Flexis to pipe up bath | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Flexis to pipe up bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
i still dont fit flexis to single taps as they will come loose in the basin,sink bath whatever

1284546349-06927800.jpg

insurers in Oz are going against flexis fm what I hear fm family over there, seems that the flood damage to my sisters place only just got paid out by insurers, she now has a note on her insurance docs stating damage due to flexi fittings is not covered! we will go the same way idc once they see the damage they can do when they fail :)

If that is the case every house built over the past 10 years wont be covered in Western Australia,cannot do as much damage as overhere the majority of builds there are one storey,concrete slab and the bathrooms have a tiled floor with a floor gulley fitted,Aus plumbers wont go back to the dark days of brazing under basin cabinets

Fairplay, that's the biggest load of tosh i've read on here for a while. Having a superiority complex over your non-use of flexible hoses is borderline madness.

There is nothing wrong with using flexible hoses on bath taps.

As the above comment is your opinion it cannot be wrong, however the comment you are commenting on is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, it honestly isn't a "superiority complex" it is a simple statement about my long learned plumbing skills, there isn't a place you can fit a flexi that I can't fit a pipe, I've heard too many horror stories about them failing and having "like a pound of mince" as we say up here, I prefer pipes to flexis, I don't have a problem with properly fitted plastic where it is beneficial but I just don't like doing things the lazy way, as I've been taught to do them properly, if that comes across as arrogant it isn't meant to,

This is an attitude that I really, really don't like. Yeah, great, you can plumb a bath in using copper but when it comes to replacing the taps or fixing a leak, what then? Yes, that's right, you have to remove the bath and the tiling around it.

This attitude is all about ego and not about doing the best job you can. There is no excuse for plumbing something in that is then nigh on impossible to work on without uninstalling it first. I see no difference to this and the people who see nothing wrong with installing concealed showers with no thought to future repairs or replacement.

I know this is not an opinion shared by many but it really gets to me. As far as I'm concerned part of being a professional plumber is not just trying to make sure you install baths, showers etc. to work perfectly but to also ensure they can be worked on in the future, too.

Use the correct tool for the job.

If we fit two baths, both with taps on the long side at the back, which I don't like for the reasons you stated, what's the difference to the guy coming to fix them if one is hard piped and one is done with flexis? There is still the issue with access and I firmly believe there is more chance of the one done with flexis leaking before the one in copper and end feed fittings, it isn't about my ego it's about my professional integrity and my endeavour to do the job to the best of my ability

What is the benefit in fitting a flexi over a pipe? It is more likely to fail, and reduces the flow to the tap

If that is the case every house built over the past 10 years wont be covered in Western Australia,cannot do as much damage as overhere the majority of builds there are one storey,concrete slab and the bathrooms have a tiled floor with a floor gulley fitted,Aus plumbers wont go back to the dark days of brazing under basin cabinets

$48000 worth of damage fm 1 flexi....................

funny thing I note is that they dont teach anyone how to pipe up baths and basins at college using flexis, must be a reason for that!

funny thing I note is that they dont teach anyone how to pipe up baths and basins at college using flexis, must be a reason for that!

There isn't any point in teaching apprentices to fit flexis there's no skill or effort required it is simply the easy option

Under no circumstance will I fit a flexi under a bath. For a start, I have seen the damage they can cause over time, especially the hot side of it. If I quote for a bath tap replacement, then on removing the panel, find that the current taps are fitted with flexi, I curse my luck and redo in copper pipe but just foot the extra labour cost. In some cases, I tell the customer in advance that if I find flexis are fitted, I will charge extra to replace.
Even when I am fitting monobloc taps that come with flexis, I replace the tails with copper ones most of the time.

photo (1).JPG the image you see, is a bath tap fitted in Battersea, using a flexi on a gravity system fed from a CWSC. Not surprisingly, the cold tap takes for ever to fill. Now, if a copper pipe had been used, it would have leaked like HELL and flooded the flat below. So why not use a flexi? What a joke

Flexi all the time. How long do you want to be lying on your back fluffing around!

are all thease ''anti flexi'' plumbers still wearing bib and brace overalls,eating tallow sandwhiches,and bragging about the last joint they wiped...

can i start a FLEXI APPRECIATION SOCIETY

Under no circumstance will I fit a flexi under a bath. For a start, I have seen the damage they can cause over time, especially the hot side of it. If I quote for a bath tap replacement, then on removing the panel, find that the current taps are fitted with flexi, I curse my luck and redo in copper pipe but just foot the extra labour cost. In some cases, I tell the customer in advance that if I find flexis are fitted, I will charge extra to replace.
Even when I am fitting monobloc taps that come with flexis, I replace the tails with copper ones most of the time.

