why ive got no work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss why ive got no work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

He (or rather his twin brother) plastered the walls first. Then he put the tiles on. Then he fitted the shower enclosure that leaked.
He came back 12 times to try and fix it. (mainly resealing, but scratched the tray once and had to pay for Mr Magic).
He then took the tiles and the tray and the enclosure off and did it all again with new materials.
It still leaked - and leaked behind the tiles as well as from the enclosure.

Sure he was a trier, but tbh I could turn up at somebody's house and make a mess of a shower installation over and over again quite easily, and I don't have the 25 years plumbing experience that he claimed he had (repeatedly).

The first thing unwound of done if a plumber bodged it an flooded my house would be to
Claim on his insurance... Unless he didnt have any then your silly for not
Getting someone with insurance I wouldn't of cost you if it's his fault...

Yes, the first plumber did apparently claim on his insurance.
That's why he paid me the money to get another plumber to do what he (with his 25 years experience) couldn't.
Presumably if he's also bodged the Gas Safety bit and killed us, then his insurance would have paid for our funerals.

The second plumber, who was supposed to have fixed it all, I can't get in touch with (or rather, he won't respond) and given it was just over a year since he did the job, then it's a moot point as to whether he was at fault, since I only have the third plumber's opinion to go on. I have nobody to refer to for independent, impartial and expert advice. I just have to keep throwing money at plumbers in the hope that one day, one of them gets it right.
As I said before, I had hoped that the CIPHE would have been able to give some sort of unbiased judgment on the quality of the first plumber's work, but no. I had to rely on the second plumber (a member of this forum) and now on a third plumber.

There's no insurance for the waste of time and the stress just trying to get someone to do a decent job causes!

but my understanding is you got the job done for free?.

do you have an uncle bob?.

Well the first plumber paid for the second plumber, and I paid the first plumber, so not really free , no. Especially when you consider all the time off work I had to take, all the upheaval and inconvenience. And of course I've had to pay the third plumber.

It's too early to tell if the third plumber has done a good job (still drying out) but if not then tbh I may have to start looking further afield: the last plumber I had who was any good put in a suite at a previous property in London and he travelled down from Stoke, where my family has some property interests. It's not the best arrangement - taking someone off a commerical job, but even with the travel costs on top it was worth it to get a good job done.

the benefits of working on commercial is that you have clark of works, clients, agents etc and high standards of work, if you do a poor job you will be made to do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you got a bad job done for you on at least 2 occasions that's the problem with our trade there is a hell of a lot of bad plumbers who really do think there good.
But I'm afraid I believe this is only getting worse as the amount of new so called plumbers whether fast track or so called apprentice trained it's all about taking a pride in your work and defo not taking on more than you know
use good materials I believe in it's better to make a bit less on jobs to make a good name for your company and keep the work coming in But never sell yourself short.
The better your name the better the jobs get to
Lol
The end

....this is only getting worse as the amount of new so called plumbers whether fast track or so called apprentice trained it's all about taking a pride in your work and defo not taking on more than you know....

What scares me though is that both the plumbers in question are well established. The first claimed 25 years of experience and the second has been going more than 15 years afaik.

Maybe it's a bit like driving? The new kids lack experience and the old guys have got complacent cos they think they know it all.

today i watched two eastern europeans arrive at a property in a h reg honda acord with 4 lengths of copper and a length of overflow poking out the sunfoof they then unloaded a wickes boiler they were in the house three hours and came out with an old boiler job done

if it had ' ve have been me i d have tempted to knock on the door where they were working and shown my gas safe card . a sharp exit in the h reg honda might ve been on the cards .

why is not an offence for customers to use illeagal fitters ? surely they re not only risking their own property , but their neighbours , which in tenements could be a disaster.

there s a dude flying about round here by the nam off herman the german . claims to be some kind of engineer .
mated quoted a full bathroom refurb inc plumbing , joinery , tiling and electrics , labour for all trades around £2200 .
along comes herman and says he ll do it all for £500. took him around 3 weeks but customer delighted , tidy job .

full bathroom refurb inc plumbing , joinery , tiling and electrics , labour for all trades for £500?

Yeah right! Pull the other one. Materials would cost more than that even if he worked for free!

that will be labour only prices, but that is one guy doing it on his own and took him 3 weeks ? if i was doing my own bathroom it wouldnt take me 3 weeks....more like 3 years :eek: lol

but for a customer, would be 3 days max

Last edited:
The Every decent trade is very similar too top football clubs
The managers of top football clubs find it easier to scout for foreign talent than train for home grown
The British government would rather let in a load of immigrants than spend money educating the youth of this country properly

ask your freinds to recomend a plumber ,ask for refferences and check them !!!!ask to see proof of insurence,ask to see proof of qualifications, i advertise but still get 50% of my work on personal recomendations.

Hello Uncle.

What sort of money was the first fella earning a day? I do agree with a few that said, get a Plumber to do the plumbing, a tiler to do the tiles, sparky, plasterer and so on.

It is hard getting the right advice and even a recommedation can turn out wrong. I now a fella who's a great talker (if you have never met him before) but he's a rubbish plumber.

Good luck next time

Bod

Hi Bod,
The second plumber did use a tiler and a plasterer, rather than doing it himself, but the end result wasn't much better than the first plumber, who did it himself.

The third plumber reckoned that the grouting by the second was poor and had failed, and so too had the sealant, and that this was the cause of the leak.

The third plumber came round last Saturday and regrouted and resealed. I left it until today and used the shower for the first time tonight.

The shower still leaks, and from exactly the same place as before, so that was more money down the drain (no pun intended).

I'm off to find some random European - the result will probably be the same, but far cheaper than the "professionals" who've failed miserably so far.

Either that, or do it myself. I have absolutely no experience of plumbing, but given my experience of plumbers, I'd rather risk my own failure than throw more cash at people who don't seem to be able to do their job.

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
In my experience, the way these things usually...
Replies
Views
Keep a diary recording the dates/times of when...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back