Advice on heating in a new build property | UK Plumbers Forums | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on heating in a new build property in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hey guys

looking for abit of advice on my heating system in a house I’ve just moved into. Last week I had to bleed a few radiators which I thought was normal but today I’ve had to go round bleeding them again and there was quite abit of air in them. How often should they need to be bleed? The down stairs toilet needed bleeding first time round but now it’s stone cold but doesnt need bleeding. What could be wrong with this? Also a few radiators are hot to touch but if I put my hand over the top it doesn’t feel like much heats coming off them and lastly for a new build property it’s costing anything from £4-6a day for gas and the heatings only on a few hours a day but doesn’t seem to reach temperature. For a new build property it seems abit excessive my old house was built In 1960ish and didn’t cost this much to run.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Do you have an unvented cylinder?
Do you time the hot water in times?
Do you use lots of hot water?

not sure if its unveneted or not. no the hot waters on constant as this was the advice from the plumber who came to fix a leak. he said its best to have it that way then you only heat up what you use rather than the whole tank. I wouldnt say we use loads of hot water. I have a shower every night. Misses has a bath probably 3 nights a week then shower the other nights and kids a bath every other night

Try timing the hot water for a week.
check the stat is at 60.
Check you don’t have water Dripping at the tundish.

just checked the stat and its slightly higher than the pre set point i think some one told me to change this in the past. What times would you recommend having the hot water on so it doesnt interfere with the heating? we generally use 90% of hot water between 6-9. The heatings set to come on 5:30-7:30 in the morning and 4:30-9 at night.

i checked the tundish and its seems dry

The boilers set at 80
[automerge]1581849044[/automerge]
Can any one recommend a btu calculator they trust and is accurate? I’ve been on the Stelrad and Plumbnation calculators but both give very different results

Last edited:
Just had a look at the mears calculator it looks quite complicated. I’ve wrote down all the measurements of the rooms from the floor plan of the house along with all the rads and btu outputs per room I just need a reliable calculator to work out what btu is needed

Just had a look at the mears calculator it looks quite complicated. I’ve wrote down all the measurements of the rooms from the floor plan of the house along with all the rads and btu outputs per room I just need a reliable calculator to work out what btu is needed
You will need to include outside walls, ceiling heights, windows and type as well. That’s why a mears calculator is the bees knees. Centralheatking

I’ve put all that in on both Stelrad and plumbnation calculators but get very different results
I have just put new heating system into one of my let’s so I know it’s adequate so did the sitting room on both the calculators you mention. The Plumbnation one is rubbish way too low, the stelrad is nearer the mark . I can use btu or kw but kw is easier to understand as it translates into 1 bar electric fires as a comparison. The stelrad one came up with 2.2kw I put in 3kw as I can always turn it down, always put in enough heat for very cold xmas day when the kids are up early and running around in pyjamas. That gaff has 3 bedrooms two bathrooms two reception ..kick space in kitchen rarely used.8 rads and 24 kw combi is just dandy. House comes up to heat real fast boiler rarely run above half unless it’s real cold. Centralheatking

just redone each room on the stelrad website which gave a few different results and then done the same on plumbnation but they havent got as many room types so just did what i could. Could you cast your eyes over it see if there about right before i show the builders

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 3.23.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 3.23.06 PM.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 36
I have just put new heating system into one of my let’s so I know it’s adequate so did the sitting room on both the calculators you mention. The Plumbnation one is rubbish way too low, the stelrad is nearer the mark . I can use btu or kw but kw is easier to understand as it translates into 1 bar electric fires as a comparison. The stelrad one came up with 2.2kw I put in 3kw as I can always turn it down, always put in enough heat for very cold xmas day when the kids are up early and running around in pyjamas. That gaff has 3 bedrooms two bathrooms two reception ..kick space in kitchen rarely used.8 rads and 24 kw combi is just dandy. House comes up to heat real fast boiler rarely run above half unless it’s real cold. Centralheatking
2 bathrooms and a 24kw combi ?????

Mr combi one isnt far off a mears Calc and the one I use for mine

but don’t be surprised as it’s a new build they’ve just shoved a heat pack in x amount of rads and no heatloss calcs done hence them not wanting to talk / send you there’s

bring your boiler temp down to around 65dc

Just downloaded the mr combi app (think that’s the right one) put in a few rooms I think I’ve done it right and the figures are coming back higher than both Stelrad and plumbnation results

thats the ones I would work off then

now find the manufacturer of your rads and look up the outputs

Ive done that already if you look at the spreadsheet picture I posted a few posts up it’s all on there. Mr combi app doesn’t list all the rooms that the Stelrad one does so not sure when choosing kitchen/dinner, wc, ensuites and landing areas

Ive done that already if you look at the spreadsheet picture I posted a few posts up it’s all on there. Mr combi app doesn’t list all the rooms that the Stelrad one does so not sure when choosing kitchen/dinner, wc, ensuites and landing areas

so which one your struggling on ?

Slacky this post has gone on for quite somtime now and i think the conclusion is your boiler and rads are undersized the only way to improve your situation is get a decent engineer in to upsize some of the radiators this may help but you may also find the boiler may also need looking at , it should not happen in a new build property but in reality it often does as the developers squeeze the heating contractor on price , you will carry on going round in circles getting nowhere and before you know it another 6 weeks will have gone by sit down write a list of things your not happy about and address each point . Regards kop

Downstairs wc, kitchen/diner, both ensuites and 1st and 2nd landing areas. The Stelrad didn’t have an option for ensuites but it covered everything else

bathroom for wc
Kitchen / diner both are in the mr combi app
Landing use entrance / halls

I know it’s gone on far to long that’s why I’m trying to get right size btu for each room so I’ve got abit of evidence that what they’ve installed isn’t good enough. There’s a lot of contrasting information on the internet regarding the btu needed for different rooms that’s why I’ve asked here as you guy do it day in day out I thought you would be the best people to advise. I don’t see why I should be paying anything to get the rads upgraded or boiler looked at when I’m paying a lot of money for the house
[automerge]1581884275[/automerge]
I take it when it asked for external wall I put the lengths of both walls added together? And ensuites as bathrooms?

Last edited:
I know it’s gone on far to long that’s why I’m trying to get right size btu for each room so I’ve got abit of evidence that what they’ve installed isn’t good enough. There’s a lot of contrasting information on the internet regarding the btu needed for different rooms that’s why I’ve asked here as you guy do it day in day out I thought you would be the best people to advise. I don’t see why I should be paying anything to get the rads upgraded or boiler looked at when I’m paying a lot of money for the house
[automerge]1581884275[/automerge]
I take it when it asked for external wall I put the lengths of both walls added together? And ensuites as bathrooms?

correct total outside wall length and correct

Similar plumbing topics

R
  • Question
No it won't be why the boiler is on all day...
2 3
Replies
Views
  • Question
ok thank you
Replies
Views
  • Question
If I understand you correctly, you have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes you can. G3 is only with regards to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm a bit late but this is how I 'balance' a...
Replies
Views
Back