can your vans cope with snow ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 3 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Billy Bob Bob
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 791

Discuss can your vans cope with snow ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
when driving on snow and you have to stop , when you want to take of DO NOT hit accelerator ...... put in to first gear and slowly release clutch

when slowing down on snow dont hit brakes hard , go one gear lower and as you release clutch gently press breaks (this is how I have been train to drive and on my van that is 5 years old had just one set of new pads and van has done 63k now )

or engage difflock as well if you have it

not sure how that works so , I can not comment . But audi has done the best ever 4x4 Quattro and I have watched a lot of videos with audi Quattro on snow going up hill or going down hill . Its all to do with the correct amount of torque sent to front or back of car and how the weight is balanced ,
However audi is part of VW group but VW vans 4x4 dont have this Quattro system , but some cheap version of it

Oh god it's that time of year again. If there's more than 3 snow flakes I'm staying at home. Health and safety!

not sure how that works so , I can not comment . But audi has done the best ever 4x4 Quattro and I have watched a lot of videos with audi Quattro on snow going up hill or going down hill . Its all to do with the correct amount of torque sent to front or back of car and how the weight is balanced ,
However audi is part of VW group but VW vans 4x4 dont have this Quattro system , but some cheap version of it
locks the axles stops wheels slipping

To turn a corner quickly in the snow, flick the steering wheel and pull the handbrake. That's how I do it anyway.

Lots of older landowners in Wiltshire used to run a subaru 'justy' a 4x4 hatchback - these little
monster would go anywhere and when they did not they were light enough to be easily
pulled out of the ditch with a light tractor or l/rover centralheatking

To turn a corner quickly in the snow, flick the steering wheel and pull the handbrake. That's how I do it anyway.

First snow after I passed my test I went down to the industrial estate one weekend and spent an hour in a big car park finding out what to do and what not to do.

locks the axles stops wheels slipping

not true really, as all a diff lock does is lock the drives together, the wheels can still slip and skid quite happily, and your turning circle increases as well. Best option now is to push in that little button for snow/ice down hill, then a clever lickle computer does it all for you. You just drive on the throttle and leave those braokes alone :), or dont the old defenders have that lickle button?

What most numpties fail to realise is that 4x4 will get you going ok, its the stopping thats the problem!

My Combo cant even cope in the wet, I'm dreading the single snowflake that comes down and makes it undriveable.

On the subject of vans....when I start mine in a morning (diesel) I seem to get and abnormal amount of blue smoke out the back...I know blue smoke means its burning oil? This is onlt when I start it, it goes to normal soon after. :prrr:

Its only done 54K and gets oil + filter changed every year.

I'll worry about it when it comes, the forecasters couldn't predict the weather to save their lives :)

My Combo cant even cope in the wet, I'm dreading the single snowflake that comes down and makes it undriveable.

On the subject of vans....when I start mine in a morning (diesel) I seem to get and abnormal amount of blue smoke out the back...I know blue smoke means its burning oil? This is onlt when I start it, it goes to normal soon after. :prrr:

Its only done 54K and gets oil + filter changed every year.
worn valve stem oil seals

worn valve stem oil seals

Is that bad or can I bury my head in the sand a bit longer? I'd rather spend the money on snow tyres. Does worn valve seals mean higher fuel consumption? I've noticed I don't seem to get as far for £27 these days.

Don't try this in a land rover, you'll end up with bits of gearbox all over the road. The handbrake is on the rear prop and locks the transmission. Stop that abruptly and you'll know all about it.

Don't try this in a land rover, you'll end up with bits of gearbox all over the road. The handbrake is on the rear prop and locks the transmission. Stop that abruptly and you'll know all about it.

Interesting....is this the same with the plastic Landrovers (Freelanders) I must worn my dad not to yank up mid motion.

Is that bad or can I bury my head in the sand a bit longer? I'd rather spend the money on snow tyres. Does worn valve seals mean higher fuel consumption? I've noticed I don't seem to get as far for £27 these days.
wont cause it to use more fuel just more oil,and it will go on for ages like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It just goes to show how useless they really...
Replies
Views
Back