Anyone here worked for Dyno Rod? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Anyone here worked for Dyno Rod? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

tsg were like that paranoid about h and e if it was an easy fix but couldnt in ten months get the hands free working in a brand new van as there was never time to be of the roadash i think you need to take a new job even if its not exactly what you want ,your obviously not happy where you are and theres always another job, sometimes you need to just do it

I had an interview and got offered a job with TSG a back in January. I just didn't get a good vibe from them, i was going to be covering the South East and expected to do 14 jobs a day, i don't care who you are 14 jobs a day are not getting done - not to any decent standard anyway. One of the lads even called me and said no one does 14 jobs but 10-12 - that's still a lot, and if it's immersion changes etc it's not happening. Not when you factor in time to go and get parts in between too. The guy who interviewed me seemed nice enough, i didn't do great on the test and he still wanted to give me the job but the blokes sounded snowed under with little support.

How did it go with your boss ?

He was understanding. He doesn't want me to leave, i think i work hard and i think he knows that. Sometimes i mess up by not having the right stuff on the van and sometimes waste time getting parts, sometimes have messed up causing problems. I need to calm down and just focus on the job at hand instead of flapping because i have another load to get through.

He's a really nice bloke and I am grateful for the chance he has given me and I said that and i said i hope he doesn't think i'm being disloyal. He said is it the money and i said no - the new job is better pay but that's not my main reason for leaving. I said to him i need to become a good plumber and doing it day in day out I know I can be. It's strange, at the minute i'm doing a wide variety of work, whether it's minor electrical work, helping to fit bathrooms/kitchens, plumbing, gas work, the occasional boiler change. So I can't ever say i'm bored but i need to get my teeth in to something and become excellent at it. It will do my confidence the world of good, once i am good at plumbing to the standard he is then i would be happy to do this sort of job. It's the ideal job for someone who has lots of experience, it would be easy for them but i don't feel i'm ever going to get really good at any one thing.

I have learnt a lot and i will always be grateful for it, one day I could see myself back there but i need to do this. It's a low pressure job just needs running differently and i feel bad for my boss because he has a lot on his plate. He has had a bad time in his personal life lately too with the death of his dad which makes me feel even worse but I think if i stay there i'm going to be in exactly the same position in 12 months time.

I'm rambling.

He asked me what can be done to make things better for me and i couldn't answer him, he said would it be better if i was just doing the plumbing and not the other stuff but i said no because i know that stuff needs to be done and if i'm the only bloke available to do it then i'm happy to do it. I don't think there's loads of money in the pot and I know he doesn't take home rock star wages either so it's not like he's taking the mickey. We have 3 other guys who don't bring in any money for the most part but they still get paid,. I find this madness and I think he does too but 2 of them are friends of his father in law who i think gets the final say.

If he was running things differently and wanted to get me trained up on breakdowns by working alongside himself or another engineer I would stay but he isn't in the position to do that and it's unrealistic.

Anyway I feel really bad because it's not the best time to be leaving and i do enjoy working there even though i get more stressed and annoyed than i should but i have to think what's best long term.

Ash unfortunately it's dog eat dog pal. You need to work to support your family and saying you're going to be working for a few years to come you need to be as happy as possible in your role. It's your happiness that affect your home life and your family. I'm afraid that's the way of the world mate. It's number 1 time.

I had an interview and got offered a job with TSG a back in January. I just didn't get a good vibe from them, i was going to be covering the South East and expected to do 14 jobs a day, i don't care who you are 14 jobs a day are not getting done - not to any decent standard anyway. One of the lads even called me and said no one does 14 jobs but 10-12 - that's still a lot, and if it's immersion changes etc it's not happening. Not when you factor in time to go and get parts in between too. The guy who interviewed me seemed nice enough, i didn't do great on the test and he still wanted to give me the job but the blokes sounded snowed under with little support.

My record at dyno was 23 jobs in 1 day! Lol
With regards to parts, you all get a van stock and then have to go to your office 1 day a week to restock your van. Just be careful mate the more you do the more they'll want, always make time for you andyour family. All the best anyway. 90% of the work is a complete doddle, ball valves etc. if you're working on the bonus scheme I was then it's easy to raise second jobs to hit your bonus much quicker etc

I start Monday, a bit nervous but i'm going in with confidence and enthusiasm. I'm off today, cleared the work van ready to give back.

About to go and pick up new tools etc that i have either lost or need to replace.

Thanks for all the comments I really appreciate it. I want to get the first couple of weeks out the way and settle in so i can relax.

I will be getting the train up there on Monday morning and been told i'll be driving the new van home.

Good to hear you getting sorted and for the update....don`t be a stranger to the forum`s mate always`s enjoyed reading your post`s I have the feeling you will do well in your new job ....regards Turnpin:smile5:

Been with the company for four weeks now.

Really enjoying it, a lot of driving some days but got to take the rough with the smooth. I have my jobs sent to my phone and i can get on with them, there's always communications between me and my despatcher and she is nice, she says i'm doing well.

Some days i get lots of work done, some days not so much but every job is different. Wouldn't say i have had lots of nightmare jobs but i have had a couple.

Have had calls to the office from customers praising me and my manager has called me a couple of times to say well done and he said he's happy with me the office staff seem ok with me too.

Passed the BG assessment too which i was pleased about, wouldn't say it was easy but it wasn't really hard either. The lad who did it with me failed, he probably has a lot more experience in the trade than me so that gave me a lot of confidence.

I'm enjoying it, been doing the over time too to bump my money up.

Was on call out last weekend, wasn't too bad, it's the driving to the jobs which makes it tiring.

The fact it's well run and i can just get on with the work makes my life less stressful. It's a world apart from what i'm used to. My gf has said how much happier i seem. I'm doing a lot more hours but not blowing my own trumpet i am a hard worker. At my last place i was coming in so fed up, working late for no extra money having the mickey taken out of me while the labourers/painters minced about and i was only on a little bit more money. It wasn't my business what they earn but why should i be getting messed around, constantly exhausted and hardly finish work on time just because i have a trade and my work brings in the most money.

So far, so good and very happy i took the job.

Last edited:
Only just seen this thread - Is it the Dyno lot in Beckenham mate? Seems they have changed there tune! I worked for them for 4 or 5 years and by the end I hated it. Mind you I left them 2 and a half years ago so plenty has obviously changed in that time!

My word of warning, is don't get too matey with the office staff and watch what you say to people. There is always someone prepared to stab you in the back for something. Best bet is, don't argue back with them and speak when spoken to! That was my experience anyway... I do tend to pipe up a lot more than I should do! Lol.

Is Mark still the manager? Watch that sly little rat. He wouldn't pee on you, if you was on fire mate! If you want anymore advice I won't bang on in public too much so PM me fella.

All the best. Hope it works out for you.

Similar plumbing topics

I have been offered an interview with the...
Replies
Views
Come on pal , you should have painted the...
Replies
Views
C
Well if that happens, I'll dig up replace...
Replies
Views
cammy0102
C
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back