fused spurs | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss fused spurs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Interested to know where you guys take you fused spurs from and how do you size the cable/fuse at the board to it?

if you need to ask and you arnt part p reg you shouldn't be doing it from the board

If there is a ring main close by I would take the spur from the ring main, the cable should be the same size as the ring main I.e. 2.5 mm t&e, the ring main protective device would suffice, and then the spur should be fused to protect the appliance as required.
Should I have to go back to the board for a new circuit then again 2.5 mm t&e, protective device for this would be 16amp then again fused at the spur to protect the appliance.

Last edited:
If there is a ring main close by I would take the spur from the ring main, the cable should be the same size as the ring main I.e. 2.5 mm t&e, the ring main protective device would suffice, and then the spur should be fused to protect the appliance as required.
Should I have to go back to the board for a new circuit then again 2.5 mm t&e, protective device for this would be 16amp then again fused at the spur to protect the appliance.

it might not be 16amp maybe 32 amp depends on what type of main they have used

If you read the text you will see that the 16 amp is to protect 2.5mm t&e, 32amp is to big to protect 2.5mm as a single circuit.

If you read the text you will see that the 16 amp is to protect 2.5mm t&e, 32amp is to big to protect 2.5mm as a single circuit.

depends on what circuit type it is ;)

That was why I asked the question. 2.5mm from the board on a 15amp 3036 rewireable fuse to the immersion. Then a 1.5mm from the spur to the boiler with a 3 amp fuse at the spur. Just thought the 15amp at the board should be changed to a 6amp. Wasn't sure with the 2.5mm t+e.

Last edited:
He's not converting a radial into a ring he was asking where we take a spur from, and how we size the cable,

That was why I asked the question. 2.5mm from the board on a 15amp 3036 rewireable fuse to the immersion. Then a 1.5mm from the spur to the boiler with a 3 amp fuse at the spur. Just thought the 15amp at the board should be changed to a 6amp.

quick question does it need rcd protection and whats the bonding like 4mm on water ;)

He's not converting a radial into a ring he was asking where we take a spur from, and how we size the cable,

no but you need to know what your spuring from else you might overload a circuit

and that link was for you as you said 32 amp was too big for 2.5mm

So the 15amp at the board will protect the 2.5mm and the 3amp will protest the 1.5mm from the spur.

As a single circuit, I.e. From the board to the appliance (not a ring main) then the maximum current carrying capacity of 2.5 mm t&e is 27amps when ref.method C is used, a 32amp breaker would therefore be too big.

So the 15amp at the board will protect the 2.5mm and the 3amp will protest the 1.5mm from the spur.

No, the 15amp protects the circuit the 3amp protects the appliance fitted, in this case the boiler

As a single circuit, I.e. From the board to the appliance (not a ring main) then the maximum current carrying capacity of 2.5 mm t&e is 27amps when ref.method C is used, a 32amp breaker would therefore be too big.

yes but he didnt say what type it was and you suggested it was a ring post 5 and my post refers to yours

No, the 15amp protects the circuit the 3amp protects the appliance fitted, in this case the boiler

which he has said (1.5mm flex)

Good example of how a simple question can involve complex considerations. Next someone will ask is the cable surface mounted or surrounded by rockwool.

Good example of how a simple question can involve complex considerations. Next someone will ask is the cable surface mounted or surrounded by rockwool.

or chased in :D

Sorry, I thought the 1.5mm was also t&e, 1.5mm flex is very big for a boiler,

Sorry, I thought the 1.5mm was also t&e, 1.5mm flex is very big for a boiler,

nope always use 1.5mm for boilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The boiler is full of water and electrics but...
Replies
Views
You need one cable for power to boiler and...
Replies
Views
T
I had an electric boiler installed recently...
Replies
Views
Tom Duncan
T
Finally got an update from him. He cant do the...
Replies
Views
Back