. I'm guessing that shouldn't make much difference as without a one-way valve the expansion vessel was provided space for the whole hot and cold water system anyway (hence why the pressure was going through the roof?).
Second one is rather than cap off the expansion vessel outlet on top (not required now it is fitted on the cold side) he has instead capped off what was previously (and is marked as such in the boiler manual) the hot water supply line and supplied the system from the expansion vessel fitting at the top. Any issue with either??

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_193201.jpg
    IMG_20200814_193201.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200814_193039.jpg
    IMG_20200814_193039.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200814_193029.jpg
    IMG_20200814_193029.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 43
Re position of E.vessel, in either position, if it fails, 4 to 5 litres of water will discharge through the PRV each time the cylinder is heated from cold.
Hot water take off? just wonder if Ferroli have a specific reason for taking it from the side.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
And it's fixed! Had someone move the EV from...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Apparently it worked fine before the TMV hot...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a chattering float valve in the loft...
Replies
Views
Back