Why such long boiler waranties ?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why such long boiler waranties ?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle

As title says,why do boiler manufacturers now want to give such long warranties ?

A few years ago you could not force more than one year out of them,we pushed and pushed for 2 year warranties like rest of Europe for years and they would not budge,now they just seem to be offering longer and longer,I mention this ,as in another post ,someone mentions Alpha are throwing 7 year warranties at their new boiler now

Why? customers never pushed for it,or installers,it is not a really big selling point,ok once offered punter snap it up but if no one says owt,they are happy with a couple of years

I think customers actually take warranty length as a major selling point. It gives them peace of mind for 5 years, so if they were offered a boiler with 5 years and a boiler with 2, they would probably take the 5.

I think it started off with one of the manufacturers doing it and then probably through losing sales others followed. Now its become pretty standard, Vaillant only started offering 3 and 5 year warranty's about 6 months ago.

Its like the monthly service plans offered by major companies, a lot of customers know that it is expensive, but don't mind paying for it as it gives them peace of mind.

I think its probably going to change in the future though, with manufacturers offering 5 years parts and 2 years labour or something similar.

If you want to get one over on the competition ,you give free programmer,wireless stat,magna clean

Just seemed such a big jump,ok worcester started offering it but you cold explain that by the high cost of the product,you had a £500 boiler ,selling for £800/£900 ,this covered the warrantee ,easy to explain to customer but now we have the cheaper correctly priced boiler manufacturers offering the same or all boilers over priced now in real terms?

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about these warranties are they are worthless unless the benchmark is filled in at installation and the service log updated every year. Try finding a customer who understands that concept.

Competition

Beat me to it!!

Look how successful Skoda and Kia have become in the car world, from their warranties.

Same with everything.

I won't be offering these warranties though. Sometimes lucky if the parts I fit last 5 minutes before they require replacement.

i have 2 examples of 5 year warranties about 8 years ago i was only fitting ariston with the odd 105e,they brought out the aco he,the service engineer at the time warned me they are looking at any reason to back out of said warrentie after 3 years they tried to sell the customer a breakdown plan saying the installer had not registered the guarantee properly luckily i only fitted 3 acos they were heaps,i then went over totally to baxi and its 105e then moved on to the platinum as a top end boiler this too came with a 5 year warrentee the difference being it cost more than a duotec/heatmax but baxi did come out if needed and did not try to ***** everyone after 5 years however if they try to nick one more of my custards again when the warranty expires there will be ructions and i feel this is something we need to watch mis use of data by manufactures trying to poach work

If this was the usa manufactures would have to offer upto 10 year warrantys to sell anything . All power tool manufactures have given 3 to 5 years on there tools for donkeys years in the usa, in the uk makita still give a 1 year warranty. BMW offer a 10 year warranty in the usa but only 3 here on the Mini which is made in the same factory in the uk.

basically manufactures have to offer what customers are looking for/expect from the market.

i remember having a 3 year old bubble shaped rover 200 a few years back i was the second owner a bit of minor rust had developed in the boot,took it to a rover dealer in Swansea as it had a 7 year corrosion warranty cant do it they said you had it serviced by a independent garage last year so the warrentys void,so i rang rover directly they said ok it is covered under warranty if you get it re serviced at paramount swansea they wanted 400 pound to do a main service the independent had done the same thing a month before and charged 150 and had picked up on the rust they estimated it would cost 80 quid to put right

Vaillant now have a tick box for the installer on their Advance Guarantee forms, to say he does not wish the customer to receive any offers of servicing/breakdown cover from them. Maybe they are starting to listen?

they are offering the warranties because
1 generally boilers are more reiable now
2 they hope to pick up the servicing work

Marketing: Easier to sell a boiler with a five year warranty than one with two years.

Parts: So many manufacturers are now able to get the compononts manufactured in China (etc) at cheap prices while still fairly good quality, the price they sell parts at bear no resemblance to the prices they buy them at.

Terms and Conditions: How many of these guarantees really hold water when tested in the real world? Getting to the point where the installer can spend over an hour completing the paper work on an installation

In House after sales service: The manufacturer can now follow the product from the day of installation through to end of life, then if all went well they get the sale of the next boiler while all the time the bank accounts have a healthy turnover from the direct debits our customers are sending them every month for the "Gold Plan" service contract.

Many moons ago an American friend asked me how much does it cost to get my phone to ring? Honestly I hadn't a clue what he was talking about, he had observed my office phone could go unanswered for up to five rings.

Take all the cost of advertising (and it takes many forms) divide the number of calls for new business into the total and that new enquiry could be costing you as much as £25.00.

Now lose a customer, how much does it cost you to get a replacement? (agreed some we want to lose), if you have a system in place where you get to replace your own work when technology or age dictates it needs to be replaced you have a business that will survive most natural or man made disasters.

Problem for the small one man band is he rarely sees past this months bills and if he doesn't have family or partners to take over when his kness give up retirement may be the furthest we strive for.

The big manufacturer is constantly looking at cost and having thousands of employees are constantly having to evolve to the next level, that costs money so they get the most they possibly can from every sale, after sales cash is just a smarter way of getting more money for the same product.

At certain levels its all about cash turnover, first thing you need is get the customer, so how about those 25 year guarantees on installations? Subject to terms and conditions (naturally).

Last edited:
Another factor is that a lot of housebuilders are now offering 5 year warranties on all internal equipment. This means a lot of manufacturers are under pressure to offer 5 year warranties if they want to be a preferred supplier.

As title says,why do boiler manufacturers now want to give such long warranties ?

A few years ago you could not force more than one year out of them,we pushed and pushed for 2 year warranties like rest of Europe for years and they would not budge,now they just seem to be offering longer and longer,I mention this ,as in another post ,someone mentions Alpha are throwing 7 year warranties at their new boiler now

Why? customers never pushed for it,or installers,it is not a really big selling point,ok once offered punter snap it up but if no one says owt,they are happy with a couple of years

You dont think its a big selling point? To me a nice long warranty implies a lot of confidence in the product and no worries about repair bills for x number of years.

If you were comparing say vaillant and worcester, in similar prce brackets, or any two makes in a comparable price range, all things being equal, wouldnt you opt for the model with the longer guarantee?

You dont think its a big selling point? To me a nice long warranty implies a lot of confidence in the product and no worries about repair bills for x number of years.

If you were comparing say vaillant and worcester, in similar prce brackets, or any two makes in a comparable price range, all things being equal, wouldnt you opt for the model with the longer guarantee?

Worcester are the only manufacturer that offer a guarantee all others warranties i know where i would shop for a boiler.

The thing about these warranties are they are worthless unless the benchmark is filled in at installation and the service log updated every year. Try finding a customer who understands that concept.

the boiler doesnt know the paperwork wasn`t filled in.

Oh. And stop dragging up and commenting on old threads. They've been left alone for very good reasons.

Baxi started it off with the five year on the Platinum. Sales took off, and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You will need a check valve to stop reverse...
2 3
Replies
Views
The answer to this question really depends on...
2 3
Replies
Views
Baxi are solid.
Replies
Views
If the overheat thermostat has tripped, it...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the...
Replies
Views
Back