View attachment 16052 the image you see, is a bath tap fitted in Battersea, using a flexi on a gravity system fed from a CWSC. Not surprisingly, the cold tap takes for ever to fill. Now, if a copper pipe had been used, it would have leaked like HELL and flooded the flat below. So why not use a flexi? What a joke

if a crap plumber cannot fit a flexi they have no hope in copper,good plumbers fit flexi's properly no tension or kinks and have few problems .

it isn't about my ego it's about my professional integrity and my endeavour to do the job to the best of my ability

And yet you've limited the material options for absolutely no reason, instantly reducing the different options for installation. I can't count the number of times a simple job has been an utter nightmare because someone has fitted a shower or bath with no thought for future repairs or replacement.

Sorry, but closing your mind to all the different options open to the professional plumber makes absolutely no sense. I very rarely use braided hosing, but only because it's not the right tool for that job.

View attachment 16052 the image you see, is a bath tap fitted in Battersea, using a flexi on a gravity system fed from a CWSC. Not surprisingly, the cold tap takes for ever to fill. Now, if a copper pipe had been used, it would have leaked like HELL and flooded the flat below. So why not use a flexi? What a joke

So, you don't use anything that can potentially be fitted by an idiot? Is the problem with the install in that image caused by the component used or the dribbling idiot that fitted it?

Usually when a flexi fails it's because it's fitted wrong. That's not the fault of the flexi. I fit whatever comes in the box, or in copper if nothing is supplied because I don't think it makes much difference, unless flow is an issue, in which case you clearly don't use them.
If you do it right, it wont leak. The things are everywhere, boilers have them in. Do we all need to go around re piping the insides system and combi boilers? I don't think so.

inherently flexible pipes will fail, they are made of rubber which will perish long before copper and steel and although the fitter may no longer be trading when it fails, I feel that we should be using something designed to last the course of the building. thats the difference between tradesmen and diy in my opinion and as a tradesman I like to think my work will outlive me.

Usually when a flexi fails it's because it's fitted wrong. That's not the fault of the flexi. I fit whatever comes in the box, or in copper if nothing is supplied because I don't think it makes much difference, unless flow is an issue, in which case you clearly don't use them.
If you do it right, it wont leak. The things are everywhere, boilers have them in. Do we all need to go around re piping the insides system and combi boilers? I don't think so.

Is there a boiler on the market that is built to last?

do you take any flexis out of the inside of any boilers or appliances then? I reckon those flexis will last just as long as the taps they come with.

boilers seem to have a 7 -8 year design life, copper pipework designed for life, simplees

Usually when a flexi fails it's because it's fitted wrong. That's not the fault of the flexi.

The things are everywhere, boilers have them in. Do we all need to go around re piping the insides system and combi boilers? I don't think so.

not true. why do you think taps with washers are almost always rewashered? And the rubber/material content of tap washers is far more durable than the rubber hoses in braided flexi pipes. The hot tap fitted with braided flexi hose will always certainly fail. It is not whether it will fail. It is when? The cold may last longer, but eventually, it will fail, FACT

As for boilers, what is the average life span of a modern boiler? Bearing that in mind, is it any wonder some boiler manufacturers find the ''need'' to use them? Fit a copper pipe with soldered joints and walk away, job done.

Is there a boiler on the market that is built to last?

Fair point. But I bet no one removes them, in fact it's probably a warranty issue if you did. So there's no point pretending that we're not using them. We all do.

It is a shame to fit flexis on an all copper plumbing system. You are just putting a weak spot on a plumbing system simply because you want to save 2 or 3 minutes (that's all it should take to bend copper), or because you are not capable of fitting copper pipes.
If you want to use flexis you might as well let the diy person do the job as it is so easy & remember that the customer that looks at what you have done with flexis will correctly assume that they could have done it themselves.

not true. why do you think taps with washers are almost always rewashered? And the rubber/material content of tap washers is far more durable than the rubber hoses in braided flexi pipes. The hot tap fitted with braided flexi hose will always certainly fail. It is not whether it will fail. It is when? The cold may last longer, but eventually, it will fail, FACT

As for boilers, what is the average life span of a modern boiler? Bearing that in mind, is it any wonder some boiler manufacturers find the ''need'' to use them? Fit a copper pipe with soldered joints and walk away, job done.

if that's true then were all going to be very busy plumbers for a long time. Because that's a lot of hot taps that are definitely going to fail. As i said I use whatever's in the box and happily use copper. But the idea that flexis are all going to fail doesn't stack up imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
I wasn't aware that Nerrad tools were...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's the problem I have been having, trying...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yup and undersized flow/returns/heat emitters...
Replies
Views
Back