Excessive Pump Overrun | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Excessive Pump Overrun in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 107929

Hi,

I've been searching for a while for an answer to this. Had heating engineer out today to look at the boiler. Problem is that the pump is coming on at 2AM, 4AM, all hours. The rads upstairs have their valves open only a little so the water's quite audible. Apparently, this is the overrun from the preheat. The strange thing is that it's pumping for 30-40 minutes. The engineer's solution was to turn off the preheat, which hopefully will stop us waking up in the night (there's clanging too, but that's another story). Obviously, that means water's taking longer to heat up - not a massive problem - but if someone gets up in the night and runs the hot water, the pump stays on for ages.

Any ideas?

Boiler's an Ideal Instinct 30. Three years old, serviced every year.

Incidentally, the clanging has gotten worse recently. The engineer said it was rubbing pipes, but I'm curious as to what else it could be. Air in the system?

I’m pretty sure I know the fault, but as you’re not gas safe... I’m not allowed to tell, or the powers at be,will tan me good n proper.

Sorry

I’m pretty sure I know the fault, but as you’re not gas safe... I’m not allowed to tell, or the powers at be will tan me good n proper.

Sorry
It’s true

27C2F0C7-517D-4504-A5F1-E25BEB43E819.jpeg

That's fine Bogrodder, thanks. I just wanted verification that there is a fault really. I've got a Corgi homecare thingy, so if I suspect that the engineer who came tonight might not have been entirely diligent then I'd feel justified in asking for a second opinion.

That's fine Bogrodder, thanks. I just wanted verification that there is a fault really. I've got a Corgi homecare thingy, so if I suspect that the engineer who came tonight might not have been entirely diligent then I'd feel justified in asking for a second opinion.

Can I ask why you don’t turn off the preheat?

Happy to turn it off, it just seems to mask the problem as the water flow is loud in bedroom. Lying in bed now and the pump's still going - been 90 mins since last switched HW on.

Similar plumbing topics

Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
I hope after 6 months he’s got it sorted 😳
2 3 4 5 6
Replies
Views
Not sure what you mean in the above, in WC...
Replies
Views
I just repeated this test. This time I got a...
Replies
Views
Back