why ive got no work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss why ive got no work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

bad experiences nige, we have them with all trades - ive been ripped off by mechanics - only place i trust is main dealers and even they try there best to have you off...

the trouble with bathrooms is every tom dick and harry are doing them, showers should really be tanked or water proof plaster board a good job made of it and the decent sealants and grout and adhesives used - but all this is expensive - also copper fittings and no flexi tap connectors etc etc - trouble is my friend its virtually impossible to compete any more to do the job properly! so plastic pipes, felxi tap connectors - even flexi pan connectors are being used mroe and more often....

its the price you pay for the cheap eastern europen labour thats been introduced to the uk - factory jobs have gone - virtually all labour jobs have gone and now theyre moving in our trades which is dropping the money in the job right down which is causing the quality of the job to drop due to the prices being too competitive.

Hi Bod,
The second plumber did use a tiler and a plasterer, rather than doing it himself, but the end result wasn't much better than the first plumber, who did it himself.

The third plumber reckoned that the grouting by the second was poor and had failed, and so too had the sealant, and that this was the cause of the leak.

The third plumber came round last Saturday and regrouted and resealed. I left it until today and used the shower for the first time tonight.

The shower still leaks, and from exactly the same place as before, so that was more money down the drain (no pun intended).

I'm off to find some random European - the result will probably be the same, but far cheaper than the "professionals" who've failed miserably so far.

Either that, or do it myself. I have absolutely no experience of plumbing, but given my experience of plumbers, I'd rather risk my own failure than throw more cash at people who don't seem to be able to do their job.

Hello Uncle.

My guess would be if it is still leaking, it'll be the cubical. Was the cubils/door fitted and the siliconed?

Bod

Cheers Bodd,
The leak is behind the tiles. 5 minutes with the shower hose running straight into a bucket and I discovered what half a dozen highly paid "main dealers" couldn't.
So, for the 4th time in 2 years it's strip the whole thing out, back to the plaster and start again. But who to go with? the certificated, 25 years experienced, established plumber - like the ones who've made such a brilliant job already, or the random Pole who charges a quarter of the price?
Yes, I get that there are bad tradesmen in every trade - I'm in IT and I see it all the time in that area (from the Millennium Bug scam to the online "maintenance" offers nowadays). Maybe I've got MUG written on my forehead or something, or this area of London (SE18) just doesn't have any decent plumbers, but TBH I'm sick of throwing money and time away for as bad a result as I could get myself with a DIY manual. Sure you can blame the Eastern Europeans for taking the work, but imho it's the supposedly kosher plumbers who I've experienced who've done such a bad job that give you all a bad name and tempt the average punter like me to go with the cheaper option.

Last edited by a moderator:
sell home , your joist must have rotten by know ! i am Easter European (Bulgaria)and I have a van and can not change a boiler for 3h !
I thought I was quick as it takes me 1 day to do it on my own , with apprentice 6h !
Colleges are open for all people ,so I went and got my self a ACS, in college i did just as good as the English lads ! Now i start working for a small firm as sub contractor and all members are English and there very polite to me so am I to them ! and I dont get any less then others just £180 a day ! but this is temporary job as I am trying to generate my own jobs ! and I dont charge less then others ! combi combi -£600-£1200 for labour plus £100 on materials ! In fact i have lost many many jobs lately as i was to expansive !
CUSTOMERS HAVE EXPECTATION THAT FOREIGN WORKERS ARE ALWAYS CHEAP!!!!
no I stick to my prices (as this was one of the first thing i learned ) !

Cheers Bodd,
The leak is behind the tiles. 5 minutes with the shower hose running straight into a bucket and I discovered what half a dozen highly paid "main dealers" couldn't.
So, for the 4th time in 2 years it's strip the whole thing out, back to the plaster and start again. But who to go with? the certificated, 25 years experienced, established plumber - like the ones who've made such a brilliant job already, or the random Pole who charges a quarter of the price?
Yes, I get that there are bad tradesmen in every trade - I'm in IT and I see it all the time in that area (from the Millennium Bug scam to the online "maintenance" offers nowadays). Maybe I've got MUG written on my forehead or something, or this area of London (SE18) just doesn't have any decent plumbers, but TBH I'm sick of throwing money and time away for as bad a result as I could get myself with a DIY manual. Sure you can blame the Eastern Europeans for taking the work, but imho it's the supposedly kosher plumbers who I've experienced who've done such a bad job that give you all a bad name and tempt the average punter like me to go with the cheaper option.

Instead of getting a plumber to tile it why not look for a tiler?

@Blackcatgas - cheers for that tip.
@ Dannypipe - You may well be right. Never trust a plumber, because they see someone with no knowledge of plumbing and take advantage eh? thanks for that tip, but I've got the message now!
@ SafeGas - No offence intended. I was only echoing the sentiment of the OP, who believes he's got no work because eastern Europeans are cheaper. My contention is that more expensive doesn't always mean a better job.
@ Resolute - Thanks for the tip. My earlier posts indicate that a tiler was used. I'm actually looking for a cack-handed chimp now, since I think it would do a better job than the professionals I've used so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
In my experience, the way these things usually...
Replies
Views
Keep a diary recording the dates/times of when...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
Back