Electric combi boiler for underfloor heating and rads - off the grid | Boilers | Page 4 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Electric combi boiler for underfloor heating and rads - off the grid in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the space you CAN for sure bury LPG or oil tanks. I have no space. Trust me i checked every possible approach.

Msc and and RHI and greendeal are brilliant and totally the future. Makes brilliant financial sense. But i cant afford the upfront whack of 10k.

Electric Boiler with internal storage or electric boiler with direct cylinder. Thats the choice i need to make

Walls are 600mm solid stone. Government will tell you its poorly insulated. But thermal mass must count for something. 500mm in the loft. 50mm celotex on floor. Double glazing. Sounds alright to me but won't know til next winter when i live there properly.

75mm minimum under floor, build regs. I have solid walls they bleed heat, had thermal image taken, am in process of dry lining wit h 75mm. One room at a time. Best way to spend money is to conserve heat if you can
Also putting new DG windows in. Old ones not efficient and have triple glazed velux windows and 150mm celotex in roof

Last edited:
Celotex do a new under floor insulation that goes
to 50mm. Hope thats gonna be ok.

600mm wall bleeding heat? I'd like to see it! How hot must the inside wall be in order for the outside wall to lose heat? Its stone and cob. I am just wondering about going for a combined electric boiler and store.. Or going for an electric boiler and direct cylinder. Thoughts on that would really help!

Electric boiler with internal storage or with direct cylinder makes no difference give it a couple of months and you won't be able to afford to run either,

It will cost you a fortune to heat your place best thing you can do is insulate as much as you can and get a wood burning stove

The higher the internal temperature to the external, the faster and greater the heat loss

Got a couple of those already.
Off peak heating of the cylinder must be affordable. And the underfloor and large rads need a lower than usual temperature, so i would have it would be ok...?

image.jpg

Six of these and an electric blanket. Oh and a big kettle.

Celotex do a new under floor insulation that goes
to 50mm. Hope thats gonna be ok.

600mm wall bleeding heat? I'd like to see it! How hot must the inside wall be in order for the outside wall to lose heat? Its stone and cob. I am just wondering about going for a combined electric boiler and store.. Or going for an electric boiler and direct cylinder. Thoughts on that would really help!

600mm walls are terrible for heat loss
Not being funny mate but you do seem to be coming across as a know all
Your house is not well insulated so whatever heating you put in is not going to be efficient in the slightest

not coming across as a know it all from what I have read, more of a ......................end. What you need to do is listen to someone who actually knows their stuff local to you, go to a large well established firm and be prepared to spend some money to get things rght

Thats just lame, lame plumb. No-one can agree. Half of the peeps i speak with tell me its going to be cosy. Half say not. Big thick walls... Cob. Straw and mud. You know the best insulator seems to be bales of straw? Dont want to be a know it all, just sharing my experience. People living in these buildings in the village cant even agree. Some are warm. Some cold. Does me bloody head in. Everyone has garden space for a tank except me and me neighbour who live alone in a one bed shoebox and fuels it with 47kg calor bottles for about £150 a month!

lovely and warm on a sunny day yes.the black slate roof gets especially warm, i was thinking of putting ducting in the roof ridge to collect hot air and take it back downstairs. Also thinking of hanging more slate on the side of house and running pipe in between slate and house wall, to capture more heat and warm the water that way. not an end solution, but a little help on a sunny day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Do I switch off Electric Hot Heater Cylinder...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Are you controlling the stove flow temperature...
Replies
Views
D
I have fitted gear from EHC and was pretty...
Replies
Views
A
Living in the country, then why not oil...
Replies
Views
Back