Cheapest Combinaton boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cheapest Combinaton boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bodd

What is theCheapest Combinaton boiler on the market?

I try to tell customers that a a good boiler well fitted that incorperates a magnetic filter system and a good inhibitor installed will last far longer than a cheap boiler that is chucked in.

Some listen some don't.

So I'm thinking of when pricing giving a an itemised estimate.
Good boiler
Rubbish boiler
Power flush or no power flush
Manetic filter or not
Scale reducer or leave it out
Inhibitor.

At lest then they can see why I'm a million £ more than the next fella

Because of the Band B boilers days being numberd,the days of £500 boilers will soon be over (for now?), the difference in price between a rubbish Band A boiler and a Good Band A boiler isnt that great any way anymore.

What is theCheapest Combinaton boiler on the market?

I try to tell customers that a a good boiler well fitted that incorperates a magnetic filter system and a good inhibitor installed will last far longer than a cheap boiler that is chucked in.

Some listen some don't.

So I'm thinking of when pricing giving a an itemised estimate.
Good boiler
Rubbish boiler
Power flush or no power flush
Manetic filter or not
Scale reducer or leave it out
Inhibitor.

At lest then they can see why I'm a million £ more than the next fella

i get it to Bodd,
give them price for proper staff and then not get the job .....customers all then want is to get it done on cheap

i tell all my tight customers that their mentality is wrong, why would you want to put cheap rubbish in your home and expect it to last 15 years? buy cheap you get cheap i say.

i tell all my tight customers that their mentality is wrong, why would you want to put cheap rubbish in your home and expect it to last 15 years? buy cheap you get cheap i say.

same here ,and then they say quote for good one ....then next plumber after me quotes on a cheap one and gets the job

Some people just want the cheapest. we have a lot of landlords around our area and they will only have the cheapest.

last one i had ,went to fit gas hob !old one was 15 years old start coming apart ....installed new one then they ask for system upgrade ! they had floor standing boiler about 15-20years old and they ask for new system boiler with mega-flow !new mains new ,boiler new location vertical flue and new rads ! total cost come up to 5k .
Then they say ohh we don't have that much to spend ,then give them a cheaper option like 3.5k ! ohhh this is to much ...
Then i give them option to have just combi just under 3k ...
Ohh we have to really look in to our budget ......
Then can you not power flush ....
can you not leave the old rads.....
can you not fit a filter ....
can you not fit a limemaster...
why do you have to change rad valves ......

On the end i just told the customer please make your decision on what i have already itemised on my quote and get back to me !
i think is been 20 days now no sign of them .....thanks god
I think if i did get job would have been hell working in there house ...big house but customer not spending on maintains
so really time waisted . for every quote it does take me about 2-3h to do it

i always tell people you get what you pay for, but i also quote for 2 diferent boilers, cheap one and dearer one, with magnetic filter as optional also.

my question is have quotes always been free ? or is this just a new thing ?

I wouldn't be able to get away with charging for a quote,I think that's just part of being self-employed,one of the many unpaid jobs we have to do.

I don't give much information on a quote though,I've been caught with that before. A basic description of the work and a price.All the rad sizes etc,stay in my book until I've got the job.

i always tell people you get what you pay for, but i also quote for 2 diferent boilers, cheap one and dearer one, with magnetic filter as optional also.

customers are taking advantage from us ,when we offer them free quotes !

and one day when we all start charging for it then we will be getting probable more then 70% of what we quote imho

we should only be giving rough estimates on the job, then if they want it, pricing it up correctly imho because it is time consuming

i know ....many times I give rough idea and then they are like please give us a quote then never hear from them

i know ....many times I give rough idea and then they are like please give us a quote then never hear from them..

but if i charge them £100-£150 for the quote they will be more aware that this is time consuming for us

and it is cost affective to us

Last edited:
you woulnt expect a quantity surveyor to do this type of stuff for free so why do we ? I know QS is much more complicated and time consuming but it still is pretty much the same thing pricing for a job

Hi can get Arated boilers at less than £500 now, look at the Ideal Logic, its less tha £500
Because of the Band B boilers days being numberd,the days of £500 boilers will soon be over (for now?), the difference in price between a rubbish Band A boiler and a Good Band A boiler isnt that great any way anymore.

This is what I will do in future. Price for the instalation including sundrys and basic materials.
Then Itemise
Rubbish boiler £300
Good Boiler £1000
Magnet £ 85
Powerflush £ 250

I'll explain why you need a PF and a magnet and that not having them could invalidate the warranty. Problem is I like to put 20% on materials if I start itemising it will be hard to do so.

If they're hunting for prices like that then it's not worth the hassle anyway.Tell 'em to jog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Its easy to check for a leak, just tie up the...
Replies
Views
The Orion is about 65% efficient so not great...
Replies
Views
J
All boilers will need parts replacing...
Replies
Views
7 years without use is not good I wouldn't...
Replies
Views
B
To expand slightly on @John.g's answer, many...
Replies
Views
Back